Sign in to follow this  
Jun

New here, seriously thinking about E60 M5

2 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Yep interior wear (usually driver's seat bolster) is a gauge of mileage :) There shouldn't be much at 55KMs.

So far from the photos, the different wearing items seems to be consistent.  I hope this is a car that wasn't used because the owner had other cars, not no milage because it's a lemon.

2 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

I think PPI is a good idea even from a dealer, especially for an older car. Also clears the air re MBI and state of the car when cover commences. The dealer may be thorough and responsible, but independent verification is always a good plan as you have to remember that they have different objectives :o:) ?

It looks very tidy! Silverstone II on Silverstone Merino extended leather.
I particularly like blue on white as a combo but it doesn't come up very often... 

Have you looked up the VIN on https://www.mdecoder.com/ to get the full detailed spec?

You are an M5 nut, I didn't even know the real color and interior names.  Its Christmas eve not sure if I would lookup the VIN... hmmm... can't stop ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jun said:

So far from the photos, the different wearing items seems to be consistent.  I hope this is a car that wasn't used because the owner had other cars, not no milage because it's a lemon.

You are an M5 nut, I didn't even know the real color and interior names.  Its Christmas eve not sure if I would lookup the VIN... hmmm... can't stop ?

Well yes I am something of a keen bean ? The extended leather is a rare option. This is what the regular interior looks like... (well, except for the aftermarket steering wheel cover).

image.png.cb6f537bc9d17cd6759c7c7cd8136df3.png

And this is yours:

936072795.jpg

Both look good, but yours is rarer.

41 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Well yes I am something of a keen bean ? The extended leather is a rare option. This is what the regular interior looks like... (well, except for the aftermarket steering wheel cover).

Yes I could imagine you are detailed oriented as well on the tech sector side of things.  It's my wife that actually picked the interior, I showed her the photos above and she instantly said... "get this one".  I asked her why, she said "I don't know but this one has better interior".  She has very fast intuition.  I then asked her if she likes the extra white leather.  She said "yes definitely".

We don't have a lot of money so we budget best as we can, all of our cars we got 2nd hand.  However despite that we try to make the most out of the options we get.  Case in point:

R34 GTT - Our had lots of options including Xenon light (same as GTR), harder factory springs, bigger disc, better factory sound system, auto on light, etc. Options that I am aware not with the car is sun roof, skirts and rear spoiler.

LC90 - Factory leather (I didn't know it exists before, but I guess it does), sunroof, emu springs, etc. Not aware of any option that is not with the car.

955 Cayenne S - Not a turbo but options make its like a Turbo, Staggered Sport Techno wheels, Full leather interior (e.g. dashboard, sides are full wrapped), Eisenmann exhaust tips, Xenon, etc. Option that I know not in the car are sunroom and auto on light. 

I think the M5 will be fun to discover which option it has when we get it.  For us who can't afford the check the tick box options to include when we buy a new car, so our fun bit is discovering which tick box was ticked when the 2nd hand car was new ?

Good night and Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

give the vin to a bmw dealer nd they can give you a complete build/options sheet

On 12/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Jun said:

Yes that is not much difference from our Cayenne (possibly M5 is even more efficient... yup we use about 20-30L/100km). If I don't spool the turbo on our R34, the Skyline it's our most economical car (10L/100km), but that never happens and (20L/100km) is achievable.  The local BP petrol station attendants calls me as their most valuable customer. 

[snip]

Thanks for the info they are all helpful, I am lucky enough to have a wife and kids than understands the insanity of these cars.  Even my young daughter likes our old cars.  I just need to make sure we can eat 3x a day and still enjoy life.

quotes of the day.  GOLD! ?

• Haha 2

Congrats Jun, you're in for an adventure driving it back.  Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.  And I have some "M5 mirror" photo ideas...

• Like 1

Just found it on TM.  Nice colour combo,  I really like that silver and the extra leather is quite cool also.  I test drove a blue one with white interior and in the end I couldn't buy it because the white leather was so dirty :(.

No need to worry about the PPI really, the dealer needs to cover anything immediately after purchase.  And really, the person inspecting needs to be a M5 nut to provide any value.

A couple of things to not worry about:

The lurching SMG is pretty normal :)

Grinding noise going around tight slow corners is normal (grumpy diff).

Edited by GorGasm

Welcome! Enjoy the M5 and the many smiles it will put on your face!

2 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Just found it on TM.  Nice colour combo,  I really like that silver and the extra leather is quite cool also.  I test drove a blue one with white interior and in the end I couldn't buy it because the white leather was so dirty :(.

I was looking at this as well, we passed by last month when I wasn't serious about it.  The dealer said it was on the warehouse, etc.

No need to worry about the PPI really, the dealer needs to cover anything immediately after purchase.  And really, the person inspecting needs to be a M5 nut to provide any value.

I will do my final inspection as car enthusiast before handing in the remaining balance for the car.

A couple of things to not worry about:

The lurching SMG is pretty normal :)

Grinding noise going around tight slow corners is normal (grumpy diff).

I thought both issues are easily resolved by just stepping on the accelerator more?  ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jun said:

I was looking at this as well, we passed by last month when I wasn't serious about it.  The dealer said it was on the warehouse, etc.

