Sign in to follow this  
modz

"Reclinable" seats in a coupe

WoF requires the passenger seat (at minimum) to be reclineable. However what does Reclineable actually mean?

VTNZ were vague at best.

Is it

1) Has flip forward ability via lever OR

2) Has ability to recline via dial mechanism?

I get that fixed back's are excluded, I'm not interested in them.  But late model Recaro's e.g. Evo 5 seats don't have the flip forward/recline mechanism, only the winder

Thoughts appreciated

Is your first post regarding a 2 door, or 4 door car?

Subject says "coupe" but you have to ignore BMW's misappropriation of the word for a 4 door sedan "grand coupe" (idiots). I'm sure the OP means a 2 door because the question doesn't apply to a four door.

When I asked at VTNZ about this @modz when I was considering swapping out my coupe seats for Recaros I was given the same information as you and I pointed out that "recline" means backwards and how does that work in a coupe? They told me the seats have to have a lever accessible from both the front side window(s) and the rear seats that folds at least the front passenger seat forward for emergency access and egress. That made sense to me so I didn't pursue it further and got Evo IV seats (with the leavers).

If you don't have levers you apparently need to remove the rear seats and seatbelts and re-register the car as a 2 seater.

@M3AN thanks very much yep I did mean 2 door....

I’ll run Evo 4 seats then, save the hassle. Pity because most of them are stuffed and the Evo 5 onward seats are generally tidy.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, modz said:

@M3AN thanks very much yep I did mean 2 door....

I’ll run Evo 4 seats then, save the hassle. Pity because most of them are stuffed and the Evo 5 onward seats are generally tidy.

Cheers!

I have some Evo IV seats, e4/36 bases to suit and sliders for sale but the seats aren't complete as they have no bottom cushions or bolsters (I might be able to get them but that's a low probability). If this even remotely interests you feel free to send me a PM. I'm reasonably close in Ellerslie.

Edited by M3AN