Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

Two written off i3's up for auction

I wonder what scrap carbon fibre is worth these days? ;)

16 minutes ago, aja540i said:

I wonder what scrap carbon fibre is worth these days? ;)

Can it be recycled in any way at all?
Some of the panels might be usable for other purposes - cut and re bond them, perhaps?

56 minutes ago, gjm said:

Can it be recycled in any way at all?
Some of the panels might be usable for other purposes - cut and re bond them, perhaps?

It can be recycled but not into new cars, the fibres get shorter every time it is recycled, and the resin is heated up to remove it and doesn't get re-used, not sure what they get used for next but you could make a few of them from an i3!

My guess is that there must be damage to the carbon fibre core for them to write it off. As far as I know, there is only 1 place in NZ that can repair it

37 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Car for idiots, that typically can't drive = crashes

Naawww come on, I think they’re a cool little city car. Just way too expensive. 

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

Naawww come on, I think they’re a cool little city car. Just way too expensive. 

Hey, I'd have one as I appreciate all cars.

:) 

6 hours ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

What is with all these i3's getting written off?

Do they accelerate like a Tesla? If so, then I'd put my money on this being the reason.

To me its more the people who buy these are aren't the people you would associate with having good driving skills.

2s7eb0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

What is with all these i3's getting written off?

Expensive parts (insurers can’t use their usual tactics to force suppliers into a race to the bottom on pricing) and expensive repair procedures = very high repair costs, pushing it beyond point of economic repairs. Even on not too big an impact, one of the side effects of making cars crumple to protect the occupants.

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

Do they accelerate like a Tesla? If so, then I'd put my money on this being the reason.

I've not driven one of these. I can say not all EVs accelerate "like a Tesla" but even on the Leaf, if you floor on an uphill, you can easily lose contact on the rear tires. This happens a lot to us coming out our road turning onto a busy road with narrow gaps. Even with very good tires, it's hard to keep traction and I could see someone losing control, or not having enough traction/grip to get out of a tight spot if inexperienced. In a straight line it is a wee tiny tiny bit like driving a Tesla, I suppose. :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, M3AN said:

No, but have you seen how narrow the tyres are?  Its a bit concerning that a car that cost north of $70k a few years ago is now uneconomic to repair because of fairly minor damage. I wonder how long it will take the insurers to catch on and bump the premiums accordingly?

• Like 2

A Tesla S in "Ludicrous Mode" is crazy fast off the line... much, much faster than the R35 GT-R I thrashed for a while in the Netherlands (probably the fastest road car I've ever driven). I've never been in a fighter jet (although I have been in a official US Navy simulator) but I imagine the feeling is similar! It's a proper punch in the guts.

It's starting to get crazy all these irreparable cars and often, even the cost of basic repairs that require replacement electronic modules. We thought airbags were bad in the late 90's and early 00's but things are getting a bit silly.

If you can only get your car repaired at a licensed dealer and with astronomically expensive parts in the future I see insurance companies simply saying "no" and regulators saying "yes".

It started to go downhill when you needed to get your battery coded to your car lol...

The price of safety... upside for the insurance companies is that they don't have to pay out $$$ for injuries and rehabilitation, etc. caused in an accident, or at least the payments are less as the injuries are not as severe. So the overall cost to the insurance company is much less as the repair of the car is a small amount in the overall scheme of things.

Not sure if this holds true in NZ, with the ACC scheme doing away with the ambulance chasing "where there's blame there's a claim" type payments. Certainly in places like the US, Uk, etc. it makes more sense.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:50 PM, M3AN said:

Nope, but they are really, really nice to drive. Like a giant electric skateboard or electrified go-cart. RWD, de-tuned 0-100kph as it was "too fast for segment", +180bhp with a ton of torque in a 1200kg package. 

I test drove one and would have no problem buying for City+Suburbs driving, but I know people that use them as their one and only cross country car (not this country mind you).

Edited by mattsimis
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 11:44 AM, Gaz said:

My guess is that there must be damage to the carbon fibre core for them to write it off. As far as I know, there is only 1 place in NZ that can repair it

Interested to hear what the one place that can repair them is? I work with carbon for a living and would be keen to give a wrecked i3 a go.

Happened to see two i3s yesterday. I knew the tyres were skinny, but I didn’t realise that were THAT skinny.

You could swap them with bicycle tyres and nobody would be able to tell the difference 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

You could swap them with bicycle tyres and nobody would be able to tell the difference 

They would... you'd get told "Bro, your bike's wheels look gay!".

• Haha 1