Sign in to follow this  
Crozzy

New BMW Owner from Wellys

Kia ora guys,

Just bought myself a new (well, new for me) 1999 328i (E46) for Christmas. She's definitely seen her fair share of the country sitting at 322k, but I must say she's in really good nick. No electrical problems at all! [that I've noticed]

I used to have a '98 318ti E36 which blew a headgasket not too long ago. I know they're the cheap bmw of the family, but I loved the way it drove and was a major influence on me buying this one.

Showing her age on the outside, missing badges and such that I'll replace, but under the hood she's very tidy. Well serviced and the previous owners cut me an awesome deal on it, being the festive season and all. That being said I'm planning a coolant system refresh soon as they couldn't tell me if it had been done and I'd rather the piece of mind.

Anyway, just stopping by to say hello, and you may see me around on here with newbie questions and such if I can't find the answers myself. Thankfully, I've done a bit of lurking already and it seems there isn't much you folk don't know about these vehicles!

Churr

Final note, possibly a stupid question but she needs a new right front shock for the wof (current one's leaking). Is oem the best option or is there aftermarket options. Not looking for anything fancy, just want to get her on the road legally so I can really see what she's got.

bmw.jpg

• Like 2

Cool car! With the shocks, I would probably recommend OEM for consistency?

• Thanks 1

Hi Jacob, and welcome to Bimmersport!  Not only have you bought the e46 (the best 3er IMHO), but you've also bought the best colour** too! 

Excellent idea to ensure the cooling system is in good order, quickest way to turn an M54 into a boat anchor is to neglect the cooling system.  BMW Coolant *only* - it's reasonably priced from Winger BMW. - accept no substitutes.   If you join BMW Car Club NZ you'll net 10% discount off of parts on production of your membership card.

Re shocks, Sachs is your OEM part.  You'll want to replace the fronts as a pair.  There are other options like Bilstein Touring, or even Meyle, if you're after somthing that 'does the job' without going nuts on cost or performance.  At 300+ kms you'll probably want to replace the strut bearing too, and some of the associated hardware/bushings etc.  If you're in a hurry you might find Monroe or somesuch at Supercheap or REPCO.   FCP Euro in the USA offer decent pricing and service, and you can expect your parts in a week or less at this time of year.  what's my duty.org, xe.com, and realOEM.com***  are your 'friends' (great sources of info), if you start ordering online from abroad.  

I warmly suggest you subscribe to the Wellington Events Room in order to keep abreast of what's happening.  There is a good variety of events in the Wellington region, from coffee meets, cruises, road trips, and of course the monthly Pub Night (first thursday of every month) organised by BMW Car Club NZ wellington crew (Bimmersporters always welcome).  Next Pub Night is Thursday 3 January, do come along if you can make it.

Hope that helps!  Looking forward to seeing you at an event soon.  And you should find plenty of help in the Bimmersport community!   

** Disclosure:  I've been running an Orientblau e46 325i Touring since 2012, including cooling system refresh, full suspension refresh, trans rebuild, braking system replacement, coils, other stuff I've forgotten, and general maintenance.

*** this is linked to your VIN sourced from carjam based on your number plate.

PS:  cheap aftermarket badges are a false economy, delaminating quickly.

Edited by Olaf
badgers
  • Thanks 1

Jeez it's even on Bridgestone RE002 or RE003, so it appears to have been well-loved.  score!

9 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Cool car! With the shocks, I would probably recommend OEM for consistency?

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Hi Jacob, and welcome to Bimmersport!  Not only have you bought the e46 (the best 3er IMHO), but you've also bought the best colour** too! 

Wow, lots of great info, really appreciate that. Planning to visit Winger today to price up the coolant stuff. Not gonna lie, I was considering using other coolant as oem stuff is typically more pricey, but if it's a reasonable price as you say then I'll use that for sure.

Will try make it to that meet if I'm back from my holiday in time. How do you subscribe to subforums? (noob)

I've spent more than my fair share of time on realoem the last few days, brilliant resource, thanks for the tips.

And finally, yes she's on 002s, the rears are getting low, but an excellent tyre and definitely impressed me at the viewing to see them, made buying it easier.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, appreciate it. Have a good new years

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crozzy said:

Planning to visit Winger today to price up the coolant stuff. Not gonna lie, I was considering using other coolant as oem stuff is typically more pricey, but if it's a reasonable price as you say then I'll use that for sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, appreciate it. Have a good new years

Important thing about the BMW coolant is it has the right lubricants and corosion inhibitors and stuff in it.  Runs you about $40 for 2 bottles.  There's about 9 million pages on the web about why not use aftermarket, if you want to read...

and, you're welcome!  

Edited by Olaf
  • Thanks 1

Kia ora Jacob.

Yes, definitely get the correct coolant, as the other stuff can be damaging to some of the bmw's aluminium parts. Trans coolers have been known to fail from using the wrong coolant, which instantly lunches your trans, and fills your engine with milkshake.

As for shocks, in my experience the bmw stock shocks dont last long. You also want to replace them in pairs. Personally I would be going for decent aftermarket shocks like koni or bilstein as they do make a difference. 

With your high kms I would check the rear ones too. With the car safely jacked up (use jackstands to be safe) unbolt the lower bolt that holds the bottom of the rear shock to the hub. Then just compress it by hand to see just how munted they are.

Welcome to the e46 life.

• Thanks 1

Did the previous owner do the CCV and the vacuum hoses.   I am doing that job at the moment on an E46 328i.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zero said:

With your high kms I would check the rear ones too. With the car safely jacked up (use jackstands to be safe) unbolt the lower bolt that holds the bottom of the rear shock to the hub. Then just compress it by hand to see just how munted they are.

Nathan's right.  True of any car, if you do the rears, it'll show you how f%$ked your fronts are.  And vice versa.

Rears:  you'll definitely need new shock mounts.  Meyle HD for the win.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I've been to Winger and priced up the coolant/waterpump/thermostat so that's the next project once work starts up again in the new year. I managed to score a decent (albeit also high k's) second hand shock from Pick a Part just to get me through a WOF and running for now, I'm looking around at new shocks to redo all of them, after the engine is happy. I'll do the mounts and such then too. Currently she's overcooling on the motorway (sadface) so really want to address the thermostat first.

Ran the codes on the scanner at work (forgot to say, I'm a heavy diesel apprentice) and I'm getting code 123 for Electronic Thermostat Control which I'm guessing is due to it not closing properly, should be sorted with the replacement. There was a couple old misfire codes too, but I cleared them and drove for about 100kms to do some chores, scanned again and haven't come up again thankfully, may have been old. I'll check the plugs when I get a chance anyway.

Then I need some new rear tyres, these ones are a great manufacturer but the left rear is very unevenly work, bad alignment, and there's no chance the other is going to pass another WOF, so time to retire (pardon the pun) them soon.

But if a list to get through, but we'll get there!

6 hours ago, FIAT 131R said:

Did the previous owner do the CCV and the vacuum hoses

They weren't very helpful with the history of the car sadly, I'll have to give it all a look over once I get the change.

Edited by Crozzy
Premature post-ulation
  • Like 1

If you are pricing up parts, alot of us import from overseas as the dealer prices here are crazy.

I use schmeidmann.com and alot of others use fcpeuro.com.

Just make sure you make each order total below $400nzd so you dont have to pay any gst or customs taxes. 

• Thanks 1