Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

New M140i Owner, Auckland

7 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Read what it says in the what’s included.. can you see sea freight or shipping listed?

And nothings ever free...

Yet marine insurance is... 

Which bit costs the most...? Maybe I’m being cynical, I vaguely recall something about ownership of goods when sea freighting, might be that.

Still a pretty good deal for the Muricans. When BMW USA sell hundreds of thousands of units per year they can afford to support programs like that.

It’s quite funny when you see them in the Welt taking delivery of their new X5’s though...

Said it a few times now... it's not free, it's included in the retail price. You're not expected to pay for shipping twice... that's the only logical (and sensible) conclusion. It's not a reasonable assumption that you'd have to pay additional shipping.

Do you have documentation to the contrary? The absence of an item from a list isn't conclusive at all (especially when the surrounding text implies there no additional cost to you).

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Said it a few times now... it's not free, it's included in the retail price. You're not expected to pay for shipping twice... that's the only logical (and sensible) conclusion. It's not a reasonable assumption that you'd have to pay additional shipping.

Do you have documentation to the contrary? The absence of an item from a list isn't conclusive at all (especially when the surrounding text implies there no additional cost to you).

Say it as many times as you like, doesnt make it true though. Just because you think it should be included doesn’t mean it is. 

There is no itemised Bill for the price of a new car and an line that says “shipping... included”. The contract is to supply a vehicle to the place of your choosing. If you choose Europe then that’s up to you. 

I don’t have documentation that I can publish on here, but I have provided full details of the Welt delivery process to four or five Kiwi customers over the years who have been interested. Unfortunately none of them took up the opportunity.

Also have a think about that American picking up an X5 in Munich example again.

2 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

is euro delivery an option in NZ?

Yes, it is an option for NZ customers.

9 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

...Unfortunately none of them took up the opportunity.

Also have a think about that American picking up an X5 in Munich example again.

If they're getting charged 'retail' minus 'a little bit' + 'shipping' then of course they didn't accept the opportunity, that would be stupid. You'd be better off flying to Europe, visiting the factory on your own dime, renting a BMW and then coming back here and picking yours up locally.

Doesn't matter how many time you say it either, I won't believe BMW are that dumb unless I see it written down.

How much do BMW NZ charge to freight a car back here then?

And according the the American programme the X series is excluded from Euro Delivery, what X5 story are you referring to?

Gosh Dave, stop trying to make an argument where there really isn't one.

Keep in mind that both the American market is HUUUUGE compared to NZ, and that shipping rates to the States would be significantly less than shipping to NZ. You may then understand why shipping may be included for the US, but not for NZ.

9 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Which bit costs the most...? Maybe I’m being cynical, I vaguely recall something about ownership of goods when sea freighting, might be that.

It usually depends on the inco terms or whatever they call it and when you own the goods depending on the contract. 

If you took European delivery and drove the car around for a bit then you’ve taken delivery so I guess this is why they then include some insurance. If I’m taking delivery in NZ it’s not my car until I uplift it from the dealer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KwS said:

Gosh Dave, stop trying to make an argument where there really isn't one.

Having an opinion, even an opposing one, isn't an argument. In the absence of any evidence either way we're entitled to our opinions.

I'm not easily convinced that BMW NZ maintains an economically infeasible programme, nobody should be, it beggars belief.

I'm happy to be convinced though, no arguments there.

It's not a case of winning or losing, but how you have the debate.

BMW NZ does not maintain any delivery program, economically viable or otherwise, it is wholly under the control of BMW AG, and as such it is their terms, conditions and pricing that have to be applied. Which is why I was interested to see how much the US of A off-set the costs.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, M3AN said:

How much do BMW NZ charge to freight a car back here then?

And according the the American programme the X series is excluded from Euro Delivery, what X5 story are you referring to?

