Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

E39 front strut replacement. What do I need to buy?

So, front right strut looks pretty failed. It's only 231k km young...

Do I need a whole assembly, or can I reuse any parts from the existing assembly?

RealOEM diagram for my car's front strut assembly.

Or looking at buying this kit from FCP Euro but do I really need all those parts?

EDIT: Specifically, do I need to replace this strut mount?

Edited by Gabe79

There is a good chance yours is knackered at that mileage, but probably still useable, i would plan on doing it at the same time because if it is shot you will have no car until the part arrives and have to pay more shipping.

19 minutes ago, aja540i said:

There is a good chance yours is knackered at that mileage, but probably still useable, i would plan on doing it at the same time because if it is shot you will have no car until the part arrives and have to pay more shipping.

Thanks. I think I'll just accept I need a whole assembly. Seems safer.

Definitely get the strut mounts, whilst the rubber is usually passable the bearings are typically rough gone at those k's. New bump stops and rubber boots are probably needed in this case, maybe the lower spring pads if they are deteriorating but the rest of that kit isn't typically needed in my experience

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Definitely get the strut mounts, whilst the rubber is usually passable the bearings are typically rough gone at those k's. New bump stops and rubber boots are probably needed in this case, maybe the lower spring pads if they are deteriorating but the rest of that kit isn't typically needed in my experience

If I need those, they're the relatively expensive bits. The rest feel like peanuts afterwards. I might just get the whole kit anyway.

If I could have skipped the mounts, or the bump stops, that'd been a good saving, but if I can't, I won't skimp on the little pieces.

Its not so much the price of the items but the added postage costs on top on that due to weight\size. Sure the bolts and washers are probably fine to add but not essential, get them in NZ easy enough also. Things like those metal coil spring seats are generally pointless for cars in nz unless they have been damaged etc.

If you don't care about spending a bit more then its really a non issue. I don't buy anything i don't need to myself.

Edited by Eagle

50 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Its not so much the price of the items but the added postage costs on top on that due to weight\size. Sure the bolts and washers are probably fine to add but not essential, get them in NZ easy enough also. Things like those metal coil spring seats are generally pointless for cars in nz unless they have been damaged etc.

If you don't care about spending a bit more then its really a non issue. I don't buy anything i don't need to myself.

What do you mean about the coil spring seats being pointless here? I am clueless on this point. :)

EDIT: I do totally buy bits and bobs I don't need. Usually any bolt I am touching gets replaced. Any washer, etc... Smaller parts too. If it adds relatively negligible costs, it's getting replaced as collateral cost/damage as it were.

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

Bump stops should only be a few bucks a side, I can't see them adding much to the overall cost.

Yes to the top mounts, you'll want to replace those.

You should be able to reuse: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15 and maybe 12 from the Real OEM link you posted, everything else needs replacing. Just clean the parts you're going to reuse and make sure they're not damaged or deformed.

That FCP kit seems more expensive than I'd expect and it's not essential to replace everything that's included.

Do get new bottom mount bolts for the struts though, don't reuse your existing ones.

All the bolts and nuts must be replaced - they're single-use.  The strut bearing - definitely.  The bump stops, spring seats etc - yes.  You can probably skip the perch -  number 9.  And save some money on some washers.  But hey - you get it apart, and find a couple of the bits you were scrimping on are knackered, what do you do - wait another week?  Or put it back together and tear it down again?  

Good luck with your search!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Olaf said:

All the bolts and nuts must be replaced - they're single-use.  The strut bearing - definitely.  The bump stops, spring seats etc - yes.  You can probably skip the perch -  number 9.  And save some money on some washers.  But hey - you get it apart, and find a couple of the bits you were scrimping on are knackered, what do you do - wait another week?  Or put it back together and tear it down again?  

Good luck with your search!

I'm inclined to this way of thinking too. :)

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Bump stops should only be a few bucks a side, I can't see them adding much to the overall cost.

Yes to the top mounts, you'll want to replace those.

You should be able to reuse: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15 and maybe 12 from the Real OEM link you posted, everything else needs replacing. Just clean the parts you're going to reuse and make sure they're not damaged or deformed.

That FCP kit seems more expensive than I'd expect and it's not essential to replace everything that's included.

Do get new bottom mount bolts for the struts though, don't reuse your existing ones.

What number are bottom mount bolts in that diagram I linked? Or number 3 in this diagram, the collar screw?

Check to make sure that the struts are for a e39 530 M sport and not the standard strut.

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

What do you mean about the coil spring seats being pointless here? I am clueless on this point. :)

NZ isn't is a place associated with under body rust caused by salted roads, even then its unlikely to suffer much as its situated very high and has a the rubber mount and spring pad covering the top and bottom. Im sure they mainly include it for the OCD types\ more sales 

There is no bottom mount bolts on E39 unless he's meaning the single pinch bolt and nut for the bottom of the strut (3 & 4)

43 minutes ago, allan said:

Check to make sure that the struts are for a e39 530 M sport and not the standard strut.

