Sign in to follow this  
hooked

E85 2003 Z4 softtop 3.0

Hi everyone. My soft top has stopped working. When i press the “top down” button the windows partially open as usual and The motor that runs the unlock/lock mechanism then partially opens the top but then it doesnt move any further. I can hear a sort of clicking sound where the hydraulic motor is situated but nothing is happening. I have checked the manual opening red pull out ring under the left side of the tray and it is engaged so am guessing the motor may be stuffed. I havent had any professional diagnosis yet but did call BMW to get a price for the part and installation cost. I was ready for the part price $1150 but not ready for their installation price which was to say the least exorbitant, apparently it would take them at least 3 days!!!!!

Who out there has had to replace this mechanism? I have looked on youtube and there are many quite well detailed videos of this work. I think i could possibly handle the removal of the softtop then replacing it but not so sure of the electrical bits. Can anyone suggest advice or even better somewhere that could do this job for at least a reasonable cost? I am based in Christchurch.

Thanks for any thoughts

John

Hi John

Wow, that's one expensive motor.

EBay pricing for a 54347193448 gives

- motor only NZ$330 delivered, you need to be able to do the motor change on the hydro unit

- complete Hydro unit NZ$920 delivered (around 4 -6 weeks delivery time)

Bet the BMW dealer will only put the new motor back into original position, ready for it to fill with water again and fail.  Better off doing the job yourself and doing a relocation job at the same time.

I have not had to do a hydro relocation on a Z4 but have an electrical fitting background and I'm willing to give you a hand.  I'm based in Timaru.

Regards

Murray

• Like 2

Ouch. 

Are your drains clear and running?  I've read that blocked drains flood and kill vert top mechs in Z4 and 6ers.

12 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Hi John

Wow, that's one expensive motor.

EBay pricing for a 54347193448 gives

- motor only NZ$330 delivered, you need to be able to do the motor change on the hydro unit

- complete Hydro unit NZ$920 delivered (around 4 -6 weeks delivery time)

Bet the BMW dealer will only put the new motor back into original position, ready for it to fill with water again and fail.  Better off doing the job yourself and doing a relocation job at the same time.

I have not had to do a hydro relocation on a Z4 but have an electrical fitting background and I'm willing to give you a hand.  I'm based in Timaru.

Regards

Murray

Wow Murray that is a kind offer. I will do a little more investigation on those parts. I sure would appreciate your help. The delivery time you mention gives works out well as we are heading away on holiday in 2weeks, back mid Feb. i will probably call you before that and maybe we can set something up later in feb or march. Thanks again.