Sign in to follow this  
AV88

Newbie, Looking for advise F20 vs E87

Hi all,

I am new here and I am looking to buy a 116i soon. I used to have 2010 X3 2.0d auto msport pack years back, had to change transfer case for 4k on it at 100000km, had to order it from germany. But not a tech person in cars, know a little bit

Can someone give me advice on which one would be better in terms of possible breakdowns and things to look out? Advantages/disadvantage under the hood ( excluding the new shape, lux things smoother ride of 8-speed gearbox of newer model). Which one will give me more troubles?

I am considering :

a 2009 22000km E87 about 10k

a 2007 41000km E87 about 7,5/8k

and 

2011 /2012 with 27000km/30000km, i am assuming those are F20 as they have the newer shape, about 16,5k

The price difference seems lucrative to buy an older one, but does the older one give more issues?

Thank you for any help,

I have read some of the blogs on 116i topic here, and took out that oil service is about $240to400 every 10000km, what about the bigger services what is the cost on those.

I am located in Christchurch any reference to good service place.

Kind Regards

Anastasiya

Welcome to the forum.

Long story short, I would avoid the 116i E87 model completely.

2 hours ago, AV88 said:

2011 /2012 with 27000km/30000km, i am assuming those are F20 as they have the newer shape, about 16,5k

2009 - $10k??? expensive as hell. why? because stupid low kms that are just unrealistic. car probably sat around doing nothing. not good.

2007 - bit better at 7.5k but still, unrealistic kms for a 10+ year old car.

BUT the big problem with the E87 model is the 1.6L 4 cylinder engine is just known to be unrealiable. will cost huge money to fix eventually so I would avoid.

I personally have a 2012 116i F20, bought it for $12k with 100,000kms on it but hasnt given me any issues at all and we have done 10k kms on it so far.

Oil service costs about $150, I do it every 8000kms. 

These models are not without it's problem also but I think they are generally much better and you get a much nicer/newer car with a lot of good features.

Obviously it costs more but I think its worth it.

Look for a F20 116i for around 14-16k (lower mileage examples say around 50-70,000 kms) and look for one that has the options you want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AV88 said:

Hi all,

I am new here and I am looking to buy a 116i soon. I used to have 2010 X3 2.0d auto msport pack years back, had to change transfer case for 4k on it at 100000km, had to order it from germany. But not a tech person in cars, know a little bit

Can someone give me advice on which one would be better in terms of possible breakdowns and things to look out? Advantages/disadvantage under the hood ( excluding the new shape, lux things smoother ride of 8-speed gearbox of newer model). Which one will give me more troubles?

I am considering :

and 

The price difference seems lucrative to buy an older one, but does the older one give more issues?

Thank you for any help,

I have read some of the blogs on 116i topic here, and took out that oil service is about $240to400 every 10000km, what about the bigger services what is the cost on those.

I am located in Christchurch any reference to good service place.

Kind Regards

Anastasiya

I would avoid the e87's. They're generally quite problematic from my experience (as a mechanic, working on predominantly BMW's) The f20 is a much better option and is worth spending the extra money on. As for servicing, it varies from shop to shop but 

• Thanks 1

f20 is a bigger car. e 87 is quite short interior.Cant be compared in size to a normal front wheel drive hatchback of similar exterior diemension

• Like 1

I’m going through the same thought process right now. Interested to see how this thread plays out. 

Always go for the newer car.  Get the F20.

ill say it again but the F20 is a bloody good platform in my opinion. it drives and feels like the old e46 in terms of size because the new 3 series is just too big.

Also, comfort access is awesome and fuel economy on the 116 is amazing at 7.5L/100km for me at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for advises and recommendations.

Maybe in another year i will get a beemer (.

Got a jap hybrid for meantime