Sign in to follow this  
bonido

335i Touring Msport

Looking for a 2010-2011 335i Touring Msport with the N55 engine, are there any out there

quite rare to find a late model one of these and when you do find one expect to pay top dollar.

is there any reason you want this specific model over the normal more common pfl n54 version? 

or otherwise any reason not to go for a F30/F31 335i touring instead for a bit more money?

1 hour ago, qube said:

quite rare to find a late model one of these and when you do find one expect to pay top dollar.

is there any reason you want this specific model over the normal more common pfl n54 version? 

or otherwise any reason not to go for a F30/F31 335i touring instead for a bit more money?

The F31 335i is extremely uncommon here - I think I've only seen 3 for sale in the last two years. 2x luxury line jap imports and 1x m-sport nz new. The n55 is probably more reliable than the n54 although the 8-speed ZF on the F-series is a massive upgrade on the old 6-speed autobox.

This appears to be the only one on TM at the moment

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1862146263.htm?rsqid=d09b331609444764805821f97ea6203c

that is true, Ive seen one for sale, was a very very tidy looking black msport nz new one for sale in akl for 30k asking, sold within a couple of days for 27-28k i think. 

I am biased anyway, I love my N55, also love the 8 speed ZF, have driven both N54 and 6 speed auto on the E90/E91/E92 chassis too as well as the E82 135i but the F chassis is far far superior.

If you dont NEED a stationwagon, a car like mine, the M135i is getting crazy cheap and you can get a good one for 25-30k easily now whereas a F31 is harder to find. 

The E91 facelift however is probably going to cost 20-25k at least so the M135i is worth a consideration imo.

F series is more than I want to spend, and seems like e90 series has more of a driver feel to it. Still love the e39 and did look at an e46, nice white one on TM at the moment. There is a 335d touring on TM at the moment, are these reliable or a bombshell?

2 hours ago, bonido said:

F series is more than I want to spend, and seems like e90 series has more of a driver feel to it. Still love the e39 and did look at an e46, nice white one on TM at the moment. There is a 335d touring on TM at the moment, are these reliable or a bombshell?

Having owned both E91 + F31, the older car has a much worse ride quality (despite being on 17's and the new one on 19's), steering perhaps has a bit more feel on the e91 but it's still a wagon rather than a sports car. If you don't mind the idea of diesel, I'd recommend a test drive of the 335d, fantastic combo of performance, usability and economy. Almost certainly more reliable than N54 engined 335i from Japan.

10 minutes ago, balancerider said:

If you don't mind the idea of diesel, I'd recommend a test drive of the 335d

+1 for the diesel. 

Moved from N55 to N57D and have never had any regrets. The pull is just amazing, 5.5L/100km on an open road is rather awesome too :) 

like I said, if you dont want to spend too much then there are plenty of 335i wagons (N54) for cheap.

If you want to spend a bit more then F chassis is the way to go.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1870699013 this one?

its a lot of money for an E chassis car.. a normal 335i wagon is only like 15k now, which is why I suggested F chassis for 25k which isnt much more in $ but way more car. 

I personally would stay away from diesel bmw's in general :ph34r: (fire)

12 minutes ago, qube said:

I personally would stay away from diesel bmw's in general :ph34r: (fire)

I get that diesel is not for everyone (and they don't sound good) but the BMW diesels are the best on the market.

Its hard to match the down low punch of a good diesel too.

• Like 1

i may need to go test drive some diesels then.. tbh not sure what im missing but happy to be proven wrong. 

I reckon the new G chassis 3 series is awesome, but it will probably be a good 4 years or so until they become more affordable..

39 minutes ago, qube said:

i may need to go test drive some diesels then.. tbh not sure what im missing but happy to be proven wrong. 

Haha I was exactly the same. Just make sure I take something decent.

My first test-drive of a diesel was in a 3.0BiTDI A6, got hooked and  started looking at BMW diesels. Don't think I am going back to petrol any time soon.

But yeah, each to their own.

when i test drove my little120d i wanted it as soon as i let the clutch out!If you havent driven a modern BMW disel try one.pref a 30d or more,or if a 20d a manual.

Thanks, colour is good, still quiet keen on the 335d for sale on TM so will have to choose between both without driving as down in ChCh. Anyone know how easy to get Nav and radio changed over to NZ spec  also price?

1 hour ago, bonido said:

Thanks, colour is good, still quiet keen on the 335d for sale on TM so will have to choose between both without driving as down in ChCh. Anyone know how easy to get Nav and radio changed over to NZ spec  also price?

if the 335d is in budget would definitely go for that instead. NZ new and more likely to have comprehensive service history. better economy and equivalent performance