They are. Thank you. :)

42 minutes ago, Eagle said:

NZ isn't is a place associated with under body rust caused by salted roads, even then its unlikely to suffer much as its situated very high and has a the rubber mount and spring pad covering the top and bottom. Im sure they mainly include it for the OCD types\ more sales 

There is no bottom mount bolts on E39 unless he's meaning the single pinch bolt and nut for the bottom of the strut (3 & 4)

I see what you mean. I will probably get them anyway though. :)

Yeah 3/4 in that second diagram is what I figured too. I will order them, seems reasonable. 

have a look at rock auto. prices are good you can probably get the important parts through them. 

quick freight also. 

When my front struts went I got most of the stuff in that kit. Pretty sure the spring perch/ seat would be a waste of time- mine were fine at ~220K km. The bump stops, dust sleeves and spring shims were toast, I'd probably make up a kit from OEM instead of mostly Genuine BMW but that is just my Scots heritage shining through.

As you were, soldier- you are on the right track!

21 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I'm inclined to this way of thinking too. :)

What number are bottom mount bolts in that diagram I linked? Or number 3 in this diagram, the collar screw?

Yes, #3 - basically any high tensile bolt should be replaced.

And I disagree with the premise that all nuts, bolts, washers, spacers etc are single use, they're not. For example there's no need to replace top mount nuts unless they've failed for some reason (and that's improbable). Most of those parts are available locally anyway in the event that you find something that's damaged (which is again, highly unlikely). Spring retainers almost never need replacing.

Each to their own but you'll pay a premium if adding unnecessary bits in bumps up your shipping costs or worse, bumps the whole lot up over NZ$400. If cost is no object then go for it (of course) but I thought cost was a consideration in this case, sorry if I misunderstood. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

^ Pretty much how i interpreted the OP. It's not a zero sum game in this case.

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

And I disagree with the premise that all nuts, bolts, washers, spacers etc are single use, they're not.

who said all nuts bolts washers spacers are single use?

My comment was only intended for the benefit of Gabriel based on my experience, my point being simply that you don't need to replace everything.

I’m seeking to establish where “the premise” of replacing *everything* comes from.  It’s not been made in this thread, where are you getting your info from?

5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I’m seeking to establish where “the premise” of replacing *everything* comes from.  It’s not been made in this thread, where are you getting your info from?

I suggested that pretty much everything small I am touching along the way to whatever I am doing, gets replaced. Like if I am doing brakes, I replace lugs, rotor holding screw, caliper bolts (to the carrier) and guide pins. If it's adding say ~10% to my order, I usually just replace it all, as my car has turned out to have been extremely poorly maintained, and pretty much every single time I change something, I have found quirks from previous owners... I am getting a sense I am going a little bit overboard with this thinking though. :)

EDIT: Note I wouldn't replace lugs during a second repair in the area. Only the first time I went into an area of my car would I do this generally.

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

And I disagree with the premise that all nuts, bolts, washers, spacers etc are single use, they're not. For example there's no need to replace top mount nuts unless they've failed for some reason (and that's improbable). Most of those parts are available locally anyway in the event that you find something that's damaged (which is again, highly unlikely). Spring retainers almost never need replacing.

Each to their own but you'll pay a premium if adding unnecessary bits in bumps up your shipping costs or worse, bumps the whole lot up over NZ$400. If cost is no object then go for it (of course) but I thought cost was a consideration in this case, sorry if I misunderstood. 

Thank you for the clarification on #3. I see your point about bolts/washers/etc... I should update my thinking perhaps (at least until I get burned by a previous repair again... :) )

On 1/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, Young Thrash Driver said:

When my front struts went I got most of the stuff in that kit. Pretty sure the spring perch/ seat would be a waste of time- mine were fine at ~220K km. The bump stops, dust sleeves and spring shims were toast, I'd probably make up a kit from OEM instead of mostly Genuine BMW but that is just my Scots heritage shining through.

As you were, soldier- you are on the right track!

I might well end up doing that. As is, that kit is well over $400NZD, so it'd get broken up into two orders anyway...

On 1/28/2019 at 8:44 AM, Mr Vapour said:

have a look at rock auto. prices are good you can probably get the important parts through them. 

quick freight also. 

How's your experience with Rockauto been? I have honestly never used them. They are very popular in the US, but I feel a weird loyalty to FCP Euro.

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, Gabe79 said:

How's your experience with Rockauto been? I have honestly never used them. They are very popular in the US, but I feel a weird loyalty to FCP Euro.

I have only usee them a couple of times and have been happy. 

I have mates that have rebuilt cars almost exclusively from rock auto. 

I also know of a brake and clutch shop that buys caliper rebuild kits for stock from there.