Sign in to follow this  
qube

BMW M5 Alpina B10 V8 1999

I mean its kind of cool and rare but 50k? yeah nah..

and it aint an M5 either, just a jazzed up 540i right?

very nicely photographed to not show the auto/tiptronic shifter too :)

964526921.jpg

964526871.jpg

964526968.jpg

964526981.jpg

964527059.jpg

964527078.jpg

964527385.jpg

Offered Here is a very Rare BMW B10 Alpina 4.6 V8 Right hand drive in outstanding original condition , Unmarked Alpina Striping , And the interior is also immaculate . This car needs to be seen . Number 547 of the build , With the prices of collector BMWs going skyward ,This is a Great useable Classic car . This car was sold new in Japan and here in Christchurch now . 
Classic Car 

Magnum Prestige 
354 St Asaph St 
Christchurch Central 
Appointments advised for Viewing as I am not always there . 
M/B 0274334404

• Like 1

Not classic and not even nice.  A late 540i msport is nicer.

• Like 1

I like it.
I don't $50k like it at all.

Colour code a 540i, add wheels and suspension and have change from 25k?

Both the alpina V8 and V8s engines were less powerful than the s62 in the M5 anyway, and they didnt rev as high.

M5 for me.

Not to mention the E34 B10 turbo is 10 years older and still beats it.

And the M5 is so much more fun ?

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. I quite like the interior trim and style. 

340hp and 470nm apparently so would give a 540i motorsport a slight beating.

But for 48k you could buy a nice 540i for 40k less and spend a bit on it, so unless you wanted the exclusivity of this model the price doesn't make any sense, especially against 25-40k for a manual M5 that is much faster (and only approx 50 units in NZ) 

• Like 2

I personally think it is very cool. The rear spoiler ‘spoils’ the design aesthetics a little (unlike the E34), but love the decals and interior design that makes it an Alpina. Agreed, the price is not in sync with the Kiwi market, but I bet there must be less than a handful of these in NZ. I still recall driving a friend’s 300,000 km E34 Alpina B10. Handled incredibly and it’s appearance defied its mileage. Great cars- these Alpina’s! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0XLDn6w8A.       Check this German clip- comparing this Alpina to an E39 M5. 

• Like 1

That's quite some appreciation considering I nearly imported one for $11,700 landed about 10 years ago with 80km on the clock.

interesting comparison to the following E60 generation, the E39 M5 IMO is more desirable (especially with manual box) but given the reputation of the V10, i think I'd rather have the supercharged V8 in the E60 B5. 

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

interesting comparison to the folloiting E60 generation, the E39 M5 IMO is more desirable (especially with manual box) but given the reputation of the V10, i think I'd rather have the supercharged V8 in the E60 B5. 

The V8 has a worse reputation than the V10, then they supercharged It......no thanks!

• Like 1

Same situation as the E39. The E60 Alpina was nothing on the M5.  I feel like only the E34 B10 was any good.

Even current Alpina is a bit naff.

16 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Same situation as the E39. The E60 Alpina was nothing on the M5.  I feel like only the E34 B10 was any good.

Even current Alpina is a bit naff.

For those of us who don't mind diesel and / or tourings, they're a godsend (still hoping G81 M3 touring might be a thing)

I think Alpina cars look tacky and they are almost always autos. Look at the horrendous E36 one on trademe

On 2/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, aja540i said:

The V8 has a worse reputation than the V10, then they supercharged It......no thanks!

How do you reconcile that?

S85:  Rod Bearings, Vanos Pump, Crank/block (if clutch not replaced in time), etc etc - all catastrophic failures.

N62:  Valve stem seals (smokey), oil leaks, water leaks.  Nothing catastrophic, just moderately expensive to fix.

Don't get me wrong, neither are welcome "service features", but "worse reputation"?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

How do you reconcile that?

S85:  Rod Bearings, Vanos Pump, Crank/block (if clutch not replaced in time), etc etc - all catastrophic failures.

