Sign in to follow this  
NZ_InFerno

New Member - e81 130i

Hi all,

Since I've been browsing here for info I better sign up and introduce myself/my car. It's the second BMW I've owned, my last car was a 2007 e90 325i M-Sport in Le Mans Blue. 

I looked for a new car for 6 months, wanted a 335i coupe but drove a 130i and was immediately sold, reminded me of my old 3.2 A3 which I loved and funnily enough my old Celica. The handling and power was so much fun I immediately switched to looking for LCI 130i and found this one. 

It's an e81 130i M-Sport with pretty low kms and a beige leather interior that looks way better in person ;D Super comfy and a hoot to drive. There has been a couple of things done to it, wheels and tyres replaced by what I understand is the newer 1 series models wheels and 245/45 non run flat tyres fitted. Its also got a Supersprint back box, sounds fantastic when you boot it. 

Got some things I want to do with it so will be a WIP for a bit. 

IMG-20181022-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181022-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181025-WA0010.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome, E81s are very rare here, yours is the second Ive seen. UK/Singapore import?

Step 1 with a 130 : LSD ;)

Edit - Singapore - https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ve72044

Edited by Jacko

14 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Awesome, E81s are very rare here, yours is the second Ive seen. UK/Singapore import?

Step 1 with a 130 : LSD ;)

Edit - Singapore - https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ve72044

I've read about 130s and putting in an LSD, do you have any info about getting it done in NZ?

I was at Winger BMW today in Welly and the Service dude said that my car wasn't available for sale in NZ. I didn't realise it was that rare, is there any site to see how many of a particular model are in the country? 

Singapore import, still got the toll meter onboard XD

27 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I was at Winger BMW today in Welly and the Service dude said that my car wasn't available for sale in NZ.

I like this a lot.

The other reason there aren't any here is because the E81 wasn't sold in Japan - only the E87 (of which there are now plenty in NZ, generally poorly specced compared to the Singapore versions).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I've read about 130s and putting in an LSD, do you have any info about getting it done in NZ?

I was at Winger BMW today in Welly and the Service dude said that my car wasn't available for sale in NZ. I didn't realise it was that rare, is there any site to see how many of a particular model are in the country? 

Singapore import, still got the toll meter onboard XD

I got mine from Birds in the UK, has Kayne Barrie motorsport rebuild the diff with the LSD centre installed. Totally changes the character of the car for the better. 

• Like 1

Welcome :) I saw another 130i in the car park at Countdown Botany the other day so you’ve got at least a couple car-buddies in NZ :) 

Also since it’s a 2008 build, if you haven’t already, make sure that you get updated to the latest software (2013 or later) so that you’re not exposed to that OBD bypass that lets people steal your car with a dummy key fob. Mate in the UK had it happen to him :(

• Sad 1

the wheels are indeed from the F20, our 116i has these wheels. if you feel like changing to some 18" wheels let me know, i got a *few* sets of wheels for sale... haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Dan, fun car!  

Do subscribe (follow) the Wellington meetups room, plenty of runs/meetups/BMW Club monthly pub night (Bimmersporters always welcome)...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this, and hope to see you at an event soon.

• Like 1

take a look at @Jacko's thread here 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

I got mine from Birds in the UK, has Kayne Barrie motorsport rebuild the diff with the LSD centre installed. Totally changes the character of the car for the better. 

I had a look on Birds website, from your build you got the 2k quid kit? I'm putting it on the wishlist! I'm guessing once I get to a track day or two I'll be quite keen for the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Welcome :) I saw another 130i in the car park at Countdown Botany the other day so you’ve got at least a couple car-buddies in NZ :) 

Could potentially have been this one if it was black? I know there was a white one with stripes on trademe.

1 hour ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Also since it’s a 2008 build, if you haven’t already, make sure that you get updated to the latest software (2013 or later) so that you’re not exposed to that OBD bypass that lets people steal your car with a dummy key fob. Mate in the UK had it happen to him :(

I'll ask Winger about it, or can I upgrade that myself? They did a battery cable recall but didn't note any other bmw fixes. 

58 minutes ago, qube said:

the wheels are indeed from the F20, our 116i has these wheels. if you feel like changing to some 18" wheels let me know, i got a *few* sets of wheels for sale... haha

I thought so, I do like them but have thought about getting some 18" wheels. Send me a link or pm about them ?

28 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Welcome Dan, fun car!  

Do subscribe (follow) the Wellington meetups room, plenty of runs/meetups/BMW Club monthly pub night (Bimmersporters always welcome)...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this, and hope to see you at an event soon.

I have been looking at that already hah, I go to the British/European car show every year so will definitely be there with the car! 

Will look at the other events as keen to get some miles on the car as I haven't driven it a whole lot so far. 

24 minutes ago, BozzaFC said:

These are cool. I hope to see it and you around!

Will do! 

13 minutes ago, Olaf said:

take a look at @Jacko's thread here 

I'm not that skilled with a wrench to do that all myself, epic read though. Definitely on my list as an upgrade, along with a new air filter and a tune. 

9 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I'll ask Winger about it, or can I upgrade that myself? They did a battery cable recall but didn't note any other bmw fixes. 

Bit more info here

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745973

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09/18/bmw-stolen-hacking-kit/

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1483070

2 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

I don't have idrive or connected media so don't think it applies to mine but will raise it with the workshop. 

Cool car, see you around Wellington.

• Like 1