Sign in to follow this  
zero

Castrol Edge less than half price at Supacheap

As the title says, Castrol edge 5w30 is $45.49 for 5litres at the moment

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/castrol-castrol-edge-engine-oil---5w-30-5-litre/299206.html?cgid=catalogue-onsale#segment=1&page=1

They seem to do this once a year, and I stock up.

I don't work for Supacheap.

• Like 4

Yeah that’s a good price. Quite often on special, but not with that much discount.

I can get it a bit cheaper any day of the week in case anyone misses out let me know :)

Honest question... why would  I want this over my HPR5? (aside from qube's discount!)

1 hour ago, qube said:

I can get it a bit cheaper any day of the week in case anyone misses out let me know :)

Can you get 0W-30 as well? I am assuming that's what I need for a 640D (N57)?

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Honest question... why would  I want this over my HPR5? (aside from qube's discount!)

HPR5 very good oil and good price. 

Meets bmw ll01 standard and it probably doesnt burn as much as edge. 

I use edge because im used to it and it hasnt caused any problems for me. 

2 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Can you get 0W-30 as well? I am assuming that's what I need for a 640D (N57)?

Confirm and let me know and i can find out! Comes in boxes of 3 bottles usually which isnt a problem for bmw guys. It does 2 changes and top ups

• Thanks 1

Fair enough. I am happy with HPR5, will stick with it until I run out and come hassle you for your discount. :)

• Like 1

Alright, looks like either 0W-30 or 5W-30 will be just fine. The problem is that it has to be BMW LL-4 (C3) rated and majority of them are LL-1 only, any suggestions? 

Repco also has oil sales starting today for the next 5 days... up to 30% off.

@sobanoodle: unless your manual or dealer says to use 0W then I wouldn't, it's unnecessary in our climate, even in the deep south. A 20W is probably perfect for Auckland but they're few and far between.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Alright, looks like either 0W-30 or 5W-30 will be just fine. The problem is that it has to be BMW LL-4 (C3) rated and majority of them are LL-1 only, any suggestions? 

5w30 is the correct oil for your car and all modern Bmws expect for the M cars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

5w30 is the correct oil for your car and all modern Bmws expect for the M cars

Do I need to pay much attention to LL-4 vs LL-1? 

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

@sobanoodle: unless your manual or dealer says to use 0W then I wouldn't, it's unnecessary in our climate, even in the deep south. A 20W is probably perfect for Auckland but they're few and far between.

Yep figured that out already.

^short answer is no. and if you stick with castrol edge 5w30 you are going to be A-OK.

A bit more hijacking sorry.

Where do you get your oil filters from? And air filters? eBay or locally? 

6 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Do I need to pay much attention to LL-4 vs LL-1?

LL04 is designed for diesels as it is low ash output

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

LL04 is designed for diesels as it is low ash output

The more I read about this the more I am getting confused.

This thread in particular and low/high sulphur comments. From what I can see NZ diesel is low sulphur. 

@sobanoodle yes - we're 10ppm sulfur for diesel and petrol since mid 2017. basically equivalent to Europe. Australia still allowed 150ppm in 91 atm. Also, unless you're tracking your diesel, 5000k oil change interval is way OTT.

Edited by balancerider

On 2/3/2019 at 12:07 PM, balancerider said:

yes - we're 10ppm sulfur for diesel and petrol since mid 2017. basically equivalent to Europe. Australia still allowed 150ppm in 91 atm. 

Which means LL-1 can be used?.. What oil are you using as we have similar engines?

Not that keen on paying $500+ for an oil change at my local dealership :)  

On 2/3/2019 at 12:07 PM, balancerider said:

Also, unless you're tracking your diesel, 5000k oil change interval is way OTT.

Not that I was going to follow that advice anyway (N54 crowd mind you). 

I'm the fool paying dealer prices for my oil change! My first change (last year) was ~$350 from Coombes Johnston. I am intending to keep the car for a while but I like having the electronic service record updated and I haven't found any indies to do that here in Wellington. 

27 minutes ago, balancerider said:

~$350 from Coombes Johnston

I could certainly live with that and save myself a bit of time...

Got quoted nearly $1,100 for a vehicle check/oil change/microfilter replacement.  I have addressed the last one with a set of genuine filters for $70 and 20min of my time, saving a few hundreds.

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

I like having the electronic service record updated and I haven't found any indies to do that here in Wellington. 

I have no issues updating service records in iDrive's service menu , will go under 00000 rather than xxxxxx BMW (i.e dealership).

59 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Yeah the microfilter is absurdly expensive ($150 + GST) for a part that costs $20 USD on ebay.

Do 3er have one microfilter or two? 

I promise I am not trying to start a troll war.

Is Castrol Edge better than HPR5? I would be happy with "They're about the same" not least since I have heaps of HPR5 in the garage right now... Just curious about this. 

"Better?" It's a religious thing.

Any reputable brand of the correct type and viscosity will be "suitable". This is underwritten by the fact that vehicle manufacturers change their oil brand allegiance as it suits them.

In the early 2000's after the bearing failures in e46 M3's, BMW said "you must use Castrol Edge 10w-60" and so people did. But (some) people also went to stupid lengths to get the stuff that BMW dispensed rather than what you could buy off the shelf. These people declared "there is no alternative, your children will die if you use something else" and the belief in unicorn piss oil persisted. Then BMW simply changed their oil partner and now fill those same cars up with Shell 10w-60 without blinking an eye... totally undermining the "only one brand/type" argument.

My engine oil cap says "use Castrol" yet BMW will fill it up with Shell...

But for those that prefer to use Castrol then 50% off normal retail is a good deal regardless of why they want to use it (as would be 50% of Penrite). I use Castrol Edge in the M3 because that's what it has always had and I'm happy with it. I intend to use Penrite in the 130 as I did in the 128 because I have no problem with the quality of HPR5.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2