Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

PFL E46 Xeon swap

Just wondering if any one has gone from standard headlights to xeons? And what is required. From a 328ci to a 2000 330ci

I didn’t do the swap, though I can confirm you do want them. ?. You had them in the Ci?

@Olaf correct, I had them in my previous 330ci and loved them. Have a line on a trade, just want to figure out any obscure coding requirements.

@///MPROVD and @M3_Power any ideas about the coding requirements? Will be able to swap the LKM over also.

Have done this on a 2002 530. I opened the headlights up and swapped the xenon parts over to the orginal headlight casings as the ones the xenon were in where badly damaged. Bought second hand ballasts and at the same time swapped in the brighter angel eye bulbs. Had no coding to do and no faults appeared. Same would apply surely to a 330 if you have the complete xenon headlights all the easier. Their must be heaps of write ups on this surely Mr Google could help

You can actually buy the xenon parts separate from the housing.

Otherwise pick some up from the US.  They are pretty cheap as there are a ton of 04/05 E46's around.

Also the LED rear lights too.

Edited by Driftit

@Driftit I've got a pair of entire headlights (and LKM, adjuster setup etc) lined up for cheap here in NZ, just not entirely sure how much/little I need to swap/code. Cheap LED tails sounds appealing though, do you have any examples or should I just browse eBay?

Just beware that they drive on the left in the states and the headlight settings may not be correct for here in NZ.

4 hours ago, allan said:

Just beware that they drive on the left in the states and the headlight settings may not be correct for here in NZ.

It's not relevant for vehicles of this age.  You just adjust them to suite.

It was only an issue with older lights where it relied of the pattern to be created by the glass/plastic itself.

and the xenon parts are seperate to the housing,as long as they fit the housing no issue.Having had xenons on the 120d i would always get them now if i could.Mind you the new toyota has LEDs and they seems perhaps even brighter

@eliongater

Coupe to coupe will just bolt up and plug in

First. Most headlight internals can be swap pfl coupe into fl sedan for example. So you can buy almost and pair and make them work for you (except fl coupe)

Second. You do not need to change lcm in fact it will cause more problems. Tamper light on the dash as kms are stored on that. 

Third. You dont always need to code but if the lights flicker or the lamp failure lights come up it will need coding. Some im happy to help with for free.  

Edited by ///MPROVD
  • Thanks 1