Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

New M140i Owner, Auckland

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Are those the Shadow Edition wheels in the photo? I thought they were a different style to that.

They are in Aus or NZ. 719M's in silver/black.

Overseas, in the UK and the EU specifically, they tend to use 436M's in Orbit Grey - per below.

Personally, I much prefer the 719M's.

Image result for 436m orbit grey

Yeah the 436M is the standard wheel, whereas the 719M is the wheel that comes with the Shadow Pack. Thought they looked a bit different to the photo, but my memory was obviously playing tricks on me.

Signed off the paperwork today. Not picking it up til Tuesday (to fit in with salary cycle). But had to sneak a tiny peak. 

You have no idea how much self control it took not to yank the cover off.

No photo description available.

• Like 3

I'd be like "screw the salary cycle, I'll live off the sweet smell of exhaust fumes"! 

But nice one, exciting times... ??

Aaaaaaand... it’s finally here!

Now I have to do without it for another couple days while it gets ceramic treated ?

Interestingly, I was convinced it was coming with run-flats - all the marketing guff mentioned RF’s and the sales guy reckoned they fitted Pirelli P-Zeros. But the actual car arrived with Michelin Pilot Super Sport’s. I’m not complaining. ?‍♂️

CFC8901B-0D19-4073-A020-F3A08986F21B.jpeg

258DFF65-EAD6-428A-B7E2-E8B50F71BF66.jpeg

A9F415C3-B3C0-4345-9AAB-C653BC786CE9.jpeg

0A6EF047-8AAB-4429-B627-7E87FE1EEF82.jpeg

DF801DC2-3015-4CAA-94DC-B4A64723F708.jpeg

5480057D-948C-43DA-9611-5CABD96D864A.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks great man! Those are great tyres too, you definitely scored there. 

It’ll be worth the wait I’m sure!

• Like 1

Very nice, that's a smart looking car. Very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Props dude. ?

+1 on the tyres, score.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Interestingly, I was convinced it was coming with run-flats - all the marketing guff mentioned RF’s and the sales guy reckoned they fitted Pirelli P-Zeros. But the actual car arrived with Michelin Pilot Super Sport’s. I’m not complaining. ?‍♂️

258DFF65-EAD6-428A-B7E2-E8B50F71BF66.jpeg

M140i has always come with "performance" tyres for NZ, all the way back to M135i they have had sports tyres, usually the Michelins. Were you looking at overseas information or NZ stuff?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

M140i has always come with "performance" tyres for NZ, all the way back to M135i they have had sports tyres, usually the Michelins. Were you looking at overseas information or NZ stuff?

I knew that all the overseas reports indicated MPSS's - however, the offer document and even the signed spec list mention runflats. I'll see if I can find it and take a photo. But as I said, not complaining :)

Here you go, straight from email comms about the sale - purple underline mine :

image.thumb.png.76d6e40a8ac11e03a3897ee1751c126d.png

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Thanks 1

that sentence makes it sound like if you didnt have run flat tyres and you have a puncture, then you dont need replacement. 

18 minutes ago, BozzaFC said:

Did you get to drive it there, at least?

Took the day off from work yesterday, picked it up, put 200km on it, dropped it off late afternoon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Took the day off from work yesterday, picked it up, put 200km on it, dropped it off late afternoon.

And are you fizzing and buzzing from those 200kms, after your months of anticipation?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Olaf said:

And are you fizzing and buzzing from those 200kms, after your months of anticipation?

It's firkin awesome. I was a little restrained given I'm a) carefully running in the engine, and b) it's over 100HP more than i've ever owned before, but even early on you can tell it's a beast. Comfy too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

carefully running in the engine,

The great debate... Did they tell you to do this? 

1 hour ago, m325i said:

Cars thrashed from new always drive better ?

2 hours ago, m325i said:

No, I decided to do this.

The 'do it' side has science, empirical evidence, manufacturer recommendationm and simple logic on its side.

The 'don't do it' side has anecdotal 'my friend Gary drove off the lot in a cloud of smoke and his car is fine' tales on its side.

I prefer the science ;)

As an engineering mate said to me regarding the matter - 'Someone saying "I got bit by a poisonous snake and I survived" does not mean getting bitten by a poisonous snake is a good idea' :D

Edited by BlackrazorNZ

there's extremes to both arguments and bit of history to some that probably doesn't apply anymore.

the first gen 1.5 laser/mazda had many stories of glazed bores due to people nursing them too much but that was possibly more a new engineering tolerances type bug,

workshop would take them out and thrash the living daylights out of them to fix it.

not saying that applies to newer models where all the tolerances have been changed significantly over early 70s/80s engines . oils have changed,onboard computers are self adjusting in realtime now

alot of very fancy car makers bench test their engines before they're even installed into the chassis and they're hitting big revs on the testbeds

• Like 1

Any modern car should have the "first owner" parameters coded in and digital dashes should be displaying all the required info (e.g. redline is adjusted to 4k for the first 500km's etc).

To be honest, if I had a modern car I'd expect it to do pretty-much everything for me and if it didn't tell me to "drive it like this" then I wouldn't. But then again, if I got a brand spakner new car, I'd probably be leasing it which means thrashing it from the minute I got it. The headache beyond the factory warranty on a modern car is something I wouldn't even contemplate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kwhelan said:

The first gen 1.5 laser/mazda had many stories of glazed bores due to people nursing them too much but that was possibly more a new engineering tolerances type bug

Most of the guff I read on the matter inferred that nursing it, especially by putting in lows of non-varying RPM, was just as bad as burying the throttle.

As I understand it, the 'ideal' (which is what I'm trying to do) is as much variance in RPM as possible, under differing degrees of engine load, while trying to keep max RPM below about 4000rpm.

Given it sits at 850 rpm doing 100kph on the motorway, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

• Like 1

I've heard the only way to get the protective film off new tyres is 360* skids... ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Most of the guff I read on the matter inferred that nursing it, especially by putting in lows of non-varying RPM, was just as bad as burying the throttle.

As I understand it, the 'ideal' (which is what I'm trying to do) is as much variance in RPM as possible, under differing degrees of engine load, while trying to keep max RPM below about 4000rpm.

Given it sits at 850 rpm doing 100kph on the motorway, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

850 seriously or is that an exaggeration, you'd have to drive home in 4th in your 8 speed to make it work and you'd be buggered in a cvt

TBH i don't think it really matters with modern motors except the obvious really hard caning from cold,

you don't see rentals or lease vehicles that appear to be any worse than private ones despite peoples lack of care so they must be pretty sorted

20 minutes ago, kwhelan said:

850 seriously or is that an exaggeration

Serious. Eco-Pro (felt icky doing it but I pressed the button), cruise control, pretty much spot on 850.

I''ll see if I can get my wife to take an evidentiary photo when she's in the car with me.

• Haha 1