Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

S54 M-Coupe Anyone?

19 hours ago, M3_Power said:

I think the best examples of that are Lexus LFAs .... apparently you can still buy brand new 2010 cars never used, registered or PDI’d.

After a used car dealer brought in that thirteen year old Merc from Singapore the rules were tightened up on what constituted a "brand new" car, and the maximum age of the car is supposed to be two years and still qualfy as a "new" car.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

the maximum age of the car is supposed to be two years and still qualfy as a "new" car.

Explains why my late 2012 build is registered as 2014 (when it was sold new).

Thought the registrations were by the year of manufacture, not when a car was actually sold. 

How do you mean? The registration by  year part? I think it is only the americans and their "its a '67 Chev" type designations that are different, and even then it's more a Model Year type thing.

Annoyingly I see a few people are trying to put the Model Year thing on their BMWs when selling them, which is BS when there are three lots of updates each year with BMW and MINI.

39 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Annoyingly I see a few people are trying to put the Model Year thing on their BMWs when selling them, which is BS when there are three lots of updates each year with BMW and MINI.

Yep, pointed that to a dealer I got mine off. Was one of the reasons to knock 10k off the asking price :D  

NZ uses "Year of First Registration" which is stupid. It's possible for it to bare no relevance to the actual age of the car. There is no consistency anyway.

Common sense would say that using the "Model Year" as designated by the VIN descriptor would be appropriate.

34 minutes ago, Allanw said:

NZ uses "Year of First Registration" which is stupid. It's possible for it to bare no relevance to the actual age of the car. There is no consistency anyway.

Common sense would say that using the "Model Year" as designated by the VIN descriptor would be appropriate.

The problem with the VIN approach is that VIN isn't used in Japan. The vast majority of our cars coming from Japan, makes that method tricky. It can be black magic deciphering year of manufacture versus model year for a Japanese made car from numbers alone.

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

It can be black magic deciphering year of manufacture versus model year for a Japanese made car from numbers alone.

Correct, they use chassis numbers instead which are fairly easily decoded (based on my experience with Subaru anyway). Won't give you nowhere the same amount of information that you can extract from BMW VINs though but DOM is definitely there. 

4 hours ago, Allanw said:

Except that within the VIN standard there is still the option to use the "0" designation for no MY code, which I believe is used unless the car is going to a market where the MY is mandatory information. So for example most NZ new vehicles would have that set for their MY.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:56 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Except that within the VIN standard there is still the option to use the "0" designation for no MY code, which I believe is used unless the car is going to a market where the MY is mandatory information. So for example most NZ new vehicles would have that set for their MY.

Well, that's easy to fix! Make it mandatory.

BMW may do that, but VW don't.

The year is easy to look up, because it's right there is the VIN. It seems silly to leave it out, even if it's not a "requirement". Parts ordering would be easier - I know the BMW dealers struggled with getting me the right parts... though that was usually just because they had no idea what they were doing, or how a car worked...

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2018 at 9:47 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Good on you Al! Enjoy, looking forward to more pics and details on here please..

Just had the wheels re-done in Shadow Chrome... 

69950A07-81FA-4CA7-A0ED-D5A696360EBD.jpeg

9B0BAC92-075D-4DCD-8CFB-052E8B432A19.jpeg

A69F84A6-AF5C-44D9-805E-0B6677332EAF.jpeg

60A5C8EB-BA36-481C-9DCD-016435391B67.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, qube said:

how much and who did the job? looking to do something similar..

Arrow Wheels in Auckland, $390 per wheel excl GST.

They look very good with that colour car, sexy as hell.

That's up there pricewise for the wheels, what condition were they when you took them in?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

They look very good with that colour car, sexy as hell.

That's up there pricewise for the wheels, what condition were they when you took them in?

They were not curbed and good condition but finish on the paint not great.