Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

My wee wunabout...

So after selling the e91 and failing dismally at owning something sensible - common sense prevailed and we flicked the Mazda 6 getting something smaller/newer for Mrs SiW something that would also serve as our commuter car; and leave me a few grand to get something a bit more "me" that I can have a few fun and games with.

Come on down a wee NZ new e46 compact that will give me the chance to do a little tinkering (but not a lot), whilst not being completely boring to drive over the hill to Martinborough every month or so.

It isn't a minter - but is something I'm confident having a go with doing a few things to (namely some interior trim and stereo updates). I'll get some nicer wheels for it at some stage. But that aside - I'll be refreshing the cooling system and doing something about the (slightly) tired steering. I'll also be getting a dent dude (or dudette) to wave their wand over the roof where someone has been practising their tap dancing. 

It drives well (for a 200km car), and goes around corners pretty well - but it can of course be better ? 

Compo_front_right.jpg

Compo_rear_right.jpg

Compo_interior.jpg

Compo_rear_interior.jpg

• Like 6

nice! its a facelift and well spec'd too it seems with sports seats and multifunction steering wheel!

hows the condition of the engine? get a compression test done before you sink any money into the little 4pot just incase of HG failure

3 hours ago, qube said:

nice! its a facelift and well spec'd too it seems with sports seats and multifunction steering wheel!

hows the condition of the engine? get a compression test done before you sink any money into the little 4pot just incase of HG failure

It came with an extra couple of pots Kyu... and no - but I know the garage that the previous owner (for several years) had it serviced before trading it, so did some digging and it all came up ?

Edited by SmithyInWelly
FFFFFFFFor
  • Like 1

Wait, is it actually a 325ti as per the badging, or is someone having a laugh?

E: carjam says its a legit 325ti. Good score!

Edited by KwS
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, qube said:

Wow 325ti!! In facelift too. Great find!

Yeah it was - it's no garage queen but seems mechanically sound... a good little second car that I'll be happy to have a little play with. Currently reading old threads re audio upgrades!

The 325ti is probably one of the best you can get, amazing power to weight ratio, easy to drive and to work on (e46) and a good 6 cylinder engine. 

Yours looks like a fully spec'd one now that Im looking at it on my computer screen with PCD and everything. even though its not Msport, actually looks absolutely fine and very tidy in silver.

Hope you got it for a good price!

re: audio - if you want to DIY, you can easily do a tablet retrofit, otherwise plenty of chinese android replacement headunits from aliexpress etc.

Yeah - the price was pretty good; got it from a dealer I know who's been sitting on it for far too long... mainly as it was overpriced (it owed them too much too; a former employee gave far too much for it as a trade) so I gave them an easy chance to get rid of it and they can put something profitable onto the same space!

I'm not entirely sure they realised what they had - and as soon as I drove it; well, you know how it happens :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

well i was close

No, you were bang on - though probably not what you had in mind (and I did look at a 330i but it was ruuuuuuffff).

Went in to Winger today and ordered a "proper" euro plate for it as that front bumper gap makes me cringe every time I see it (and no Kyu, I won't be swapping in a Msport front bumper/headlight assembly - haha).

Have also got some cupholders on the way... and thinking about audio options. 2003 doesn't seem that long ago!

great score, a 325Ti.  nice one!

Looking forward to reading of your audio exploits.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:08 PM, SmithyInWelly said:

Yeah - the price was pretty good; got it from a dealer I know who's been sitting on it for far too long... mainly as it was overpriced (it owed them too much too; a former employee gave far too much for it as a trade) so I gave them an easy chance to get rid of it and they can put something profitable onto the same space!

I'm not entirely sure they realised what they had - and as soon as I drove it; well, you know how it happens :)

This was on trademe for quite a while if I recall? I was watching it for a bit and contemplating an offer 

15 hours ago, Blackie said:

This was on trademe for quite a while if I recall? I was watching it for a bit and contemplating an offer 

Yeah, they had it for months - and it owed them (far) too much which was reflected in their asking price. The presentation left a bit to be desired which worked in my favour too... the main thing was it drove well and has been looked after so ticked the boxes for me.

I just wish it had a third pedal. If you do decide you want one, let me know (as I'm contemplating something more useful for a 2nd car that gets little use).