Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

Current 1-Series vs 2020 1-Series

Found this image on the M140i Facebook page I'm part of. Interesting comparison of the front dimensions of the current gen. 1-Series vs the upcoming one. 

Can see how the layout changes with them moving to FWD from RWD and switching the engine mounting to transverse.

Looks also like the AWD option will be very similar to the Haldex system Audi/VW uses.

Can't say I'm a huge fan to be honest. The long nose and RWD were to me the hallmarks of the 1-Series, giving it away to make something that looks like a Hyundai i30, I just can't understand the logic.

comp.jpg

• Confused 1

Presumably a profit driven approach. Most people don't know / care about which wheels are driven. They can use the same platform as Mini / X1 and minimise their development costs. Agree it produces a watered down drivers car c.f. RWD straigh 6 hatch, but the Golf R certainly gets decent reviews.

I would guess they can't shoehorn a straight 6 into transverse layout so it'll be an inline 4 with a big turbo.

the height of the doors is crazy high compared to the previous model..  makes the rear look really fat and bulged out too because it curves upwards whereas the previous model is more straight

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Here’s a better comparison using the video BMW released today. 

Are those two photos to the same scale? Looks like the wheel size has gone up about 3 inches between the two... so rolling on 21"s G?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Are those two photos to the same scale? Looks like the wheel size has gone up about 3 inches between the two... so rolling on 21"s G?

I think they've used the wheels from the X2 for the promo shot. I doubt they'll be that big on the factory model. 

Got stuck behind a 2018 320 GT yesterday, after taking Rays S65 130 around the block.

BMW have lost their way. 

• Like 1

They haven't "lost their way" as such, they just know the target market and where the money is.  As mentioned above, most people couldn't care less if it drives the rear wheels, or if the awd system is front biased. It's a status symbol they use to take the kids to school, or for a back road Hoon. 

Iirc even the ///M cars have been coming out awd for a while? I wonder what percentage they make in total sales. 

• Like 1

Well, maybe humanity has lost its way then :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KwS said:

Iirc even the ///M cars have been coming out awd for a while? I wonder what percentage they make in total sales. 

Aside from the X5M, the current M5 is the first ///M with AWD which was only launched late last year

The last newest BMW i would like to own is the M2 Comp.

Imo its the next step up from the 1M, better in every way.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Aside from the X5M, the current M5 is the first ///M with AWD which was only launched late last year

I actually don't mind them having AWD as long as it's a full time Torsen system with a rear bias set up.

But the new 1 is an icky Haldex system like a Golf R or A3. Essentially a front wheel drive until it can't handle being a front wheel drive no mo'.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, qube said:

The last newest BMW i would like to own is the M2 Comp.

Imo its the next step up from the 1M, better in every way.

Took one for a quick blat, it's pretty mental. Don't know if I could live with it as a daily, but as a weekender it'd be mint.

nice! although I love my M135, the B58 in the M140 is something else. it would be the perfect daily for sure.

27 minutes ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

I actually don't mind them having AWD as long as it's a full time Torsen system with a rear bias set up.

But the new 1 is an icky Haldex system like a Golf R or A3. Essentially a front wheel drive until it can't handle being a front wheel drive no mo'.

Agreed, Haldex is terrible to drive "enthusiastically". might as well just be FWD and save the weight, at least then there isnt any misconceptions about understeer. 

Edited by Jacko

50 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Agreed, Haldex is terrible to drive "enthusiastically". might as well just be FWD and save the weight, at least then there isnt any misconceptions about understeer. 

Lets them quote impressive 0-100's though, which let's face it that's why most people buy AWD's :P

3 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

I thought the Haldex systems were all electronic, and didn't have mechanical locking diffs in them?

Could come down to your definition of a "Haldex" system as there are quite a few of them under the generic name of the company.

Having seen first hand what the Haldex system on an S3 can do, there is no way a FWD could corner quite the same.

Dismissing AWD and FWD because "RWD is just better" is ignorant.

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I thought the Haldex systems were all electronic, and didn't have mechanical locking diffs in them?

Could come down to your definition of a "Haldex" system as there are quite a few of them under the generic name of the company.

Yeh they use electronics to sense front wheel slip and then kick in the rears via a hydraulic clutch. 

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Having seen first hand what the Haldex system on an S3 can do, there is no way a FWD could corner quite the same.

Dismissing AWD and FWD because "RWD is just better" is ignorant.

I’m not dismissing AWD at all - it definitely has its place. But personally I prefer Torsen and other full time AWD systems to modified FWD like Haldex and others. 

Actually I watched a really interesting video the other day that argues that XDrive from BMW has actually stolen a bit of a march on the Audi Quattro system (Torsen implementation ala S4 and higher) which is why Audi has adapted so many of the principles in their new e-Quattro system. 

I’m actually quietly looking forward to when EV AWD is affordable, each wheel having its own motor independently driven and all controlled by a central brain. Sure, possibly more to go wrong, but the control possibilities would essentially be limitless. 

Edited by BlackrazorNZ

11 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Yeh they use electronics to sense front wheel slip and then kick in the rears via a hydraulic clutch. 

So not what's in the new M135i then..?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

So not what's in the new M135i then..?

My understanding is the new M-1xx's use a Haldex-like version of XDrive, where is full time FWD until it needs rear wheel traction.

As opposed to the current implementation of XDrive on most cars, where it's a full time AWD system with a nominal 40/60 front/rear torque split, with the addition of an electronic multi-plate clutch and sensors that allow you to send up to 100% of torque to front, rear, or even 1 specific wheel. That's the advantage over the normal Quattro system Audi uses as the Quattro system will always apportion at least some torque to every wheel, even if they're slipping.

BMWs transition of low end models becoming Japanese eco boxes is getting more and more refined by the Germans.

Soon they will come with hello kitty accessories! 

• Like 2