Not 100% sure about the freight question, so i'll try to answer in two different instances, for a new car delivered in NZ there is no freight charge, even for cars delivered in Dunedin or Invercargill. For a Welt delivery BMW NZ cannot charge freight - it has to be organised by the owner of the vehicle and also it cannot be shipped on the same RoRo service as all the NZ new vehicles.

Glad to see the yanks have cottoned on to shipping X5s back and forth across the pond, it was a few years ago that I saw them being delivered in the Welt to Billy-Bob and Betty-Sue so they must have worked out what it was costing them.

The previous "Tourist Delivery" scheme that new cars were supplied under, even to NZ, was quite different from what I understand, and went back to the days of requiring overseas funds to buy a new car. There were quite a number of BMWs supplied in this way from what i have been told.

• Like 2

Have decided to replace the factory exhaust system on arrival, with the uprated M Performance Exhaust. Not particularly cheap, but it makes the car sound infinitely better (lets that lovely straight-6 B58 sound out) without making it sound too loud, droney or chavvy.

Also the M140i is famous for the stock exhaust flap making an annoying vibrating/buzzing noise on cold start, which the MPE completely avoids as it doesn't have anything like the same actuator flap.

Pistonheads

BMW M Performance Exhaust (F20 M140i)

• Like 1

good choice. you are welcome to come listen to my MPE on my M135i if you are itching until the car arrives. when is it due again?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, qube said:

good choice. you are welcome to come listen to my MPE on my M135i if you are itching until the car arrives. when is it due again?

I really need to come to an Auckland gtg but i'm too ashamed to bring my crummy Hyundai company car before the Beemer arrives...

... which all going to plan should be late June early July :)

• Like 1

If you're paying retail for the MPE as a dealer (as opposed to factory) option then make sure you keep the stock exhaust. Two (or more) brand new cats and a barely used muffler and tips should be worth 100's.

Heck, the full exhaust may even be a bolt-on upgrade for a lessor 1er.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, M3AN said:

If you're paying retail for the MPE as a dealer (as opposed to factory) option then make sure you keep the stock exhaust. Two (or more) brand new cats and a barely used muffler and tips should be worth 100's.

Heck, the full exhaust may even be a bolt-on upgrade for a lessor 1er.

Yep, there wasn't the option to fit it as factory for some reason, so it's dealer prices including fitting. Plan was to keep the exhaust in case I ever wanted to re-fit it down the track (pre-sale?), but if someone here would benefit from it i'm happy to put it up for sale.

21 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Yep, there wasn't the option to fit it as factory for some reason.

Couple of reasons, some practical and some marketing wise. The main one being the impracticality of putting a "special" order through a mass production car plant where everything is set up and timed to the nearest seconds. Slowing (or even stopping) the line for one station to fit a special part stops the whole plant - so the opportunity cost is massive. This is why a lot of the special stuff (Individual, etc) is done off-line only on the big $$$ items and costs an arm and a leg.

22 hours ago, qube said:

maybe i should put it on the 116i :D

Zoom zoom!

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Couple of reasons, some practical and some marketing wise. The main one being the impracticality of putting a "special" order through a mass production car plant where everything is set up and timed to the nearest seconds. Slowing (or even stopping) the line for one station to fit a special part stops the whole plant - so the opportunity cost is massive. This is why a lot of the special stuff (Individual, etc) is done off-line only on the big $$$ items and costs an arm and a leg.

Yes I figured as much, I've never heard of anyone getting an MPE fitted to a 1-er as factory so I figured it was an efficiency limitation rather than anyone being difficult.

D-Day is June 25th!

Well, a little more than that since it's getting driven straight from the dealer to the detailer to get ceramic coated, so I probably won't actually drive it in earnest until the following weekend...

13 hours ago, 318Touring said:

More pics please!!

Will post some on pickup - the photos in this thread aren't my specific car, just one from Aus of identical spec :)

22 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

19 'sleeps' to go.

Boing Boing Boing.

Are those the Shadow Edition wheels in the photo? I thought they were a different style to that.