Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

Micks Garage 20% off TODAY - Waitangi Day

awesome!  thanks for the heads-up, Allan!

8 minutes ago, qube said:

What’s good to buy from here?

Brake rotors, at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qube said:

With Shipping from ireland?

$40NZD flat fee for shipping.

EDIT: This is why, and what I buy from them, anyway. 

Edited by Gabe79

2 minutes ago, qube said:

With Shipping from ireland?

yep.  Flat rate, $39 DHL.  Here in 5 days, prices in NZD.

I've been looking at e30 suspension bits though, all cheaper from FCP and better quality.

1 minute ago, Olaf said:

yep.  Flat rate, $39 DHL.  Here in 5 days, prices in NZD.

I've been looking at e30 suspension bits though, all cheaper from FCP and better quality.

Yeah, you can buy brembo rotors from Mick's though... I bought rotors from Mick's, and everything else from FCP Euro.

• Like 1

Anyone from Auckland placing an order? Need a couple of filters but don't want to pay $40 for shipping :)

8 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Anyone from Auckland placing an order? Need a couple of filters but don't want to pay $40 for shipping :)

Compared prices to FCP Euro?

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a clutch and flywheel kit for my 320d only $690 delivered. Would be easy twice that in nz

• Like 1

I also always used fcp. Planning to order some filters and gaskets and fcp shipping was about 40usd. 

Happy to combine it on micks if i can find everything i need. Soba? Pm me what u want and ill see if i can add it up 

1 hour ago, qube said:

Happy to combine it on micks if i can find everything i need. Soba? Pm me what u want and ill see if i can add it up 

Will do in the arvo, namely a couple of filters as I do not really need anything else. Maybe a set of wipers depending on what they have there.

Kind of lean towards genuine after reading a couple of reviews on Bosch etc.

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Compared prices to FCP Euro?

Nope, cheaper (with shipping costs factored in)?

To be honest I mainly look on ebay for smaller bits and pieces (genuine products).

$265 delivered for brembo rear rotors and brembo pads for X3. Nice. 

• Like 1

just had a look but their prices are not cheaper than FCP for filters, and they dont have in stock the gaskets I need.

eg: mann oil filter - 6.99USD at FCP which is 10 NZD

same filter is 18.68 NZD on micks, 15 NZD after the 20% off

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, qube said:

just had a look but their prices are not cheaper than FCP for filters, and they dont have in stock the gaskets I need.

eg: mann oil filter - 6.99USD at FCP which is 10 NZD

same filter is 18.68 NZD on micks, 15 NZD after the 20% off

Rotors man, that's the ticket. :) The benefit really is the shipping, so it has to be big heavy things FCP/DHL charge 3 limbs for.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, sobanoodle said:

@sobanoodle I'll probably be placing an order for rotors/ pads for mine. (just doing a bit of DD on the parts first!)  happy to add your order to it if you like?

Also, when did you get the BMW? I thought you'd still be team Subi! (im-a-bus on clubsub) 

Edited by Azukamii
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, andrewm said:

$265 delivered for brembo rear rotors and brembo pads for X3. Nice. 

I know Brembo used to be a real premium brand in the aftermarket brakes, but wasn't the company recently bought out by a Chinese company and most of their products manufacturing moved there? Not necessarily a bad thing, but will be interesting to see if there is any impact on the standard of the products.

From what I understand, only the real high-end racing stuff is still made in Italy (again not sure if that is a good thing!!) with the rest of it either moved, or moving to China.

Would be interesting to see how you get on with your new set-up over the next few years, performance, wear, etc.

2 hours ago, Azukamii said:

Also, when did you get the BMW? I thought you'd still be team Subi! (im-a-bus on clubsub) 

Haha spotted you awhile back, thought you were more of JDM type of person :D

I'm on my second beemah now, reckon I've had enough of subs for now at least. 

Flick me a PM if/when you decide to place an order. 

1 hour ago, sobanoodle said:

Haha spotted you awhile back, thought you were more of JDM type of person :D

I'm on my second beemah now, reckon I've had enough of subs for now at least. 

I like to think I've grown up and become more civilized, when in reality the M3 was just a really great placeholder till I can afford the elusive "budget" dream car.
Key word there being WAS. Can't see myself without that red German now!!

I'll fire you a PM :) assuming the deal is still on i'll most likely place an order tonight

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I know Brembo used to be a real premium brand in the aftermarket brakes, but wasn't the company recently bought out by a Chinese company and most of their products manufacturing moved there? Not necessarily a bad thing, but will be interesting to see if there is any impact on the standard of the products.

From what I understand, only the real high-end racing stuff is still made in Italy (again not sure if that is a good thing!!) with the rest of it either moved, or moving to China.

Would be interesting to see how you get on with your new set-up over the next few years, performance, wear, etc.

I am of the opinion that for daily driving, all one piece brake rotor iron is equal. Atleast these rotors have the hubs coated so they dont rust.

If the rotor is softer the pads last longer and vice versa.

My wife got 80,000km out of the last set of brembo pads and brembo rotors, the rotors had probably another 40,000km till wear limit reached but i changed them anyway. 

• Like 1

Totally agree, as long as the rotors are not made out of chocolate then for a daily driver they are pretty much equal so price would be the only factory. I do tend to always go for a known brand name - i.e. TRW, Brembo, etc. just to avoid the possibility of getting the chocolate variety.

It looks like I had it around the wrong way, Brembo bought the controlling share of a Chinese brake maker, to supply into the Chinese market and in particular the Western manufacturers no building their cars in China.

80,000 out of a set of pads is pretty good going. I wish my missus was a gentle on the pedals as that!!

48 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Totally agree, as long as the rotors are not made out of chocolate then for a daily driver they are pretty much equal so price would be the only factory. I do tend to always go for a known brand name - i.e. TRW, Brembo, etc. just to avoid the possibility of getting the chocolate variety.

It looks like I had it around the wrong way, Brembo bought the controlling share of a Chinese brake maker, to supply into the Chinese market and in particular the Western manufacturers no building their cars in China.

80,000 out of a set of pads is pretty good going. I wish my missus was a gentle on the pedals as that!!

Taking the above to be basically correct... Repco trade discount rotors cost very near the same as Mick's Garage, give or take $25NZD. If you have access to a trade account, that is...

EDIT: For Mintex this was true. For Brembo the gap was a bit larger, but if you get hit with duties at import time... local prices can compete.

Edited by Gabe79

59 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The Brembo rotors we were using in the race series were utter sh*t.  Stopped buying that stuff long ago.  They were no better than those shitty $12 rotors I was using that only lasted one weekend.  Brembo ones kept cracking.

Wasn't that because they were slotted though Dan?

Funnily enough the best rotors I found for the E30 were the cheap chinese one's that Paul Olson brought in - $100 for a pair, nice and soft so plenty of bite from a good hard pad, but not too soft that they fell apart.:D

• Like 1