Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Tyre sizes for 16s

Hi all. I'm running 225/55/16 all round on staggered rear 16x8 front16x7 basketweaves . I see the recommended size conversion but have read 225/50/16 is a better size and closer to original diameter. For speed which is out a little.

Any one with knowledge would be great. 

Going for Bridgestone re003 as I've run them for years and cant find fault great tyre but open to try equivalents.

Any advice would be great 

Cheers

225/55 the standard size for the E39 16x7 wheel. If you are running staggered why don't you go larger on the rear. Can't say ive heard of staggered basket weaves myself. Are they made up from BMW OEM wheel sets?

Personally id recommend  Michellin PS4's over the RE003 as they perform much better, but looking at Hyperdrive they only do PS3's @ $214ea on sale atm (ive used them also and id still take them over the 003's)

post-3366-0-90823200-1463950991_thumb.jpgHi. 

Yes Oem alloys. Off a e38 e39. 16x8 to wide for the front. Use locator rings on 16x7. 

Have you had a set of each re003s, ps4s. Will have a look. 

Edited by kiwi6539

Yes ive tried most of the RE and PS range in 17" sizes on E34's and E39's over the years. 17x8" are the ideal E34 wheel in my book - look good, cheapest tyres and give a good handling\comfort balance. 

Getting harder and more expensive to get good selection in those 16" tyre sizes so you may have to stick to RE003 or try PS3's as PS4's may not be available

I am going for re003s. Got a good quote deal etc. I'm like the look keeping in era of the car. I have some 17s m5 replicas as spare for if when it get ridiculous to buy 16s

It's for my daily so the wear rate was factor.  Semi rural too bumby road. 

Cheers for advice 

The 225/55r16 is a better looking tyre by far. Every time i have gone with 225/50 i have regretted it.