Jun

E60 M5 on its first 2 week and 2,500+ kms with us

12 hours ago, Jun said:

Ionic Current Control unit.

Hmmm might have to investigate this - damn annoying misfires! Lol

like your work @Jun - are you and your technician avail for v10 coils and plugs replacement job?🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, treone said:

Hmmm might have to investigate this - damn annoying misfires! Lol

like your work @Jun - are you and your technician avail for v10 coils and plugs replacement job?🤣🤣

If you have a persistent misfire that appears after car is warm (after 5 mins). This is an easier fix than coils and spark plugs but more expensive. Just remove top air box for room but if you have better tools you can just remove it directly. It’s just 4 bolts per unit per side. Easy to diagnose, swap units, run car for 5 minutes if misfire cylinders just swaps it’s likely the ionic current control unit. Just be careful with the wire harness and plug.

Coils and plugs near the firewalls from what I know is tricky, I got Jon to replace all 10 when 1 of them misfired. Get a real mechanic like Jon; I am an armchair mechanic, with a sprained finger and a daughter that cares about not straining my finger further 😇

Edited by Jun
  • Like 1

The M5 ownership has never a dull moment.  Last week I have another misfire, this time it’s the opposite symptoms.  Misfire on cold start, no misfire when the engine is proper temp.  Sure enough the other ionic current control unit was the issue.  I didn’t bother to swap the units anymore just bought the part and replaced it.  This is about $500 USD / $750 NZD each, well at least the labor was free.  This is easy to replace yourself if you are careful.  2 test drives today, no more misfires.  Ok I hope the rest of 2024 will be boring.

IMG_6472_Original.jpeg

IMG_6473_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

Nothing really wrong with the car, but I already booked at Powerhaus because of the misfire. I was able to fix the misfire myself, since it takes a long time to queue in Powerhaus I decided to keep the booking. I still had some stash of parts that are just gathering dust for years. Finally replaced all 10 fuel injectors, thermostat and got fresh brake fluid. If anyone needs working injectors or thermostat (69k km mileage only) I can send them to you. DM me, I might keep 2 injectors just for quick diagnostics in the future. A few more parts still waiting to be used: upgraded throttle actuator gears and mosfet, fuel pump/filter… 

Got new keys cut by @promo yay! Finally no more crappy weak remote range because of old sealed batteries.

IMG_6555_Original.jpeg

Edited by Jun
  • Like 2