Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Any recommendations on a UK-based online parts supplier?

Hey Team, 

According to my mechanic I’ll need new rear brakes in about 4-5000kms. Since I will be in the UK for a week or so in early ‘19 I want to pick them up there (epically the discs) and bring them back with me. 

Anyone know a good place in the UK to source items like this? 

Also any recommendation on brands? I was thinking of going with Brembo, Pagid or something like that. 

On a side note a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit a brake disc manufacturer in China. They were making parts for a range of brands including some well known ones. Apparently another common thing is for the factory to supply a sort of partially finished product to some big brands for final finishing. In a lot of ways that makes me lean more towards BMW branded or Pagid as I believe they completely control their own supply chain... 

Thanks the any advice. 

Yes, my understanding is there's plenty of Brembo kit - amongst other - made in China.  Still, they need to meet Brembo's QC standards.  Unless they're made of chocolate, should you be concerned?

Mick's Garage are pretty good as a northern-european based supplier.

Consider that buying  your parts while in the UK you'll be hit with 20% VAT; this may not be a meaningful offset to the freight costs of simply buying on line here and now.  There may be a VAT-free for export refund scheme still in existence though who knows how reliable that is, and whether your parts supplier is part of it.  I used to use both Euro Car Parts, and German Swedish & French, back when I lived there (another life ago, now).

Could be an opportunity to do business with Milland, here in NZ.

I did a quick look on Mick's Garage on '07 X5 V8 (apologies if I've forgotten your drivetrain!), rear brakes pair Brembo NZD262 plus NZD39.46 7 day freight.  That's a lot less hassle than wrangling brake rotors through airport check-ins, believe me!  It'd even be under the threshold for customs charges.  https://www.micksgarage.com/d/brake-discs/bmw/bmw-x5/x5-2007-to-2013/4-8-i-355-4799/products/3281906-6414-23281/brembo-rear-brake-discs-pair-

USA + Freight can work out very well too, IME.

Hope that helps.

Yeah a lot of the freight I’ve seen out of the USA for the discs is laughable. Micks garage out of the UK actually looks pretty good. 

VAT refund still exists in the EU and it’s easy to do at the airport. I have an extra bag to spare when I travel so I was going to pick up a pelican case and just bring that back with me, easy as. 

But why bother if I don’t have to! 

On the topic of Brembo and made in China. China made in and of itself is not a bad thing. All I’ll say is the manufacturing of some of this stuff is pretty basic and I would imagine pretty variable. Some of it might as well be made of chocolate. 

12 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Yeah a lot of the freight I’ve seen out of the USA for the discs is laughable. Micks garage out of the UK actually looks pretty good. 

I'm sure they'd politely point out that they're in the EU, as they're in Dublin, Eire.  South of the border! ?

PS - I forgot to mention Schmiedmann.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I'm sure they'd politely point out that they're in the EU, as they're in Dublin, Eire.  South of the border! ?

Oh well, it’s all the same until the end of March anyway. 

What would a pair of rear discs for an X5 weigh? That would be a huge chunk of your baggage allowance surely?

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

What would a pair of rear discs for an X5 weigh? That would be a huge chunk of your baggage allowance surely?

Two 30kg bags, sure I can make it. 

Edited by NZ BMW

Ended up taking Olaf’s recommendation of Mick’s Garage - can’t believe the shipping price. For $40 I won’t have to bother putting these in another bag, arrived in just over a week. 

6A4FDFE5-55D3-482A-BCA8-757A7CE31ED4.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Hold on... is that shipped to NZ?..?

Yes, I think it was $38 to be exact. Total cost of parts was $322. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Hold on... is that shipped to NZ?..?

Mick's Garage does flat-rate shipping via DHL.  It's quick and efficient.

• Like 1

Yes did the rear disks and pad on the wifes Skoda, Micks Garage were noticeable cheaper when freight is included.

• Like 1