Sign in to follow this  
BozzaFC

Beauty NZ New E39 540i M-Sport

Hmmmm - will be in the BoP from next weekend for a couple of weeks... a day trip to Rotorua may be on the cards haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if it needed work, which it no doubt will, it’s a bloody good deal for a bloody cool car 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

thats a good buy isnt it!?!?!?!?

sure is.  cheap enough to make it your BMW Club trip car, Paul!   Appears the pricey fail bits have been attended to?

24 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

i’d say timing chain guides will need doing pretty soon.

yeah good point, tensioners done but not the guides, apparently.

9 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Even if it needed work, which it no doubt will, it’s a bloody good deal for a bloody cool car 

Depends if u diy the chain guides job. Paying someone for it is probably around 2-4k it’s a big job.

The chain cover gaskets were done however which seems odd as at that point you’re over half way to replacing guides and chains etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

The chain cover gaskets were done however which seems odd as at that point you’re over half way to replacing guides and chains etc.

I agree. Makes no sense to do the chain cover gaskets and not the chains/guides themselves?

Edited by ctho

Probably looking to get rid of it\didn't want to spend any more on it by that point. I sure wouldn't want to pay someone to do a job the would nearly cost the value of that car haha.    

Edited by Eagle

Withdrawn from TM. Presumably sold? Please tell me one Bimmersport member bought it?!

Nope - He’s decided not to sell it anymore as he thought he was selling it too cheap. 

Edit: oops I thought this was a different car.  Didn't look hard enough!

Edited by GorGasm

I was interested in it when it was for sale in auckland back in October/November.

The car originally sold for $4200 with a stack of service paperwork from the previous owner and new wof at the time of sale.

Car should have been mechanically sound at that time. Not sure what has happened in the 1 month since it went from AKL to Rotorua and now the current seller is claiming to be selling it as they bought a 335i.

It was listed by the current seller for $4000 buy now then reduced to $3800 and then withdrawn.

• Like 1

Yeah that’s right @qube, I remembered seeing one like it a couple months ago asking slightly more, but wasn’t sure if it was the exact same car. 

I would like to think nothing has happened in the last month, and the reason for selling is really just as innocent as wanting a quick sale to make room for the 335i

its definitely the same car. I hope for the same reason as you say but who knows.. at those kms I dont think $4000 is a bargain or anything to be jumping up and down about

8 hours ago, qube said:

its definitely the same car. I hope for the same reason as you say but who knows.. at those kms I dont think $4000 is a bargain or anything to be jumping up and down about

it may not be the bargain of the century but a nice E39 is a nice car.Its nicer than most other  $4000 4 litre sedans

• Like 3

Its one of those cars that you gotta love, willing to sink money into, and intend to keep for some time, otherwise its just a ticking time bomb basically.

I would love to own one again some day but probably wont happen as the good ones are just getting harder and harder to find and the rest are just rubbish now.

2 hours ago, adro said:

Parts are significantly more expensive for an E39 540i than an E30 though I found out pretty quick ?

wait till you get an F chassis car.. you cant compare parts prices.. my waterpump was quoted $1322.21+GST from AKL BMW. lol

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, qube said:

Its one of those cars that you gotta love, willing to sink money into, and intend to keep for some time, otherwise its just a ticking time bomb basically.

wait till you get an F chassis car.. you cant compare parts prices.. my waterpump was quoted $1322.21+GST from AKL BMW. lol

I deleted my comment cause I thought it was abit dumb...who hasn't spent a tonne of money on maintenance on their BMW!  But totally agree on high km E39 is going to need some $$ put into it...and the E60's  are so cheap now...you really have to want an E39 to go in. Oh man.....i keep looking at F11 535i Tourings...... ?

Edited by adro
  • Like 1

personally I would skip the E60. The F10/F11's are very nice but keep in mind that these 3L twin turbo engines in the F chassis are even more complicated than say the 335i/135i engines in the E chassis cars.

Eg. the waterpump for the N54 in the E chassis was about $1000 vs my N55 in the F chassis $1300+

Also, I had a major problem with the valvetronic in my car that cost me $3k+ to sort out.. The higher mileage 535i will suffer from similar problems in my opinion.. but they are bloody nice haha. 

• Thanks 1

I still recall my ex boss buying a new silver 540 Motorsport - circa 2001. I thought how incredible that car was one day when he gave me a ride to see a client. I still remember wondering how good a M5 variant of the E39 maybe if the 540 Motorsport was so impressive.

What was not so incredible was how my boss tried to convince me it was a M5.!! 

Edited by ssbmw
Grammar
  • Like 1