Sign in to follow this  
KwS

Tire size conundrum

Hi. 

Need some tires for my E36, running a square set of 7.5" Style 24. Have been quoted two options which sound good but I can't choose between them. 

First is the correct oem size, 235/40R17, and is a Falken Fk452. Reviews are mixed, with the general consensus on forums that they are good tires wet or dry, but those tire review sites seem to indicate wear and wet performance is an issue. 

The second option is 225/45R17. This is a very common size, but both narrower and taller than the OEM size. This will cause the speedo to be out by about 2kph at 100kph. The tire in this size is a Goodyear eagle F1 directional 5. My understanding is that the eagle is a much better tire, but not in OEM size. These are $30 dearer than the Falkens for all 4, so much of a muchness.  

Anyone got any solid opinions on this?

Edited by KwS

There is a lot of problems with this conundrum.

I was about to recommend going for 235 40 17 all round but tyre options are very limiting. FK452 is average at best and not cheap either.

then I noticed that 235 40 17 requires 8.0 – 9.5" wheel according to the LVVT guide? what the hell?

225 45 17 front and 245 40 17 rears would have been nice if you had the staggered wheels..

Yeah that is the idea (and OEM ) staggered setup but hard to get 8.5" style 24 here. 

235/40 is the stock size for 7.5" but a pain to get, hence my issue. 

I still think you should have waited for a staggered set or go for my 18" bbs!

used to have a set of staggered 24's on my old 328i boston green :(

have you tried bridgetstone for the potenza series in the 235 40 17 size?

there is bugger all on hyper.co.nz unfortunately for this size

If I'm going falken it's only because I can get them in the correct size, I would bother with them smaller.

You might have to go all 3pedals and head down the tyrerack route, unless you are willing to try Federal or Nankang's etc "good" tires just for a laugh

Have had the Falkens, pretty "meh" to be honest

I don't tend to drive cars too hard but do enjoy the odd spirited drive. Having an ok treadwear rating would be nice too, so that discounted the NS2R that I was looking at lol

I'm loath to chime in but have you considered 235/45/17? Yes, it's taller but the range of options is vastly superior to a 40 profile tyre.

You may prefer a higher profile over a smaller contact patch.

It's also worth considering that you might need spacers at the rear with a 7.5/225 combo to make it look "correct".

Just as a follow up, i bit the bullet and chose to go for a set of Pirelli Dragon Sport in 225/45R17 and will have them fitted on Wednesday. Hyper had them a lot cheaper than the Eagles, and the reviews for the Pirellis are really good.

Wow, how cheap is that!?  Even 245/40/18 (97Y) for my 545i is just $238.99 plus fitting, per corner.

I have 225/45/17 Dragon Sports on my 328, I don't think they're in the same category as a max performance tyre although they're certainly hard wearing (like seriously hard wearing) and cost effective if not a little loud.

I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

Edited by M3AN

A quick update, finally put some hard KM on the Dragon Sports, and I like them. Took the M328i for a hard drive this evening, and no matter how hard i threw it into the corners i couldnt get so much as a chirp from the tires. Lots of grip, and no louder than the Yokos and Maxxis on the daily.

Not sure about wet grip yet though.

I put Dragon Sports on my Wifes Skoda and its hardly a performance car but the grip was pretty good better than the worn RE003's. They also seem to be hard wearing. BTW where is Ron these days kinda boring not being told what to do all the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

how are you finding these tyres? wet performance? road noise?

Road noise is decent. I dont have a lot to compare it to, and the E36 is hardly whisper quiet, but it's not intrusive. 

I haven't driven in anything really wet yet, but damp roads seem to be ok (although I'm not one to push my luck in the wet). 

I still like them and would buy again. 

i need to make a decision on what to do with a new set of tyre purchase for the 116. thinking whether to keep the 17" wheels on it and replace the tyres or use a set of 18" wheels I have :)

option 1 - Dragon Sports 224 45 17 square for $492 @ hyper

option 2 - RE003 225 45 17 square $798.70 @ bridgestone

option 3 - Laufenn LK01 225 40 18 + 255 35 18 for $612 @ hyper