N62:  Valve stem seals (smokey), oil leaks, water leaks.  Nothing catastrophic, just moderately expensive to fix.

Don't get me wrong, neither are welcome "service features", but "worse reputation"?

OK, worse reputation might be a bit overboard, but that V8 should be bulletproof and it just isn't, if i am going to have to do an expensive rebuild every 100,000 km then i would much rather spend my money on the V10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

OK, worse reputation might be a bit overboard, but that V8 should be bulletproof and it just isn't, if i am going to have to do an expensive rebuild every 100,000 km then i would much rather spend my money on the V10.

I can't argue with that!  ?

14 hours ago, Blackie said:

I think Alpina cars look tacky and they are almost always autos. Look at the horrendous E36 one on trademe

Alpina are targeted for rapid transport and a more luxurious feel then the std BMW models which are more sports focused. That’s their target market, agree the older ones in the small models do look a bit tacky. They are best in B5 and B7s when they make more sense. 

Would loose a left arm for a B12 E38.

In saying all that the newer D3s are pretty nice.

• Like 1

Interesting thread gents.  It's an ultimate Q/car in my book.

This B10 finally arrived up my drive 30/09/21, 2years until the dealer finally cut his losses & let it go, seeing sense an agreeing to a price starting with a 2... since imported 12/12/18 it's travelled '5' kms in total.  Full service history, Alpina wallet, handbook etc. 

Stats below that might be of interest or not: 

ENGINE/GEARBOX

The B10 V8 is based on the BMW 540i, which has a 286 bhp, 4.4 litre V8 engine. As the BMW V8 engine has Nicasil (later Alusil) coated bores, the block can’t just be over-bored, a whole new block needs to be cast for Alpina by BMW with the displacement increased to 4.6 litre. Alpina have also made other changes to the engine such as a new crankshaft, more aggressive camshafts, hand-fettled ports, lighter higher-compression Mahle pistons and reprogrammed the Motronic system. The result is 340 bhp (254kw) and 470 Nm of torque at 3800 rpm, 100 rpm lower than standard. From 1999 onwards the engine produces 347 bhp (probably more if you look at the much improved performance figures) and a torque of 480 Nm. The B10 V8 has a ZF 5-speed automatic gearbox with the steering wheel mounted Switch-Tronic system as standard.

SUSPENSION/BRAKES/WHEELS

The B10 V8 has twin-tube gas pressure shock absorbers at both front and rear. It also has new anti-roll bars. The brake discs are ventilated all around and have floating calipers. The Alpina alloys are 18″ with 235/40 tires at front and 265/35 at rear. Michelin tires of course. Optionally available were 19″ wheels.

8EC72353-DC17-480E-8BD3-B32FFFEE5E75.jpeg

A33AB27C-F648-4A61-9094-3C6EA175AA74.jpeg

11EECD84-1A16-484F-AFF7-9FABC21AC79E.jpeg

8C7E0502-B9A3-4F2D-B66C-17115717AD6F.jpeg

7009DB9C-62DF-4A22-9155-405A2DA40010.jpeg

145E5643-BF12-4657-808B-3235684E61A2.jpeg

8786C9BC-88C0-4FBB-8EFD-07735B523A92.jpeg

Edited by JonRP
  • Like 16

Awesome Jon you must be very happy.

The Aplina cast block is what gets me, I wonder if there is more information about it.

Is it a M62 block design but just improved to meet their specs for 4.6L, does the same supplier of BMW make it? Are these blocks only used in E39 B10 cars? 

Such a special step you don't hear about too often, talk about an expensive way to increase performance haha. Very cool either way. 

• Like 1

Very nice @JonRP. Alpina Blue and Alpina Green are such special colours. The Japan spec bootlid and front plate mount are the only thing that I would change if it were mine but appreciate you may wish to preserve the originality. Cloth sport seats are cool. 

I must confess I've been looking at the touring versions of these but as they're all UK market cars they'll probably all be rusty by now (unlike this one I assume)

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-bmw-alpina-e39-b10-v8s-touring

Edited by balancerider
  • Like 1