Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

New M140i Owner, Auckland

6 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

As an engineering mate said to me regarding the matter - 'Someone saying "I got bit by a poisonous snake and I survived" does not mean getting bitten by a poisonous snake is a good idea' :D

Your engineering mate was still explaining that while the girl he was explaining it to went off with the artist... to learn about the poisonous snake first hand.  Sometimes art trumps science.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Most of the guff I read on the matter inferred that nursing it, especially by putting in lows of non-varying RPM, was just as bad as burying the throttle.

As I understand it, the 'ideal' (which is what I'm trying to do) is as much variance in RPM as possible, under differing degrees of engine load, while trying to keep max RPM below about 4000rpm.

That's certainly the traditional and proven approach.  first 500 km, this.... then oil change, then 5000rpm with some acceleration to hit that... then at 1500km oil change, then give it the beans.  If I was driving a rebuilt motor, that's what I'd be doing.  But that was then, your technomarvel is a whole new ballgame.

25 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

My farm bike reads less than 12km, delivered today. It does the metric ton alright so I guess I fall into the first camp?

not at 850rpm tho?