Sign in to follow this  
Karter16

2005 E46 M3 CS

173km, $35k buy now.

Subframe not inspected or addressed and VANOS not done. Rod bearings are surely well on their way out at that mileage as well.

The 'CS' badge is surely a bit of a drawcard, although not sure if that's offset by the fact it's an import??? If it's a UK import, which I think it must be if it's a CS?, then there's underbody rust, etc. to possibly worry about.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1903106984.htm?rsqid=0132df325a1c421cb268290aebf785da

I think you are being a bit picky. It's an uprated M3 for the same sort of price as other M3s. Regardless if it is an import or not, I think it's a good price

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 4

Looks like a lovely car, and certainly something a bit different. I dont think it'll have too much trouble selling for around the asking price.

inb4 Q&A on tardme turns into a "SMG IS NOT MANUEL!!!111" argument. ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Looks like a lovely car, and certainly something a bit different. I dont think it'll have too much trouble selling for around the asking price.

inb4 Q&A on tardme turns into a "SMG IS NOT MANUEL!!!111" argument. ?

I always love the questions that try to run down the car “as you know these are expensive repairs and big problems.” 

If you’re serious go and look at it and ask for the service history... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

I always love the questions that try to run down the car “as you know these are expensive repairs and big problems.” 

If you’re serious go and look at it and ask for the service history... 

Yup, always people trying to put others off. A lot of the time they have no intention of buying.  It’s the equivalent to the antics that guys at auction houses used to pull trying to make a car seem like it needs work when in reality it’s just a lead off the spark plug.

Starting to show my age ?

• Like 2

I'd request some engine oil to do a test with at least, I think any high revving M car should have the oil checked for wear metal counts if you want to avoid surprises :p 

On 1/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Gaz said:

I think you are being a bit picky. It's an uprated M3 for the same sort of price as other M3s. Regardless if it is an import or not, I think it's a good price

Yeah quite possibly I am - that's why I posted to see what everyone else thought. Don't see a CS come up very often in NZ so was genuinely interested to get peoples' thoughts and impressions ? Didn't mean to come across as negative or picky - although re-reading my post I can see why it came across that way. There's a wide range of asking prices for E46 M3's of various conditions on the market, this one is a bit special being the CS so I was interested to see how people interpreted that against the asking price and the condition/mileage of the car. Cheers for your input ?

• Like 1

I think you're being sensibly cautious rather than picky @Karter16, these are all important pre-purchase considerations.

I don't see why people are so sensitive to such questions which you're entitled to ask and would be foolish not to. The Q&A section is for precisely this purpose so shouldn't get people's backs up. No need to arrange to see the car or waste the seller's time if it fails your first hurdle.

On the other hand if the answer is "yep, all done and I have $7k worth of receipts to prove it" then that helps everybody.

Although I do agree that trolling auctions for the sake of being disruptive isn't on.

• Like 2

Good points made above.

I’m on the fence regarding the Q & A section. I understand it’s purpose, but it’s not always used effectively. 

I always make the opportunity to contact the seller directly. If they can’t make their phone number available, I will email them. I don’t feel it’s wasting time. I generally get a good feel from the seller (or if I’m selling, from the buyer) through this approach as to how genuine they are.

• Like 1

The reason people here are sensitive to asking questions on tardme, is that no one asking them is actually interested in buying the car, they just want to sabotage the sale. 

Someone genuinely interested will directly contact the seller, as mentioned above. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd ask the question publically before I contacted the seller directly. If they have nothing to hide they won't mind providing all the information they can. How they answer the question, evasive or forthcoming, will influence how I perceive them as a seller. It's also a good practice to have a written record of questions and answers.

I think your assumption that because somebody asks a question on an auction they're not a genuine buyer is wide of the mark.

