Sign in to follow this  
jamesmcd

Insurance and tuning question

Hey all - obviously this depends on the company (in this case Provident), but I’m looking for people’s experiences. I’ve already paid for a year of cover on the basis that my vehicle isn’t modified, which it isn’t. However, I am interested in doing some performance tuning this year. Obviously I would tell them that I’m doing this, but I was wondering how badly this affects the premium?

I would say they wouldn't cover it at all.  I wouldn't tell them.

Get some quotes from other insurers and disclose the mods in the quote request, ask them if the modifications are ok. If they say yes in an email, you've got approval in writing.

Some companies are more friendly to mods than others so it really depends on who you're with. Safest is to find a company this is ok with it. 
Trademe Insurance for example will even insure modifications if you specify them, I've got my coilovers and rims insured. 

6 hours ago, GorGasm said:

I would say they wouldn't cover it at all.  I wouldn't tell them.

nothing like playing insurance roulette eh?  From having your claim denied, insurance cancelled, and even a permanent record with the insurers, due to undisclosed modifications?  No thanks.  You might enjoy that game; I could not recommend it.

"have you ever had insurance cancelled or refused?"  An insurance record lasts forever.

YMMV.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Olaf said:

nothing like playing insurance roulette eh?  From having your claim denied, insurance cancelled, and even a permanent record with the insurers, due to undisclosed modifications?  No thanks.  You might enjoy that game; I could not recommend it.

"have you ever had insurance cancelled or refused?"  An insurance record lasts forever.

YMMV.

Exactly. I'll be up front about it. I'll check with my existing company first. I'm in a safe spot in that I haven't done anything yet. 

• Like 1

I may have understood this thread as being related to mechanical insurance. If this is about general vehicle insurance then ignore all of my posts.

4 hours ago, jamesmcd said:

Exactly. I'll be up front about it. I'll check with my existing company first. I'm in a safe spot in that I haven't done anything yet. 

Worst case, you may need to take your car insurance to a different company.

Definitely DO NOT hide the modifications. Declare them, make sure they are clear on what the mods are, and make sure its all noted down correctly. As mentioned, having something in writing/email form from them stating the modifications are covered is a bloody good thing to have too, as when push comes to shove, insurance companies can be bastards that try to weasel out of anything.

Have spoken to the insurer and removing the cats and a basic ECU stage 1+ tune is fine but they will need specific information (performance increase details). They seem good to deal with. This is for both standard insurance and mechanical. 

• Like 1

Technically speaking if you increase output by 20% from the tune the car will need to be Lvvt certified. 

Some insurers are clued up on the rules some are not of course. Personally I wouldn’t give any insurance company any sort of excuse for declining a claim.

Should be under 20%. If everything is ticked off with them first then there's no excuse to deny cover. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 11:18 PM, GorGasm said:

I may have understood this thread as being related to mechanical insurance. If this is about general vehicle insurance then ignore all of my posts.

It is worth noting, that MBI's are underwritten by Insurance Companies.   For example, Autosure MBI used to be underwritten by VERO, though is now underwritten by DPL Insurance.

Essentially, it's all one big melting pot of insurance, from Motor Vehicle cover, to MBI, to Home & Contents, to Public Liability etc etc.  View them as departments covering different things within a given company, if you like.  Insurers all, and before they go on a date with you, they want to know that you've been good to your previous suitor.  and the one before.  and the one before... ?

• Like 1