Sign in to follow this  
adro

1990 E30 325i SE

Haven't done anything drastic to this car in a while now. Thinking about changing the wheels so went snapping tonight for a bit of before after documentation. Excuse the babyseat in the rear ?

119,000 km

H&R sport springs

Koni adjustable dampening shocks

E90 Top hats

M3 CABs

3.73 LSD

Getrag 260 (manual conversion)

DSC_2049DSC_2051DSC_2036DSC_2041

• Like 8

Baby seats need no excuses!  

That has to be one of the very *nicest* e30's around.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KwS said:

Gorgeous car!

Some nice photography there too. 

Thanks, It's nice to shoot some photos on a dedicated camera and a lens longer than 20mm ?

a couple more:

DSC_2046DSC_2039

• Like 1

DSC_4036-Edit

DSC_4031

DSC_4030

Edited by adro
added a photo
  • Like 8

wow, sharp photography with a really nice subject!!

• Like 1

Finally put the style 5's on. Center caps are off until I get the tool. The center caps are also a slightly different silver, not sure what to do about this. Anyone refurbed a set of style 5's and have some pointers?

33961219018_b18d1b0699_b.jpg33961219008_08e074e6bc_b.jpg33961218968_93313749b6_b.jpg

• Like 7

AVP_2687

was nice light on the way home tonight

• Like 8

AVP_5104-2

Attended the MG & Constructors car club driver training day at Manfield last weekend. What a fun event. First time driving on the track and had an absolute blast.

• Like 5

Installed a Mtech II 370mm steering wheel.

49427221071_d08cd856b6_b.jpg

AVP_0145

Edited by adro
  • Like 6

Oooooh, sexy!

never been a fan of the e30 sedans but this thing is just awesome. 

nice photography as always.

• Like 1

123,000km

Car had been in with Jon @auto38 because it started bucking and lurching at 2000rpm, it had always had quite bad drivetrain lash but this bucking/lurching made it very unpleasant to drive. Jon diagnosed play in the U-Joints as probably the main culprit.

I dropped the exhaust and heatshields (not that fun on your garage floor) and took the driveshaft out to Bryan Howatt of Howatt engineering in lower hutt for a rebuild and balance. 

50255353153_4f8f05a1b2_b.jpg50255283653_cdbc5ea7d6_b.jpg

This manual swap came out of a members black convertible 325i that was stolen and then recovered....so the drive shaft is high mileage

Found the hanger bearing's rubber casing to be broken. Also found my mysterious exhaust leak.

50256200212_61511744e7_b.jpg50253774638_9012676874_b.jpg

Bryan worked his magic and a week later the drive shaft was ready to be picked up

50254613512_e52e8e3ef5_b.jpg50255353148_37050d65f8_b.jpg50255283613_f825797003_b.jpg

replaced the hanger bearing, both U joints, the little vibration damper, 1 exhaust stud (the bolt stayed on and I screwed out the stud) and new copper nuts.

50255282433_1cb3d8e5c7_b.jpgAVP_6117

AVP_6138-2

Car was running much better, no clonks from the drivetrain when the clutch engaged and disengaged but the bucking/lurching was still there @2000rpm in each gear.

I thought it must be the diff as there was still rotational play there when I put the driveshaft back in. Called  @beemwr who I sold my original diff too and had a good yarn. Then called Kayne Barrie who had rebuilt the current LSD in it and he said it sounded like the engine was running lean and to check my tune. So I chucked the Turner Motorsport chip back in (I had taken it out to trouble shoot the bad  fuel economy) and the lurch is gone. Car is pulling nice and healthy and drivetrain is smooth, and no mysterious exhaust smell in the cabin. Happy days.

Edited by adro
  • Like 8

Stunning photography as always Adro! Seeing as you ended up keeping the E39, is everything for sale at the right price?

1 minute ago, leichtbau said:

Stunning photography as always Adro! Seeing as you ended up keeping the E39, is everything for sale at the right price?

thanks! Ha, the E39 is still for sale at the right price ? I'm hoping to keep the E30 as long as I can. It's makes me smile everytime I drive it.

Brilliant!  Sorting that exhaust leak is a great result.  You must have reached the admirable 'nothing to do right now' point on your list.  Other than just polish, drive, enjoy. ?

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

Brilliant!  Sorting that exhaust leak is a great result.  You must have reached the admirable 'nothing to do right now' point on your list.  Other than just polish, drive, enjoy. ?

yeah, nothing pressing anyway. My WOF shop tell me there’s abit of play in the steering rack every 6 months. Would like to rebuild or upgrade that at some stage. Rear trailing arm bushings and subframe bushes are waiting in the parts cupboard but until The E39 cuts me some slack that’s all ‘would be nice’ stuff. 

• Like 1

Most of the play in my steering disappeared after we replaced steering guibo (and fasteners), inner and outer tie rods on each end.  There remains a little play, though it's vastly diminished.  I don't recall - have you replaced any of that lot?

Still looking for that opportunity for you to drive it again - it's a world away from what you drove on Alexandra Rd! ?

A stunning silver E30 and E39 - what a great combo ??

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 10:19 PM, adro said:

thanks! Ha, the E39 is still for sale at the right price ? I'm hoping to keep the E30 as long as I can. It's makes me smile everytime I drive it.

Car looks mint!

Don't tell us what the right price is for your E39. I'm justifying my spending on the E39 with the knowledge that it still cost less than your original asking price haha. As soon as I pass that point I might start pestering you again ?