Too many sellers (of all sorts of stuff) think they're doing buyers a favour by listing something and that's arse about face, it's the sellers obligation to do the actual selling. Like answering a WTB post with "yes, have some" and not including a price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'd ask the question publically before I contacted the seller directly. If they have nothing to hide they won't mind providing all the information they can. How they answer the question, evasive or forthcoming, will influence how I perceive them as a seller. It's also a good practice to have a written record of questions and answers.

I think your assumption that because somebody asks a question on an auction they're not a genuine buyer is wide of the mark.

Too many sellers (of all sorts of stuff) think they're doing buyers a favour by listing something and that's arse about face, it's the sellers obligation to do the actual selling. Like answering a WTB post with "yes, have some" and not including a price.

Kind of agree with you there..

But not everyone is a Savvy online marketer. Some people prefer the phone call, and some people prefer good old fashioned face to face. They oblige to using Trademe because you can’t argue with the sheer numbers viewing that website.

There are people out there genuinely trying to sabotage people’s sales, Facebook is s classic example.

It’s like it’s a sport now to hunt for “Ya dreamin mate” things for sale or “Hmm that’s too cheap, must be a statutory write off.”

I've sold a lot of cars on tardme, and i'm almost certain not a single person that asked questions on the listing was actually the buyer. Serious buyers always contact me via text or email. I miss the days where you couldn't post questions on a classified, and you would have to get off your ass and contact the seller to ask questions. Now its too easy for time wasters.

I totally agree with the reply to WTB with "got one", that sh*t grinds my gears and I see it a lot even on here, and won't bother contacting them even if they have the part....

Yes, one of the issues with the proliferation of internet and smartphones, is that we can see the true nature and intelligence of a lot of people.

And now, with the apes able to communicate, it’s only a matter of time before they overrun us all with their noise... Facebook comments on media here especially. 

i sold my pajero recently on tm the bullshitters were all texters, fair questions were asked on the auction i answered all the best i could ,one of the questioners hit the buy now button.It was a good price at 16.5 k .One guy immediately texted i will give you  12k, i said the dealer 0ffered me 13k as a trade his response was 12k cash....really?.I think "normal" things priced welll will attarct real buyers on TM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

I've sold a lot of cars on tardme, and i'm almost certain not a single person that asked questions on the listing was actually the buyer. Serious buyers always contact me via text or email. I miss the days where you couldn't post questions on a classified, and you would have to get off your ass and contact the seller to ask questions. Now its too easy for time wasters.

I totally agree with the reply to WTB with "got one", that sh*t grinds my gears and I see it a lot even on here, and won't bother contacting them even if they have the part....

Agreed. I’ve nothing to hide when selling and always appreciate history and disclosure when purchasing but there’s always a whiff of knock em down on the question and answer page.

“Have you had the flux capacitor serviced?”

• Haha 1

Maybe call me cynical, or even drunk (drunk is more likely) but I feel too many people buy into the internet hype. Not all M3s have vanos, smg, bearing issues and people get too excited to shoot them down for not having these issues address. There are thousands of these engines about and and I can guarantee Alot of them are ok and had no issues whatsoever, there a plenty on eBay with 160k+ miles still demanding good money 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, qube said:

12k cash? how about 13k eftpos

Yeah.. what else is it going to be? Jellybeans?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Yeah.. what else is it going to be? Jellybeans?

48 monthly payments and a pitty pup?

4 hours ago, KwS said:

48 monthly payments and a pitty pup?

Every time.  I am dreading selling the Mrs's 200SX.

Please remember to post the TardMe link in here Driftit, so we can watch the carnage unfold!

I'd rather publicly answer questions, saves me repeating myself. I've also asked plenty and brought plenty.

• Like 1

I sold a 1982 ford cortina a few years back.

I had about 170 watchers, and was inundated with sh*t. People trying to set up payment plans, swap for loads of household crap, trade for weed etc

One particular gem

‘G il giv u 3 hundy up frunt an 50 a week all i gt spare on da bene haha da mrs luvs yellow’ 

• Sad 1