Sign in to follow this  
KelvinD

Broken trans oil cooler

As the title states i broke my trans oil cooler when installing back to the car, dumb mistake on my part. Anyway i was wondering if anyone has or knows of a 540i Auto with the M62TU engine they are parting out. Im after the plastic thermostat piece that sits on the cooler - not the actual cooler. Part number 17211437772 , any leads would be appreciated. Otherwise ill be biting the bullet and buying one from fcp euro, just shipping is near the cost of the actual part. Thanks

PM me if you go for FCP euro, I will order some small stuff and split shipping with you.

Did you have clay like gunk in yours? I found it was the cause of my trans cooling issue so cleaned the crap out and replaced this part, voila no more harsh downshift in traffic.

I havent taken the cooler part off as its still connected to the trans lines, the overpriced plastic piece on top on mine was clean as a whistle but so was everything else coolant related, i just put too much pressure on the fitting trying to route it behind the crank hub and it broke off. I do get it lurch forward sometimes coming to a stop but im yet to investigate that, wish it was as simple as a bit of crud in the cooler. I will get in touch if i go with fcp, im trying to find one in nz first for a decent price if there is such a thing :)

When you do get that off make sure to shine a light inside the cooler, all 3 540I m62TU's ive worked on had some level of crud buildup in there.

Also make sure to get the O rings for the thermostat, from memory my new thermostat didnt come with them - i ordered them seperate.

Edited by andrewm

20 minutes ago, andrewm said:

When you do get that off make sure to shine a light inside the cooler, all 3 540I m62TU's ive worked on had some level of crud buildup in there.

Also make sure to get the O rings for the thermostat, from memory my new thermostat didnt come with them - i ordered them seperate.

I'll have to take a look next time im under the car, it's easy enough to see inside without removing but never even gave it a thought, thanks for the tip on the o rings, if there is crap in there what did you do to clean it out?

I did mine at about 9pm under jack stands with a phone torch so cant remember if it was easy to see, remember that the hose didn't initially flow well through.

I set the hose to jet and blasted it as best I could from both sides for probably 5 minutes on an off each side, that got most of it out.

I did fill it with a citrus based all purpose cleaner and left for 10 mins before I blasted it again but not sure that did anything extra.

Edited by andrewm
  • Thanks 1

Sounds easy enough, well compared to the timing chain and guide job i just done anyway, it makes sense for the crud to settle there the more i think about it, after all its the lowest point in the cooling system.

Ok so i found a used one on facebook, shipped to me overnight so no mucking around, my actual oil cooler only had a few bits of debris in the radiator side that i could see like silicone and what looked like leaf stems? Picked them out and washed it. When i went to istall the replacement thermostat to the top it would not fit so im thinking wtf! The holes where too far apart to fit on the cooler. So i played with it a bit and i could compress it together as its 2 pieces but just not enough so i thought what the hell ill take it apart, only then did i see what you mentioned before about the clay like substace that builds up in there, this thing was blocked and so badly it was preventing the pieces mating together, i checked my old one and it was clean as a whistle. So im glad it didnt fit at first or i never would have looked, I cleaned it all out, installed it and it now works great, and learned my lesson not to put a long bolt through the front mount that will crack the housing. All up and running now, on to the next project.

• Like 1