Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

DISA - Repair kit or unit

Hey all, thinking of doing the DISA on the car

Anyone done it via rebuild kit? I see mixed reviews about it

Or should i just buy the complete unit

I believe the problem with a complete unit is that it'll eventually just have the same problem. I'm considering ordering this kit.

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

try searching   xxxxxxxxxx   on ebay.  they're out of Sheffield UK, from memory.  Seemed like essentially the same kit, and cost less.  It's what I did on my e46.  Hope that helps.

oops i6 Automotive, and they're not so cheap these days, https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/bmw-disa-valve-intake-adjuster-unit-aluminium-repair-kit-3-0-only.html

Edited by Olaf
updated to reflect i6 automotive and link.

Bought a Rein one from FCP. Currently @ 70,000km and is still ok. If it fails i will just return it as lifetime warranty.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Bought a Rein one from FCP. Currently @ 70,000km and is still ok. If it fails i will just return it as lifetime warranty.

The problem is if the stock ones fail they can send broken bits into the engine which is very expensive.

The modded ones don't have the same design flaw. 

Indeed. I was thinking failure as in the flap start getting loose\rattles or o-ring leaks when i typed that. 

4 hours ago, zero said:

The problem is if the stock ones fail they can send broken bits into the engine which is very expensive.

The modded ones don't have the same design flaw. 

^^ This.

My old E39 had a failed diaphragm.

I think it was from new though - at 115kms when I pulled it apart, it was as tight as new... but didn't actuate ?

Personally, I'd just buy a new one - If they first one lasted this long, the replacement probably will too.

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

Indeed. I was thinking failure as in the flap start getting loose\rattles or o-ring leaks when i typed that. 

The metal pin falls out and has sexy time with the valves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yes im aware of the worst case scenario but the pin is far more likely to come out of the valve upon rough removal or poor install. A loose valve flap gives you plenty of auditory warning.