Sign in to follow this  
Ace Of Spades

e87 04 120i Blue/White Smoke

Hey Team

Our e87 04 120i has just majorly started smoking (blue/kinda white) on start up and while driving.

Engine check light comes on and starts flashing, once the car is in park and idling the check light goes away. But if we leave it for a day of two it stops doing either..

No fault codes are staying up and every time we have taken it in it has stopped and ran fine.

Its not using any water/no bubbles in radiator. Oil doesn't look milky from first inspection. 

Any Ideas?  Was leaning towards valve steams but also possible piston ring failure?

No major knocking sounds but is down on power even when its not smoking. It did start 'pinging' today how ever on start up...

Am not driving the car atm until we have an idea of what is wrong..

Cheers

Ace

Valve stems are pretty common on these, easy way to test them is let the vehicle idle for about 5mins until it gets warm and then give it some jandle. Should blow massive blooms of smoke. 

Odd its not bringing up any faults with the check engine light, should bring something up at least historical

Who has been scanning it? If it's a proper BMW scanner it should pull old/shadow codes for when the CEL was lit. 

Those engines are notorious for oil consumption and smoking, so keep that in mind, but I'd also be looking at the crank case ventilation system if it hasn't been done. 

First step, get it scanned properly. 

• Like 1

Cheers for the Info lads! It is not a pro bmw one just a cheap one which would make sense.

I'll book it in for a scan on Monday ?