Sign in to follow this  
krisby

BMW 120i new member

ITs the wifes actually, although I've an E39 528i, E34 525i in the past as well. Always enjoyed tinkering and never had a major issue. But the 120i is now proving very painful and I am getting fed up chasing OBD codes. 

Personally I drive a Passat 3.2 4motion and a Pug 407 SW 2.7Hdi.

Welcome,

E87 120i hatch? not known to be the most reliable 4cyl engine, may leak engine oil out the side after a certain number of kms so you will need to keep a close eye on the maintenance, perishables and consumables etc.

15 minutes ago, qube said:

not known to be the most reliable 4cyl engine

Which one is? 

(genuine question - I've not a clue which 4/6/8 is the most reliable? Aside from linking complexity to reliability).

All the Mxx series 4 cyl engines are generally reliable expect for the M40. M10 followed by the M43 are easiest to work on.

The M40 is still a much better and reliable motor than any of the NXX series 4 cylinders. My old E30 M40 did over 80k before I sold it after I rebuilt it when the previous owner broke the cambelt. The diesels N series 4 cylinder also give good service

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 2

Its got the N46B20, which I don't think was meant to be too bad. I know the timing chain issues were largely on the N47, hence I am a bit peed off the wifes is making a noise. No engine leaks thankfully, did have a radiator leak but had that replaced last year for less than $600.