Sign in to follow this  
treone

Tired X3

Get a receipt for the ‘new’ gearbox then you wont lose money if its junk and you part it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andrewm said:

Get a receipt for the ‘new’ gearbox then you wont lose money if its junk and you part it. 

"new"

• Haha 2

It's very incongruous this "regularly serviced" and "engine light is on unknown to me why".

If your car is regularly serviced, you have a relationship with a workshop, or at least the practice of taking it to a workshop.

It's had 8 owners.

It's an early one so will be M54 powered.  Likely the standard M54 stuff like oil leaks and PCV systemvacuum leaks... and was it a secondhand gearbox, recond, or really new? 

And nope, that price is not negotiable.  Yet they ticked "or near offer" box.  ?

Plus, the seller has no feedback... thre sort of thing someone might do if they didn't want a feedback stain on their solid account?

It could be a cheap X3, but could also turn out to be thrashed, tired, with $5k worth of remedial maintenance.

For $7-8k you can get a tidy low-kms example, I think you're better off in that direction.  

• Like 2

People think that taking a car for a 1 yearly wof and getting new wiper blades and a headlight bulb = regularly serviced.

end of story.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

^^this

Plus this X3 is a 6-cylinder petrol version that drinks like grandad at happy hour.

Save a few more $$$ and find a better condition diesel version. This one is a money pit if ever I saw one.

• Like 2

Im liking the replies and they're so true! Some good sound advice and observations coming out!

For clarity im not, and never was, contemplating purchasing this - i agree in that this is most likely a money pit and you would be better off paying extra for a 'good one' i you were in te market

I now have a car buying strategy that im going to be sticking to and an X3 isnt included haha

• Like 1

I always assume people that like the x3 haven't had the misfortune of driving one 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

I always assume people that like the x3 have had the fortune of owning a manual petrol one 

comment fixed ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, treone said:

comment fixed ?

I looked at a few and drove a few when I was looking for a new wagon but went with the manual e53 instead.

Small penis I guess 

Edited by dirtydoogle

5 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

I looked at a few and drove a few when I was looking for a new wagon but went with the manual e53 instead.

Small penis I guess 

I like the X3 but I'm a huge fan of the X5! Would jump at the chance to own a manual one but seems they are more common in the diesels. I don't have the kahunas for a diesel. Yet ?

Enjoyed the manual X3 for 3 years and found it a capable round town hack. But nothing spectacular. The X5 was a great long distance cruiser and ate the miles with no problems!

Would only get another X3 for a fishing slash dog wagon ?. But I wont be... haha

Edited by treone
  • Like 1

Admittedly I'd probably own an x3 3.0d twin turbo jobbie if I didn't find the x5 ;)