Jun

E60 M5 on its first 2 week and 2,500+ kms with us

12 hours ago, Jun said:

This post is probably that I can relate to me, where I am in the start of his initial purchase https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/511233-my-07-e60-m5-bearing-story-1st-year-ownership.html

Thanks for this, a really cool story! 

7 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Today mine was running for something like 5 minutes after shut down.  Could be just an anomaly after having a bunch of work done, but will certainly keep an ear on it.

Will also report back on time to operating temp.

Mine often runs for quite a while after a long run in warm weather or if I have driven in manual mode (it tends to rev a lot higher in manual mode 😀) my oil temp also nudges 100 quite regularly but doesn't go above that. Castrol 10w60 always in mine.

• Like 1

Hey Jun, what sort of money does 300ml of Liqui Moly Ceratec go for down here?  

(Edit: 300ml bottles)

Edited by Olaf

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hey Jun, what sort of money does 300ml of Liqui Moly Ceratec go for down here?  

(Edit: 300ml bottles)

I think I asked Powerhaus before, it was $70 a bottle.  I decided to ship 2 bottles for me, cost me about $80-90 from what I recall.  (My memory is rusty, so I maybe wrong) However exchange rates vary.  PM me if you would like to get one.  I would probably buy one sometime in the year, so maybe we can save on shipping cost.

5 hours ago, aja540i said:

Mine often runs for quite a while after a long run in warm weather or if I have driven in manual mode (it tends to rev a lot higher in manual mode 😀) my oil temp also nudges 100 quite regularly but doesn't go above that. Castrol 10w60 always in mine.

Yeah mine would always be visibly below 100 unless it was getting hammered, it now seems to snuggle up close to 100.  I also hardly ever had the after run fan.  On the run this morning it took about 9 mins to get to temp.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Olaf said:

I read one site that ascribed it to too fine a tolerance from crank to bearing.  They advocated the BE bearings also.

I think it is a case of death by a thousand cuts, the surface area of the bearings is quite small, presumably for packaging reasons when they designed the motor, there is a very small tolerance between the bearings and crank, the motor happily revs to over 8k rpm, the condition based servicing has the oil changes out to 20000km intervals, and it is a naturally aspirated 500 hp motor built to a price point set by company accountants.

Also, because it has 10 cylinders and a seven speed gearbox in a North - South orientation and the letter S and numbers 8 and 5 in its name it has terrible feng shui. I believe it can be improved with mirrors... 😉

Edited by aja540i
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

^^^ My Cappuccino would go over 9K, similar 100 bhp PER LITRE, but turbocharged...  and didn't have big end issues...

...maybe the M5 should have been a 3 cylinder 🤣 10 was just too many...

Maybe I'm not overthinking this enough, and you need MORE cylinders!  4,999cc V10 (M5) divided by 657cc I3 (Cappuccino) is about 7.6, rounded up means 8 cappuccino engines for the same power: The M5 needs to be a 24 cylinder!