Sign in to follow this  
LDD

WTB: zf 5 speed for e36

I’ve been looking for a zf 5 speed for my e36, so if anyone knows someone or has one for sale let me know

Sweet thanks, do you know whether or not a getrag220 shifterlinkage will work for a zf, I manual swapped one into my car but now I’m looking for an upgrade on the gearbox so was hoping I just had to swap the box

ZF and Getrag shift linkages are different.

they did quote me $600 for the gearbox alone

No, that's about what ZF boxes go for. Expect to pay $1500-$1800 for a complete conversion kit for a ZF box, that includes the flywheel, clutch, pedals, linkages etc. or at least $700 - $800 for the box on it's own, that's about where the market price is.

Getrag boxes are cheaper but not as strong. Having said that, I had a Getrag 220 box in my E36 328i that I punished severely, and it never failed on me. So if you want to save $$$ now, you'll have to go Getrag. If you want to potentially save bigger $$$ later on, spend more now on a ZF setup.

• Like 1

Yeah I currently have a getrag 220 in it but it’s on its way out so I thought instead of buying another getrag, which I could do cause I’ve seen them for about 300 on their own, I’d upgrade to a zf. But the $1000 quote was for just the box which is on the steep end of what they are worth, maybe if it came with gearlinkages aswell.

they weren’t sure on whether or not it was a zf so I left them my number and am still yet to hear from them

Yeah unfortunately that's what they seem to go for. Can always upgrade to a G250 box, it's stronger and will drop straight in, so you don't need to mess around with linkages or pilot bearings or anything. Just a thought ?

Do you know what the g250 boxes are out of, and how much they go for?

G250 mostly came out of 325i/328i I believe. Possibly also the 320i and 323i but I could be wrong. The G220's were behind the 4cyl models, though having said that, my 316Ti came from factory with a G250 box so they may be an option for other models.

I'm not sure what the G250 boxes go for on their own sorry. Mostly only see G220 boxes on TradeMe these days, occasionally a G240 will turn up but that won't be much use to you either.

Thanks, I recently brought a 325i manual for 700 but havnt got the box out then, if what you say is true hopefully it is a g250 :)

8 hours ago, LDD said:

Thanks, I recently brought a 325i manual for 700 but havnt got the box out then, if what you say is true hopefully it is a g250 :)

if its an early nonvanos 325i then will most likely be the ZF you are looking for!!

On 2/27/2019 at 6:30 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

if its an early nonvanos 325i then will most likely be the ZF you are looking for!!

I thought that the 316,318,320,325 all came with the G220 and the 328i and 3.0 M3 came with the ZF?

Andy is correct, early E34 M50's were the same. Even some early E39 523i manuals used it.

I had a early NZ new 325i coupe with factory ZF box, sports suspension, sport seats and an LSD. Probably one of the rarest spec'd E36's of the planet. 

7 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

I thought that the 316,318,320,325 all came with the G220 and the 328i and 3.0 M3 came with the ZF?

Nope. I wrecked a 94 E36 325i factory manual with a G250 box. I believe the 220 box only came behind the 4cyl's. 325i's and 328i's should mostly have the G250 box (depending on the option they were specified with), with the M3's and some Msport 328i's getting the ZF.

18 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I had a early NZ new 325i coupe with factory ZF box, sports suspension, sport seats and an LSD. Probably one of the rarest spec'd E36's of the planet. 

Interesting. The one I wrecked had the G250, sports suspension and seats. Open diff. So it may have just been what was specified at the time of the build?

Yeah my E34 525i has a ZF box ?, but in saying that I also have a early E36 325i parts car with a g250 (import from the UK).

Edited by TLH

1 hour ago, Mad_Max said:

Open diff. So it may have just been what was specified at the time of the build?

When i say early it was like March or April of '91 so one of the first, probably the same reason it had LSD unlike most E36's 

as i said, an early non vanos.