Sign in to follow this  
Crozzy

WTB OEM Coolant

Hey guys

Long story, but, I was planning to change out my thermostat, waterpump and coolant over the long weekend. I've got all the other parts sitting here, but I just went down to Winger BMW and low and behold their parts department is closed on the weekends so I can't get the coolant. Bugger! So due to poor planning on my part, I'm left to either buy aftermarket coolant or save the maintenance for another time.

I'd really like to go OEM on this one, so by any chance does anyone in Wellington have about 10 litres of BMW coolant they're willing to sell to me? A long shot for sure, but can't hurt to try!

Cheers

parts department closed.!!?!?!? i am sure they will have bottles of coolant on a shelf!Maybe even in the showroom!

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Cant help sorry, but- 10 litres!!! It is supposed to be mixed 50:50 with distilled water, so 3 bottles (4.5 litres) will be heaps.

Yeah sorry, that's kind of what I meant, 10L worth of coolant :)

50 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

parts department closed.!!?!?!? i am sure they will have bottles of coolant on a shelf!Maybe even in the showroom!

I know right! Didn't think it'd be that hard but apparently they can't do it.

Ended up going to Repco and getting Penrite green coolant. It's approved for use by BMW so should be a suitable replacement, even if it's only until I decide to replace it later down the line with OEM stuff

i cant understand that,although its not unusual.The mitsi dealer parts dept was not open in the weekend either.The Toyota dealer however is a different story altogether,although that may have been special as they had just had the workshop floor "replaced" so they were there this morning

43 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

i cant understand that,although its not unusual.The mitsi dealer parts dept was not open in the weekend either.The Toyota dealer however is a different story altogether,although that may have been special as they had just had the workshop floor "replaced" so they were there this morning

Does make it a bit of a pain for people that work weekdays during their open hours such as I do. Checked Google to see if they were open, and kind of assumed them being open meant they were fully operational, but I understand them needing to give staff time off. Just wish I had known before hand - partly my fault for not calling in to ask I suppose.

i would say a lot of people would be similar...hmm might do some work on the car this weekend,off to the dealerr for this and that...wtf closed.No wonder most people who do their own work get parts from the interwebz

• Like 1

Most places here in Christchurch are open Saturday mornings at least. Must be a lazy wellingtonian thing ?

5 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

Wellington Mitsubishi was open Saturday mornings when i worked there. Might have changed since Gazley took over.

15 minutes ago, KwS said:

Wellington Mitsubishi was open Saturday mornings when i worked there. Might have changed since Gazley took over.

my memory must be fading then Ahh saturday mornings yes you are right

Sorry I missed this man.  I have a couple of full bottles of BMW Blue Coolant could have sorted you out.  I take it you've sourced what you needed by now, @Crozzy?

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

Sorry I missed this man.  I have a couple of full bottles of BMW Blue Coolant could have sorted you out.  I take it you've sourced what you needed by now, @Crozzy?

Yep, all sorted now, cheers mate!

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:58 PM, Olaf said:

What are you after for them. Or wanting to keep. 

Some years ago I tried to get correct fluids for something from an Audi dealer. Parts department was open, but they didn't have any they could sell me, and had to special order it in!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kiwi6539 said:

I’d offer to someone to help them out on a weekend ?, and expect replacement.  I’d purchased them for a cooling system flush that I’m yet to execute.  If I wanted to sell, they’d be listed in the for sale room.

If you’re after some, your local BMW dealer will have BMW coolant in stock.  This is where I’ll (unashamedly) plug that production of your BMW Car Club NZ membership card will win you 10% off, too.

Hope that helps.

57 minutes ago, gjm said:

Some years ago I tried to get correct fluids for something from an Audi dealer. Parts department was open, but they didn't have any they could sell me, and had to special order it in!

Glad to see you’ve learned the error of your ways ??

2 hours ago, kiwi6539 said:

If it's for you 1989 530i then just get something suitable from Repco or Supercheap for half the price (or less).

Just drained did a bit of cooling system work on my friends M44 which had been filled with the Nulon LL (HOAT) for over 10 years. Looked very clean inside.

Probably use Zerex G-05 from Partmaster when i refill it as its the same price.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, Olaf said:

I’d offer to someone to help them out on a weekend ?, and expect replacement.  I’d purchased them for a cooling system flush that I’m yet to execute.  If I wanted to sell, they’d be listed in the for sale room.

If you’re after some, your local BMW dealer will have BMW coolant in stock.  This is where I’ll (unashamedly) plug that production of your BMW Car Club NZ membership card will win you 10% off, too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks 

Depends on source of said tap water.  

You know where we can get demineralised water from the tap??? 

Do tell... 

• Like 1

given demineralised water is toxic to humans, i hope you are holding your local council to account Jared

No i dont know where to get it from a tap. Ive used rainwater which comes out a tap here for every car ive owned or worked on. Tap water quality has a huge variance, NZ's soft water would be nothing like China's for example. There is an actual specification for water quality to be used in cooling systems.

If you want to use demineralised water for whatever reason then knock your self out, im not saying not to use it. Ive pulled apart enough of my own cars and seen enough pulled apart that having proper coolant and changing it when required is far more critical here. Be surprised if the average garage is charging out customers for demineralised water.

The correct water is $6 for 10 litres from the supermarket, no real reason not to use it IMO.

• Like 1