Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

Current 1-Series vs 2020 1-Series

Hmmm, I still think referring to something as a "haldex system" is a bit of a sweeping generalisation as there are now a variety of different systems, electronic, mechanical, electro-mechanical, FWD bias, RWD bias, etc all being shoe-horned in together under the same terminology.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hmmm, I still think referring to something as a "haldex system" is a bit of a sweeping generalisation as there are now a variety of different systems, electronic, mechanical, electro-mechanical, FWD bias, RWD bias, etc all being shoe-horned in together under the same terminology.

There’s been some great adoptions made from the Haldex idea too. The AYC in the mid 90’s onwards mitsu evo’s was one of my favs

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, BlackrazorNZ said:

My understanding is the new M-1xx's use a Haldex-like version of XDrive, where is full time FWD until it needs rear wheel traction.

As opposed to the current implementation of XDrive on most cars, where it's a full time AWD system with a nominal 40/60 front/rear torque split, with the addition of an electronic multi-plate clutch and sensors that allow you to send up to 100% of torque to front, rear, or even 1 specific wheel. That's the advantage over the normal Quattro system Audi uses as the Quattro system will always apportion at least some torque to every wheel, even if they're slipping.

Found some more info on the up-coming 1 Series xDrive.

It reads very much like it is nearer to your description of the current xDrive systems currently used, with intelligent torque vectoring linked to the DSC. Hopefully it is a configurable setting in the M135i in the same way it is in the M5 driving modes.

I will be very interested to see what eventuates, however I'm somewhat skeptical as the engine mounting in the new 1-series has been confirmed as transverse, where as the M5-esque implementation of Xdrive relies on a good old longitudinal mounted engine.

Perhaps they've found some clever engineering way around it, but every transverse mount AWD implementation I've seen has been front bias with no more than 50% torque ever available to the rears.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quoting prev post

The info I saw definately mentioned 100% can be sent to the rear if / when required.

My reference to the M5 was more that you can select which mode you want - RWD, AWD, Rear-bias AWD, etc. I would like to see this feature in the M135i, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Here's a vid of the new M135i - exhaust noise and track handling sample.

Little bit of understeer but nothing too bad. Definitely saddened to see little/no rear end wiggle tho :(

@BlackrazorNZ it looks rapid but pretty homogenous c.f. the other German marques hot hatches (A45 / Golf R). At least the RS3 still has the 2.5T 5cyl in it for now. Seems the Germans all want to emulate each other as much as possible (A3 sedan / CLA class / 2 series Gran Coupe) and now this. A bit of individuality wouldn't go amiss...