Sign in to follow this  
Remorse

Bridgestone Tyres - Buy 1 get 1 half price

I am looking for some at the moment, priced up a set of RE003 from BS Select and they can do them for about the same price as a set of Dunlop SP 050+  Both are non-RFT.

Time to decide, any suggestions/opinions?

$1500ish for a set of 245/35/20 and 275/30/20

Yea and the 3 are up near retail to offset the 1 free offer. in this case  - 1 at retail to offset the 1/2 price of the second. 

Marketing 101

• Like 1

Can't speak for the Dunlop SP 050+ but RE003's are a really good tyre for a fair price. I'm not kind to them and have done about 15k on them only needing to replace rears now. fronts still have other 10/15k left in them....the rears have seen a fair few burnouts too:ph34r:.

Parents just got a new pair of Re003 in 245/40R17 to match the fronts and they were just over $500. PS4's are like $40 more from Hyper atm and are a far better tyre in all aspects.

Re003's maybe better value for $ in the 18"+ sizes but in 17" they are not worth it 

On 12/3/2018 at 3:25 PM, eliongater said:

@Young Thrash Driver is it time to start Bridgestone vs Beaurepaires vs Hyperdrive again?

The best one is whoever has the best special going at the time you need tyres :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Re003's maybe better value for $ in the 18"+ sizes but in 17" they are not worth it 

RE003 17" staggered e46 fitment cost me just over $200 per corner fitted, when I did it.  I think that's well worth it!

@Olaffor arguments sake... that's not really comparing apples to apples. Let's assume the 225s cost $150 each and the 245s cost $250 each, that gives you your average price of $200 per corner, but in reality the rears aren't much cheaper than the PS4s in this scenario. Correct me if I'm way off piste.

225/45R17 $220 per side and 245/40R17 $270 per side.

image.thumb.png.198a1f3577f9702b594c9b94eea0af4a.png

I could be wrong, but I think PS4s has been used to be the plural of PS4, rather than meaning the PS4S tyre?

@m325i 4 S being the larger sizes (19" +) or are there other differences?

@BozzaFC in this instance I've used 4s to indicate multiple  PS4 tyres. Michelin's website has it written as Pilot Sport 4 S (probably for the very reason of avoiding confusion)

Edited by eliongater

Yeah, the PS4S is the successor to the Pilot Super Sport; a more performance orientated version than the PS4 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eliongater said:

@Olaffor arguments sake... that's not really comparing apples to apples. Let's assume the 225s cost $150 each and the 245s cost $250 each, that gives you your average price of $200 per corner, but in reality the rears aren't much cheaper than the PS4s in this scenario. Correct me if I'm way off piste.

225/45R17 $220 per side and 245/40R17 $270 per side.

image.thumb.png.198a1f3577f9702b594c9b94eea0af4a.png

so you're at 800 for 4 - 200 per corner, or 982 for 4 - 245 per corner.  or simply 800 vs 982 - about 20% more.  Whichever way you look at it, you've got to make a value judgement on whether or not 4 RE003's or 4 PS4s are "good value".  

I was taking issue with the blanket statement questioning "RE003 in 17" not being good value but perhaps 18's are?", which I believe to be folly.  

I never compared 18"+ sizes so the difference in price maybe greater the larger you on which may change my view point on whether they are still worth it in the performance vs price category, hence the comment. Still stand by my 17" comment. Yeah everything is subjective in regards to price obviously but $50 a tyre is nothing for anyone semi serious about grip,  i don't see why you'd get a lesser tyre to save $~200 given you are already spending $800 to begin with. 

Ive had both on the exact same car E39 i currently own which is just a daily driver with stock suspension, very noticeable performance increase they are better in every regard, almost feel like semi slick compared to the soft RE003's (which i rate worse than the RE050A and S001 ive had on other cars)