Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

Windscreen glass restore

Washing the 6-er this morning I noticed the windscreen was looking rather tired. Water spots all over and the entire surface was dull. The wiper area was a tad better but it was all rather sad looking. 

After a quick search on Google I used the following to restore the windscreen: Meguiar's SkratchX 2.0 and some steel wool. 

Now, it's difficult to show just how bloody effective it is but believe me, the windscreen looks good as new. Firm circular motions all across the windscreen and a good clean afterwards and finish off with a layer of RainX. 

Off topic: Moving inside the house I figured it might work on shower glass too and yup, it does. Shower glass is good as new now after several unsuccessful attempts with shower witch and other chemical cleaners. 

• Like 3

Always good to hear first hand experiences, my glass needs some attention too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, kwhelan said:

what grade of steel wool

The kind you buy at New World. Just regular old steel wool...

Do you even need Meguiar's SkratchX 2.0  if you're using a regular steel wool?... I mean you can quite happily use some Jiff for a fraction of the price :D 

Haven't been ballsy enough to use steel wool, but I fully restored six panels of custom glass worth $250K each that had been damaged by acid rain using 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound on the end of a De Walt buffer @1500rpm. Followed by 3M Machine Polish, then Ultrafine.

Making this car related, I used the same method to remove concrete stains from my old man's Merc windows.

Edited by rarerimresource
  • Like 1