M3AN

Wow - BMW E36 (328i) B3 (3.2l) Alpina 1998

Now this is something you don't see every day!

I'd have to be convinced on the price, it's difficult to tell if it's realistic compared to say, an M3... opinions?

And oh those additional VDO digital cluster gauges are fuxing awesome! 🤘

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1935054772.htm

961350670.jpg

Also no.  An M3 blows it away.

Took me awhile it notice it was auto. Suppose its quite unique but that's dont think its enough to overcome price and performance an average M3

There was a reason they only built 70 odd of them... not many people want to pay more for an auto 328i even if it is a ‘pina.

• Like 1

Yeah, the auto disappointed me too... :(

Does anybody know how these were acquired? Did you buy a new BMW and send it to Alpina or did you wander into an Alpina showroom and pick from there?

• Like 1

Rather cool, but I dont see the appeal for 40k.

What are the specs on that 3.2 engine, is it just a 2.8 head on a bored / stroked M52B28 block? 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Yeah, the auto disappointed me too... :(

Does anybody know how these were acquired? Did you buy a new BMW and send it to Alpina or did you wander into an Alpina showroom and pick from there?

Built to order as I understand it. The engine has special internals, suspension set up different. The current ones gave two VINs, a bmw one they leave the factory with then that gets crossed out and an Alpina one stamped on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the very early days of Alpina, Hartge, Schnitzer, etc. I think you could do it either way - order your car from BMW, then send it to the approved converter which could have been the Alpina factory or certain local dealerships, or order it as a finished unit straight from the Alpina factory.

Then as things like emissions testing, and safety certification, crash testing, etc. started to become more of a regulatory focus the ability to convert the car later on was made too difficult so the cars could only be converted at the Alpina factory. This being an E36 I would say this would be in the later time bracket, and only available ex-Alpina factory.

In the UK and most larger markets there are Alpina dealers, that specifically sell them alongside the normal range of BMW models. I believe they have just re-introduced the Alpina models into Australia and a few dealers there are starting to offer their current range.

• Thanks 1

A stock msport looks better imo. The lower spoiler reminds me of an E21. Why on earth did so much Alpina stuff get done to autos?