Sign in to follow this  
arcon

New car on the horizon...

I'm looking to upgrade my E46. New car will be at least 2014, more recent than 2016 is probably beyond budget. I don't need a high powered car, but no less than 180bhp. Three options that appeal so far 125i or 320i (Msport models)... or a Merc A-250 lol. The 3 series I've owned over the past decade have had awesome handling, but interiors are a let down... this hasn't improved much with newer beamers. That's one thing that's drawing me to other brands but I've never driven Merc/Audi/VW etc. They are probably very different cars but does anyone have opinions on models from those years?

a nice sport model F20 125i is very nice, aso a bit more power than the 320i.

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

A250 4matic. Or a diesel.

I'm  fan of the GLA250 4-Matic. Fabulous smaller car.

Diesel is always good, been pottering around in father's Maxima and uncles W211 3.0V6 for the past two weeks, and find that I truly miss the torque of diesel, and the smoothness of the DSG. worth the extra RUCs and servicing one pays to be honest.

11 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Diesel is always good, been pottering around in father's Maxima and uncles W211 3.0V6 for the past two weeks, and find that I truly miss the torque of diesel, and the smoothness of the DSG. worth the extra RUCs and servicing one pays to be honest.

i like being able to do just about any trip without having to stop to fill up

• Like 2

An update, had to delay the purchase but still looking around. I'm actually surprised how expensive non-euro cars are getting. For example in the used range I'm looking at a Mazda 3 SP25 would be an option, but on average a 120i M Sport is only $5K more, and within 8kW power of the Mazda?? Mazda 2s & 3s have a reputation of road noise, I would test them obviously but I'm wondering how that would compare to the 120i...

Here's a bit of a wildcard :

One option I would seriously consider if you can put the badge aside, is the Hyundai i30 Limited.

I test drove a bucket load of cars recently before settling on the M140i, and of all the current model cars I drove (Mazda3/6, VW Polo GTI/Golf GTI/R, Seat Leon Cupra, M140i, M120i, i30 Ltd, i30N, Kona Electric, Ioniq Electric, GT86, A45 AMG, Audi S4) the i30 Ltd and the Golf GTI were the only other models I felt rivalled the M140i in the 'value for money' stakes.

Not sure what your budget is and they're $43k new before haggling, but I'm sure they'll drop in aftermarket quick enough. And for that, you get a lovely free-revving 1.6T engine with 150kw/202hp engine with 265nm torque from 1500rpm, a proper dual clutch transmission, and pretty much every mod-con you can think of.

https://www.hyundai.co.nz/small-cars/i30/features

i30-SR-Premium-17-1.jpg

i30-SR-Premium-16.jpg

11 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

One option I would seriously consider if you can put the badge aside, is the Hyundai i30 Limited.

Thanks looks quite tidy, I haven't been able to see one second hand but will keep a look out. 30K budget would be the limit.

would you be interested in my 2012 M135i? its not as new as you'd like but its way more powerful and quick. lots of goodies and maintenance done also :)

• Sad 1

Thanks I'll have to pass - about 99% of my driving will just be around town so a turbo 3.0 six is probably overkill for me, although sure sounds fun lol :)

then take a look at the smaller engined 1 series - 116/118/120/125, they are all fantastic cars