I will do my final inspection as car enthusiast before handing in the remaining balance for the car.

I thought both issues are easily resolved by just stepping on the accelerator more?  ?

Grinding noise going around tight slow corners is normal (grumpy diff) . 

Yes I have binding/slipping with my LSD since Winger did the 'Final Drive' (diff) service recently. Kinda annoying. Had them change the fluid to the one with additive but it's still doing it - but I'm not sure if they did the recommended driving pattern on the service bulletin. Am sceptical and have asked them if they did it ...

Probably didn't.  Mine has had fluid changed and it's still grumpy for the first few tight turns.

We drove the M5 up a few days ago, clocked about 400kms now.  So far it has been great, aside from getting used to the SMG on Wellington hills when I have to stop and go again.  I have already done 3 things on it already.

• the circle dance to remove the diff binding, gladly it seems to have been fixed by the 6th counter clockwise circle.
  • reset SMG, the SMG is ok but it slightly lags every so slightly from other M5 I have driven.  Or possibly I only driven the other M5 in better conditions, only a few times on slow stop and go situations.  So far after the reset it is better, but I would imagine our M5 may still have original clutch and pump only has done 53k kms when we got it.  SMG is probably the big item to be planned for if it does get significantly worse, but yesterdays driving after the reset we are pretty happy with it.
  • wheel alignment, it drove pretty ok from down south.  However once in Wellington I put in the right tire pressure and was more critical about it.  I had some special deal with Tony's for my old cars so I used one of my alignment for the M5.  Much much better with wheels realigned, not that it was bad before, actually it was the best M5 I have driven in terms of steering feel.  It certainly feels less worn down and straight than the other M5 I have test driven.

The car also came with almost new S001 tires, new front disc and pads, still pretty think rear disk and pads.  So I guess those items won't be needed to look after for the near term.

My first impressions

• M5 is definitely a lot more comfortable on long drives than I thought.  It is pretty smooth and comfortable despite being in low profile tires.
  • Definitely not a city car, or hilly city car.  SMG on stop and go traffic hills or busy roundabouts can be weird and nerve racking at times.  However I had expected it to be like this, in Wellington on the streets I drive on none rush hour it is still definitely a nice car to drive.  Love the twisty roads of Wellington on the M5.
  • Rear passenger is a lot bigger than I expected, comfy and my daughter loves the seat warmers
  • Car is smaller and not as wide as I expected it to be, which is great.  I have seen normal E60, driven an M5 but it is only clocking more than 100kms I get to understand how big it is. Easier to drive on Wellington narrow streets and easier to clean.
  • Although it is not M5 related, now I understand why people are getting crazy over Skylines.  I had already an affinity on Skylines even before it become Godzilla status, C110 and R30 etc was known to be when I was younger.  Definitely the M5 is better in almost every department (not Reliability or city driving), the R34 in almost stock form is not far behind.  No wonder these R32-34 Skylines are now appreciating in value.  I can say that with a small amount of mods it would be on par with the M5.  These Skylines are not a bargain anymore today, prices have gone 2-3 times from a decade ago.  The Skyline experience is much more raw, even it is slower at its almost stock form.  That said the V10 howl is truly unique, S85 and RB engines are definitely engines that defined their era.

Thank you for all the useful information, it has been valuable.  I hope to see you on the roads and/or speak to you personally, feel free to approach us if you see us.  If a lady is driving it, it is probably my wife after all it is her car.

DSC07564.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

DSC07577.jpg

• Like 4

looks super!  congratulations, Jun.  Hanging on to the Datsun for another decade should see you profit handsomely on it, even if it's just in careful storage.

10 minutes ago, Olaf said:

looks super!  congratulations, Jun.  Hanging on to the Datsun for another decade should see you profit handsomely on it, even if it's just in careful storage.

Olaf, I have done more than a decade of ownership on the Nissan (Datsun) R34 Skyline.  Over a dozen years now, so I can clearly say the car has been with us longer than any owner including those at Japan.  Here it is on "Crown Range Road", driving RWD on uphill and ice was interesting.  I did it as slow and safe as possible.  On the same trip, we clocked in 4,007 kms about the average yearly kms we do on the R34.  We hope the M5 will do us just as well, R34 is clearly retired from its NZ cruising days.  Need to save up to eventually make it a nice project car.... remember 3 meals a day first before the car expenses!

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

Edited by Jun
  • Like 2

Car looks great! 

Have to disagree with you on the Skyline though.  No amount of money will bring the Skyline close to the M5 and the reverse is also true if you get what I mean?  It's like taking two roads two their ends, they both go somewhere amazing but totally different.  A good car to hold on to though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Car looks great! 

Have to disagree with you on the Skyline though.  No amount of money will bring the Skyline close to the M5 and the reverse is also true if you get what I mean?  It's like taking two roads two their ends, they both go somewhere amazing but totally different.  A good car to hold on to though!

I agree with your disagreement.  You are right, they are a different experience.  This is why I got an M5, I was thinking a lot because of this... what if they are similar.  Eventually I decided the experience is different enough and worth a try to get one.  Thank you for the comment, it is very correct.

Btw my daily commute goes through a short tunnel.... woohoo! Inline 6 turbo smooth rev... V6 rough roar... V8 burble... V10 screamer!  Life is complete!

• Like 1