Sign in to follow this  
nzsapper

Question re UPS and how duty is charged

Hi all

Question for those how have imported parts using UPS

As a first time importer of parts from the US I am alittle confused over my charges for importation and the way they contacted me re payment. UPS is the postal service used at NZ $164 for the 12.5kg of parts (H&R springs, Turner motorsports) worth $460  total bill $625

Items arrive in Auckland (within 3 days, yay) I then get a phone call from UPS NZ to say I owe another $194 in duty. I calculated it at around $140ish, used Customs own web site estimator for this and didnt see anything about these other add on charges that are on my UPS invoice.

DESCRIPTION GST IN NZD CHARGES IN NZD

Customs Duty  = 19.05

Customs Entry Fee  = 52.67

Customs GST  = 97.66

Disbursement Charge 15%=1.65 = 11.00

Customs EDI Fee and Security Fee 15%=1.58 = 10.50

Total $194.11NZ

Just find the way they contacted me strange in that I had to ask them for an invoice, is this normally the proceedure you'd expect from UPS NZ (email address is from upfalk@wisegrid.net, so not quite UPS) .

Does this appers to be legit?

Thanks in advance

Paul

I always get an email from UPSAOCCOD-NZ@UPS.com saying

"your parcel has incurred customs charges please call 0800742587 EXT 3 and quote SAI# or email  UPSAOCCOD-NZ@UPS.com"

Maybe give them a call to that number and check it out, the email address you have shown look dodgy.

From memory they had their own charge for brokerage of customs fee.

Edited by andrewm

Every time I've had the misfortune to deal with UPS, they've got it wrong.  

First thing to note, is they can charge pretty much whatever they like - within reason - for their Fees and Charges, for brokerage.  This is not accounted for in the 'what's my duty' calculator.

So the point to concentrate on is what figures have they used to calculate your taxes and fees.  I've had to school them on their maths every time.  Given they're collecting taxes on behalf of our govt, you'd think they'd want to get this right.  Be patient with them, you'll get the right outcome in the end.  It may cost you a couple of days, though.

Contrast this with FedEx, who will contact you before the package has left the USA, provide you with emailed invoice, and advise that if you pay before x date, the package will be delivered without delay.  They get their calculations right, and their charges are reasonable and consistent.

All my UPS dealings have come from a UPS.com email address.  UPS NZ are on 0800 742 587.‬

• Like 1

Cheers

Sadly I didnt have the patience today and after a short discussion it became clear to me that they held my goods that I have spent much time (18mths) deceiding what will the right look for my car and if I didnt pay them I wasnt getting them...........I paid and will put it down to a lesson 

Will try Fedex next time

Will post before and after photos once new springs fitted

• Like 1

+1 for Fedex. They have never charged me GST on the freight cost also unlike every other mofo.