Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

M54B30 Oil Info

Supp ya'll, so i been looking around the interweb for some info on what oil is best to use for an E46 330ci, with 260,000km?
The engine will soon be rebuilt with stock internals and a HD head gasket, possibly 1000cc injectors and a turbo. Ive been using Mobil 1 and Castro Edge in the 540 for a while with no issues.

Ive used Penrite HPR 5, HPR 10 or Castrol Edge Titanium depending on what on special in my 530i

Wont be going near Penrite again, they quite often prescribe the wrong oils haha But Castrol Edge seems to be pretty good. Just wondering if it will be turbo worthy tho..

Cant speak for a turbo application part but lots members here running the above Penrite in many BMW engines with good results. Ive used in most BMW's ive owned and can't fault it.

• Like 1

The Penrite Brigade is well staffed around here. I use HPR5 myself. 

Now, when my HPR5 runs out... I hear @qubehas a specially rigged keg at his house that dispenses Castrol Edge, and I might swith to his brew.

Its not so much the Oil that i fault, rather the shity recommendation stations they have at Repco that recommend the wrong grade. Both the E30 and E39 had to be drained and re serviced due to the stations giving the wrong oil recommendations. My brother, who is a vendor relationship manager at Repco, is dealing with a few small claims from Repco customers buying Penrite. For example, they recommend 10w-60 for a 318i and 0w-50 for a 540i. where as Castrol recommends 10w-40 for the 318i and 20w-50 for the 540i. 

HOWEVER, In saying that, the E36 ran sweet with the correct Penrite oil that another member here recommended. I guess it comes down to knowledge of the type of oil and brand for each engine. I just dont want to have to fork out double again for oil. So hence the original question ?

4 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

The Penrite Brigade is well staffed around here. I use HPR5 myself. 

Now, when my HPR5 runs out... I hear @qubehas a specially rigged keg at his house that dispenses Castrol Edge, and I might swith to his brew.

Ah yea? He failed to mention that when I was there a couple weeks back.

1 hour ago, francoisv said:

For example, they recommend 10w-60 for a 318i and 0w-50 for a 540i. where as Castrol recommends 10w-40 for the 318i and 20w-50 for the 540i. 

this is just wrong.

1 hour ago, francoisv said:

Ah yea? He failed to mention that when I was there a couple weeks back.

it only came up a few days ago when someone posted a repco or super cheap sale for edge :)

you have my contact francois.

I wouldnt run 0-50W either but it would be much better than 20W-50 (must be a mistake)  

The correct oil for a E46 330ci is any well branded full synthetic 5w30

1 minute ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

The correct oil for a E46 330ci is any well branded full synthetic 5w30

thanks Glenn, even at 260,000km?

If the motors knackered it wouldn't matter what you used, but that is the correct oil to use for this model of vehicle in good mechanical condition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

If the motors knackered it wouldn't matter what you used, but that is the correct oil to use for this model of vehicle in good mechanical condition.

Thanks, the engine is in great condition for its age and mileage, 12 years of service history until 2017. Oil is pretty black now so will need a decent service i think. Ill try the 5w30 and see how we go. Thanks 

Use a genuine oil filter as  well

10 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Use a genuine oil filter as  well

Who sells the genuine filters in nz apart from the dealer?

Bm Workshop Auck, CH CH and most Independent repairers 

21 hours ago, francoisv said:

Its not so much the Oil that i fault, rather the shity recommendation stations they have at Repco that recommend the wrong grade. Both the E30 and E39 had to be drained and re serviced due to the stations giving the wrong oil recommendations. My brother, who is a vendor relationship manager at Repco, is dealing with a few small claims from Repco customers buying Penrite. For example, they recommend 10w-60 for a 318i and 0w-50 for a 540i. where as Castrol recommends 10w-40 for the 318i and 20w-50 for the 540i. 

HOWEVER, In saying that, the E36 ran sweet with the correct Penrite oil that another member here recommended. I guess it comes down to knowledge of the type of oil and brand for each engine. I just dont want to have to fork out double again for oil. So hence the original question ?

As Qube mentioned what you are saying is totally wrong.

The Penrite website 540i E60 it says 5W40 or 0W40.  I CBF going down to Repco just to check but I'm pretty sure the info will be the same.

Edit:L I just checked Repco's website and it says a 540i E60 2006 the only Penrite oil that fits is HPR5 5W40.  For Castrol the Repco website says 5W30, 5W40 and 0W40 are suitable.  So Repco's website is specifically recommending the right oil.

Edited by GorGasm

1 minute ago, GorGasm said:

As Qube mentioned what you are saying is totally wrong.

The Penrite website 540i E60 it says 5W40 or 0W40.  I CBF going down to Repco just to check but I'm pretty sure the info will be the same.

Edit:L I just checked Repco's website and it says a 540i E60 2006 the only Penrite oil that fits is HPR5 5W40.  For Castrol the Repco website says 5W30, 5W40 and 0W40 are suitable.

Read my post again... I never said anything about their website, i said their stations within Repco. But thanks for taking the time out, of what must be a busy schedule, to investigate and point that all out

Went to Repco today and checked the Penrite stand.  It has the same recommendation as the Penrite website that I mentioned above.

I have no idea what you were looking at in Repco.

Edited by GorGasm