Sign in to follow this  
SteveArmy90

Illegal to fit normal tyres after run-flat??

Hi everyone. I've been looking over this forum and others. I understand the 135i was going to be firm, but it may just be a bit too firm. I've done some research and you get the idea - I want normal tyres.

Called up both Beaurepaires masterton and Bridgestone Masterton. They both refuse to replace the run-flats with non run-flats, citing that it's illegal to do. 

Is this really the case?! 

News to me. Beaurepairs replaced mine on my 135i with pilot sport 4's with no issues (in Auckland). Best 'mod' for them, transformed the driving experience completely.

• Like 1

It is ok to do so but you must have all 4 tyres the same. IE all runflats or all normal tyres. Can't mix and match

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SteveArmy90 said:

Hi everyone. I've been looking over this forum and others. I understand the 135i was going to be firm, but it may just be a bit too firm. I've done some research and you get the idea - I want normal tyres.

Called up both Beaurepaires masterton and Bridgestone Masterton. They both refuse to replace the run-flats with non run-flats, citing that it's illegal to do. 

Is this really the case?! 

No. You just need to replace all four tires with the same type.

Michelin PS4S for the win

• Like 1

"Called up both Beaurepaires masterton and Bridgestone Masterton. They both refuse to replace the run-flats with non run-flats, citing that it's illegal to do. "
I've heard of this tyre shop stupidity from US forums but never before in NZ, that's shocking. It's certainly not illegal. 

With that kind of lack of knowledge, it makes me wonder if they know how to put on and balance tyres correctly! 

Are there no independent shops in Masterton you could get to help you out?

One of the first things I did with my E70 was throw away the runflats before they turned my spine to dust.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, Gaz said:

It is ok to do so but you must have all 4 tyres the same. IE all runflats or all normal tyres. Can't mix and match

I thought we'd worked out it's on a per-axle basis.

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

I thought we'd worked out it's on a per-axle basis.

I must have miss read your post sorry. Need all 4 the same have asked a number of WOF inspectors and all confirmed this

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I must have miss read your post sorry. Need all 4 the same have asked a number of WOF inspectors and all confirmed this

wow.  Not doubting what you're saying; it's just double-confirmation that the whole system is clearly f%#ked, if from one person to the next they can't consistently read/understand/communicate their own rules.

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

wow.  Not doubting what you're saying; it's just double-confirmation that the whole system is clearly f%#ked, if from one person to the next they can't consistently read/understand/communicate their own rules.

absolutely, instead of rewriting the whole section they just keep adding parts to it which make it more and more confusing as it tends to contradict itself throughout

On 12/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, Gaz said:

You can mix from front to rear but not left to right. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, Matth5 said:

"Called up both Beaurepaires masterton and Bridgestone Masterton. They both refuse to replace the run-flats with non run-flats, citing that it's illegal to do. "
I've heard of this tyre shop stupidity from US forums but never before in NZ, that's shocking. It's certainly not illegal. 

Lack of competition allows mutual understandings borderline collusion between businesses to exploit markets with an inelastic demand.

Another words, you need a tyre? We'll sell you the tyre we want you to buy, not the other way around. 

7 hours ago, BeZerKaNZ said:

You can mix from front to rear but not left to right. 

This says otherwise 

2. All the tyres on a vehicle class MA, MB, MD1 or NA that was first registered or re-registered in New Zealand from 1 October 2002, other than vehicles that are incapable of exceeding 30km/h or are 30 years old or more, are not of the same carcass type (ie mixed steel ply, fabric radial ply, bias/cross ply, run-flat).

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

This says otherwise 

2. All the tyres on a vehicle class MA, MB, MD1 or NA that was first registered or re-registered in New Zealand from 1 October 2002, other than vehicles that are incapable of exceeding 30km/h or are 30 years old or more, are not of the same carcass type (ie mixed steel ply, fabric radial ply, bias/cross ply, run-flat).

Another blanket meaningless legislation. The exact same model car, registered on two different days, can have a front/back mix of tyres, or not. Because someone said so.

I can see some potential merit in all 4 tyres being run-flat or not (maybe), but mixing tyres on a vehicle (front/back, not on the same axle - that is dangerous) presents no hazard. The only argument in favour of 'all the same' is the possibility of tyre rotation causing mixed carcass construction being present ont he same axle.

However, if you want to take the ridiculousness of some poor WoF inspection further, I was presented with a 'fail' because my car had different manufacturer tyres on the same axle. (Correct size etc radials were fitted all round.) Same carcass construction, weather use, size, speed and load rating... I took it up with the manager of the premises and had a WoF pass issued after I cited the manual entries to him while he read it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

you going to carry a jack and space-saver spare?

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

you going to carry a jack and space-saver spare?

A tyre pump powered by the cig lighter socket, and a can of tyre slime will do just fine. I've had several punctures without a spare and the pump was always enough to get me to a tyre shop. Have yet to use the slime.

The low tyre pressure sensor will warn you well before the pressure gets too low to drive on, so you can pump the tyre back up and drive carefully to a tyre shop, if the warning goes off again then you've got enough time to pull over and pump it up some more :)

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 2

I just have the all in one aerosol can puncture repair. Never used it though. Do they work?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, m325i said:

I just have the all in one aerosol can puncture repair. Never used it though. Do they work?

Same, 100,000km+ of non run flats, and never had to use it. Have had a puncture a couple of times, but tpm picked it up with plenty of pressure to spare to get it repaired. 

I replaced the rear run flats on the wifes 120i last year, EAgle F1s, left the hankook run flats on the front, no questions asked. Flew through a WOF without quibble as well. I''d be surprised if your average WOF shop would check if run flat or not, surely they just check tread pattern is the same across each axle and that the tread depth is within limit.

Cheers Guys, 

I'll know for next time around. I went to an independent mechanic and they said no as well. I thought I'd take the rims off, have cases removed, buy cases at another shop, have the cases put on the rims, then fit at home. Nope, beaurepaires refused to remove them as they knew what I was trying to do.

I'll admit it, I ragequit and just bought runflats again from bridgestone. I'd spent the whole morning running around town and was going to swear at the next condescending f**k that said no to me. They all harped on about the design of the car and the "suspension geometry was designed around the tyres" and all sorts. I bought RE050's. 

Now another story, I'd run over a large piece of wood in the middle of the night (before the tyre fiasco) and had an alignment done at Beaurepaires Masterton to correct any wrong caused by the hit.

My front tyres subequent to that alignment were wearing on the outside like crazy and tramlining as well. I had driven it a max of 2000km after that alignment before buying tyres, so I decided to have another alignment done at Bridgestone.. Here's the sheet, 6 degrees of toe in the front!  Bridgestone only charged me a few packs of Chocolate bikkies for the second alignment. My kind of deal!

52348572_477280902802636_8947437585135828992_n.jpg.05a1a167382658ab278659d8529d097f.jpg

Edited by SteveArmy90

that was frustrating to read..

why the hell cant you fit tyres of your choice?

to be honest, if it was me, I would have bought a new set of wheels, put on tyres of my choice, then fit at home and just sell off the old set.

• Like 1

Well, I certainly wouldn't have given Beaurepaires my money! ?

• Like 1

Had no issues converting mine at an independent Tyre shop. No questions asked, very good price too.

I have to admit though the car feels noticeable softer in corners, probably the only positive thing about runflats... 

• Like 1