Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

BBQ

Anyone else here into BBQ (and other variants of outdoor cooking) as a hobby?

Other than cars, it's one of my passions, along with watches and a bit of gaming.

1426777683_2018-08-2315_30_45.thumb.jpg.974218408c518e4b7532b693ad3d3ea7.jpg

2018-09-08 16.41.58-1.jpg

2018-07-29 15.12.40-1.jpg

2018-07-29 18.59.30.jpg

• Like 3

Family Q  + Longines + Tissot + Casio (dive watch)

Salmon tonight. ?

Edited by M3AN

you guys doing some slow cool smoking, then?

I'm just on gas, where I live charcoal needs more committment with the wind.  I use smoker boxes with cabernet or shiraz-soaked wood chips, and ceramic flame-tamers to help with the smoking beneath the hood.

Mine's an old BBQ factory full-stainless 4 burner that I restored, souped-up with enamelled grilles and the flame-tamers. It works well, and saved me spending a couple of grand that I didn't have to spare.

24512305474_e6673f6241_h.thumb.jpg.3438f6bc45a181db5062409bee344e54.jpgIMG_7802.thumb.JPG.4ea6a1ea42f32e2cf38de6cdbac2bcb8.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Took me a few moment to realise that Family Q wasn't a watch :D 

Don't have a barby but can compensate for that with a few watches... a few Breitlings,  a couple of Tags, Longines, Seiko MM300  + Tuna can + SLD005, a Tissot and probably something else I keep forgetting about.

3 hours ago, Palazzo said:

You mean like my new toy?

Oklahoma Joe! Nice one :)

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Q's are great - I prefer cooking on charcoal for the heat and flavour but nothing beats the Q for a few steaks or sausies in a hurry!

47 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I'm just on gas, where I live charcoal needs more committment with the wind.

Bit of low and slow, bit of super hot sear, and some in the middle.

And yeh wind can be a challenge with some charcoal cookers, but for smoking an insulated chamber smoker will fix a lot of that. My Chubby (above) will go fine even in a howling gale.

3 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Share some pics!

I buy and sell as a hobby so far too many to list, but here's some recent highlights.

IMG_E8391.jpg

IMG_E8343.jpg

2019-01-10 13.56.08-1.jpg

IMG_E8334.jpg

2019-01-02 09.50.54-1.jpg

2018-03-02 17.36.20.jpg

2018-04-21 09.16.38.jpg

2018-09-22 09.11.33-1.jpg

2018-10-21 15.37.25-2.jpg

2018-12-09 07.04.24.jpg

2018-12-12 17.57.54-2.jpg

2018-12-17 07.52.56.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sobanoodle said:

Seiko MM300 

Gone up in price so much recently. The 'new' version is over $5000 o_O

it's a tough call between the IWC and the Magrette!  A Leoncino, nice!  I like the Tudor below it, too - never seen that model before.  

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

it's a tough call between the IWC and the Magrette!  A Leoncino, nice!  I like the Tudor below it, too - never seen that model before.  

Haha I’m actually selling the Leoncino if you know someone who might be interested. 

5 minutes ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Haha I’m actually selling the Leoncino if you know someone who might be interested. 

sacrilege.

I thought my broil king and casio G shock from 10 years ago was pretty cool. Now I feel inadequate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

how much for the nomos and GS?

Both recently sold sorry bud. Down to the Rolex GMT, the RL, the IWC Portuguiser and the Monta at the mo - rest all recently sold to make way for something big :D

58 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I thought my broil king and casio G shock from 10 years ago was pretty cool. Now I feel inadequate. 

Mate, that's the cool thing about watch collecting, it's like this group - doesn't matter whether you've got a brand new solid gold Rolex or a $50 Seiko 5, what matters is that you're having fun :) It's like with anything, the more you get into a hobby the more expensive it gets, and watches are the worst. You start thinking spending $2000 on a watch is an 'impulse buy' and $5000 is 'affordable' - don't go down the rabbit hole! :D

• Like 1

I like my Omegas but my Speedy is due for a service. 

