Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

Paint Protective Film, Ceramic Coating, etc

Hi all,

What are peoples' experiences with PPF, Ceramic Coat, etc etc in NZ?

It's not cheap - do those who have had it done recommend it / still feel in hindsight it's worth it?

Thinking about getting it done but a full PPF and ceramic treat is probably gonna run me $3.5-4.5k depending on options...

ECC9648.jpg

ECC9649.jpg

havent done it personally because I dont buy new cars nor do i keep them for a long time.

but if i did buy new and planned to keep it i would think its a good idea to do it.

know a couple of people who have done the front end and it has been worth it especially in NZ due to poor road surfaces.

but I thought you were considering a wrap in that smurf blue in which case its probably a waste of money?

Save the 4k for two front end resprays at reputable shops or wrap the car. 

• Like 1

Wow, up to $4.5k?

In that case I agree with Andrew, put the money in a passive growth fund and use the proceeds over time to repaint as required.

Have you spoken to the guys at OCD about options?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Wow, up to $4.5k?

In that case I agree with Andrew, put the money in a passive growth fund and use the proceeds over time to repaint as required.

Have you spoken to the guys at OCD about options?

Haven't spoken to them, no, but the $3.5-4.5k range is based on a quote for approx $2.5k from the Wrap Shop for a full frontal PPF, plus adding up approx $2k from OCD's website prices for exterior and interior ceramic ($1k exterior ceramic, $0.5k prep, $0.5k interior)

Edited by BlackrazorNZ

4 hours ago, qube said:

but I thought you were considering a wrap in that smurf blue in which case its probably a waste of money?

Yes I asked about that but apparently colour wraps aren't anywhere near as protective to stone chips etc as PPF film is. Plus, I'm considering 'eventually' smurfing it, can't really do it for the 3 years the car will be on a PCP - at the end I need to decide if I like it enough to fork out the balance, at which point I can start experimenting a bit with it, or just hand it back and start paying for a new model.

Edited by BlackrazorNZ

my advice is do the clear film on the front of the car, bonnet, front guards, front bumper, and call it a day.

should cost about 1-2k and thats good enough imo.

I can't imagine you'd want an external ceramic coating on a PPF/wrap, that would seem like a waste of money to me. As for the interior, that shouldn't need any protection unless you're planning to abuse it.

I agree with Kyu, if you're really, really concerned get the front end wrapped clear and forget about the rest. Although I'd never bother to do that on any car I owned unless it was collectable.

• Like 1

Have used lots of the paint film on fleet cars and rental cars. Do make a big difference to the general nicks, chips and damage. 

Would certainly improve the condition and help resale value. Worth it on a new car you’re keeping. Plenty of people out there doing it so shop around as that price does seem a little on high.

• Like 1

Wife’s new car had a $400 version done from the dealer. Even at that low price I find her suv quicker to clean than my m3. Paint comes up great with a simple wash and towel.

1 year on still please with the results 

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I've pretty much decided best course of action is to just look after the factory paintwork to a reasonable degree during the lease period, and then if I decide to pay the balloon and keep it (in 3 years or so), i'll just get a full wrap in colour of my choice then. Will only cost about the same as fixing it all up from new, and will give me the option of a new colour to breath some fresh life into the ownership experience at least :)

If keeping and doing lots of open road driving it’s worth it imo.

It’s hard to believe that this protection stuff stops/prevents damage from sharp pieces of stone flying at high speed in to paint work though.