Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

Daily Driver opinions

Tidy E36 318is with the M44 would have to be the cheapest 4 cylinder to run and maintain

Easy to sink $ into M54's to fix all the issues they have with degrading plastics and rubber but they are a nice engine once sorted. Been daily driving mine for bit over 2 years racking up 70,000km, 100km each day on the open road. Average about 10L\100km but that's with shorter 3.46 diff and 120+. Nanna mode is about 8L\100km

Mazdas are ok if you can get over the cheap interiors

My Honda's best is 5.2l/100km, worst 9.1 and average 7.2. It's daily used in Wellington rush hour and lots of short trips. 

Over the 74,000km I've had it, it's needed service items and nothing else. 

Just saying. 

Also, implying a later model Mazda has a worse interior than an e36 is a good laugh. 

11 hours ago, coop said:

[Re 320d]

I could not better 6.2l/100km in mine. 

A gentle run at 100 on flat road, say Hamilton to Auckland or Wellington to Hawkes Bay was usually 6.2l/100km

Odd. 6.2 is very routine economy in our 2002 320d Touring - we'd always get better than 600 miles (UK import) from typically less than 60 litres of fuel in a mix of SH1 and Hamilton or South Auckland traffic. I'll check the figures. (Not been keeping my thread up to date, but not used the car much recently.)

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Also, implying a later model Mazda has a worse interior than an e36 is a good laugh. 

No, you did that one all on your own

I have the M54 in my E39 530i and I easily get below 10L/100km. Usually around mid 9s, but that’s mostly motorway miles

Also, note that I am not a ‘nana’ driver ?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Odd. 6.2 is very routine economy in our 2002 320d Touring - we'd always get better than 600 miles (UK import) from typically less than 60 litres of fuel in a mix of SH1 and Hamilton or South Auckland traffic. I'll check the figures. (Not been keeping my thread up to date, but not used the car much recently.)

Is yours manual? 

Mine was an auto one. Not the first car I have had that has some discrepancies between fuel use, sounds as though yours is more frugal (I assume your speedo error isn’t reading excessively high, throwing out the total kays?!).

Driving sedately say cruising behind trucks at 90 my 320d may have dropped down to 6 or even less over a long distance. 

But yeah I never managed 1000km on a tank. I think I may have scraped 900km but that was it. 

The E39 530i Msport I had afterwards made more sense. I could manage about 8/100km open road same driving style. 

Mich nicer to car to drive long distance especially with the M54 and staggered wheels. Perfect for long distance NZ roads IMO. 

For an extra 9 or so litres to do my usual trip from Cambridge to Wellington, a no brainer. 

Even when I was looking at the E87 with the same engine I could not justify it after reading several forums and what sort of mileage people were getting out of them. 

50 minutes ago, coop said:

Is yours manual? 

Mine was an auto one. Not the first car I have had that has some discrepancies between fuel use, sounds as though yours is more frugal (I assume your speedo error isn’t reading excessively high, throwing out the total kays?!).

Tiptronic auto: A5S 390r, aka GM 5L40e. No swirl flaps, no EGR, meticulous servicing but 500000km.

my 120 d(manual and chipped)  average was 6.5 l 100 k,5.5 was easy to get on the open road,and i reckon you would get high 4s if you really tried on the open road if you lived in a flat part of new zealand.mmy fuellyy average was 6.4l 100 k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

my 120 d(manual and chipped)  average was 6.5 l 100 k,5.5 was easy to get on the open road,and i reckon you would get high 4s if you really tried on the open road if you lived in a flat part of new zealand.mmy fuellyy average was 6.4l 100 k

I sincerely doubt we'd ever get into the 4s with our 320d! I think we saw high 5s after a long, gentle drive, but that could have been a miscalculation.

I suspect you could get into the 4’s on the open road with a rear drive f30 320d with the 8 speed zf box. Best I’ve seen in my 335d xdrive touring is 5.2l/100k driving sedately Hamilton - Auckland 

6 hours ago, gjm said:

I sincerely doubt we'd ever get into the 4s with our 320d! I think we saw high 5s after a long, gentle drive, but that could have been a miscalculation.

the 120 had insanely high gearing you wouldnt change into 6th until at least 100 ks...going up through levin,foxton bulls that you could be in a line of traffic getting readings in the threes ,but that went up in smoke as you start climing after hunterville