I have a broilking but it’s too insufficient to post here!

My other passion is collecting vintage Gillette safety razors, which I use with a brush and soap every day... don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

18 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

My other passion is collecting vintage Gillette safety razors, which I use with a brush and soap every day... don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

I have a mate in Hamilton who would gnaw your arm off for those :)

9 hours ago, Jacko said:

my daily beater is a Seiko 007 Pepsi, I'm comfortable in my choice.  ?   

14 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'm just on gas, where I live charcoal needs more committment with the wind.  I use smoker boxes with cabernet or shiraz-soaked wood chips, and ceramic flame-tamers to help with the smoking beneath the hood.

Mine's an old BBQ factory full-stainless 4 burner that I restored, souped-up with enamelled grilles and the flame-tamers. It works well, and saved me spending a couple of grand that I didn't have to spare.

24512305474_e6673f6241_h.thumb.jpg.3438f6bc45a181db5062409bee344e54.jpgIMG_7802.thumb.JPG.4ea6a1ea42f32e2cf38de6cdbac2bcb8.JPG

Nice looking piece of meat. I ran the same set up recently with gas and a smoker box to do ribs etc. but decided to try charcoal.

Just a Breitling and a Longines for me. On pain of torture by the wife.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BlackrazorNZ said:

Anyone else here into BBQ (and other variants of outdoor cooking) as a hobby?

Other than cars, it's one of my passions, along with watches and a bit of gaming.

1426777683_2018-08-2315_30_45.thumb.jpg.974218408c518e4b7532b693ad3d3ea7.jpg

2018-07-29 18.59.30.jpg

That’s a nice cooking set up you’ve got there. 

Been intoduced into low and slow recently, lot of work but soo nice! Big fan of the beef short rib now.

Starting to experiment with my hooded gas barbie, but not made the commitment to buying a big green egg yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

not made the commitment to buying a big green egg yet!

Honestly, a $250 Weber Premium from the likes of Container Door will cook just as well and is better to learn on as it forces you to learn temperature control, the benefits of a water pan, snake and minion methods, etc. Eggs are brilliant (I’ve owned 2 BGE’s and a Kamado Joe) but they are so controlled that you can actually be a bit lazy. 

Think about it this way - jumping straight to an Egg is like learning to drive in an automatic instead of a manual. Sure, it gets the job done, but you’re stuffed if you ever have to use something without it. 

6 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Nice looking piece of meat. I ran the same set up recently with gas and a smoker box to do ribs etc. but decided to try charcoal.

Many thanks!  It was done with a rub, a bit of olive oil over it, and slow-ish cooked at around 110c and constantly smoked with the smoke boxes.   My killer piece of equipment is a digital meat thermometer, to measure internal temp of the meat.  No guess-work!

I've just bought Bear Paws, make shredding meat easier.  Who wants to pull their err pork with forks, when they can use Bear Paws? ?

IMG_7949.thumb.JPG.edb2da4ed0ca522c04c23fc7a6522754.JPG

And yes, subtle flash of my trusty Tag Heuer 2000, my wife bought for me in '96.

I've challenged myself to be able to do beef short ribs.  I don't know where to start.  I know I'll need a rib rack.  What's the story - anyone have a recommended approach for Gas?

Cheers

Edited by Olaf
linkage

19 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've challenged myself to be able to do beef short ribs.  I don't know where to start.  I know I'll need a rib rack.  What's the story - anyone have a recommended approach for Gas?

Can’t really comment on the gas bit, but you won’t need a rib rack for short ribs, they’re a pile larger than pork ribs so just elevate them on a wire cake rack or the like. The challenge will be keeping the temperature low and consistent enough for long enough and/or getting smoke over a long period. 

• Thanks 1

oh the horror. those poor animals.. I'm vegan hahahahah just playing! that food looks incredible!

• Like 1