Sign in to follow this  
Danch

E87 130i - How is it as a daily?

Hi guys, 

I'm new to both this forum and BMW. I'm thinking of buying a 130i (manual) for my daily.

I think this topic has been covered and I've done some searches but I wish to hear more from current/past owners of 130i in NZ.

I drive 60km a day in traffic (back and forth from North Shore to East Tamaki) and I occasionally go out for spirited driving in the weekends. The reason why I want to get 130i is because I want so get something that's more fun to drive but reasonably reliable and safe to replace my current daily (Honda CR-Z with CVT transmission).

Originally 130i wasn't on my list but after a test drive, the engine sound just got me!

How's 130i as a daily? Is fuel consumption as bad as some say (12+)? I see from https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/search.html and fuelly.com that it'll be around 9~11L/100km. My current car is doing 6L/100km so I do expect to pay some(much) more for petrol. Should I also consider E90 330i?

Thanks in advance for your comments :)

• Like 1

From the sound of things, it seems like the 130i is a perfect car for your purpose.

it is way way way better than an E90 330i.

previously owned a 130i myself in auto and it was awesome. the engine sound is to die for and if you are going for a manual, you will have a very fun time.

fuel economy is not wonderful but its not horrible, doing long distance helps a lot but enjoy it for what it is, a fantastic 6 pot engine in a nice chassis that is awesome in windy roads as well as daily.

If anything, the ride is a bit stiff, suspension rides hard, get some better tyres and a call out service for flats since theres no spare and you will be fine.

I've got an e81(3 door) 130i, haven't had it long nor driven it more than 500kms, of mostly heavy right foot driving testing it out. It's a lot of fun, comfortable and quiet plus spins the tyres when you really want to ? My average fuel economy is around 10L/100km under what I would consider heavy usage. 

I see 6-7L/100km when driving on the motorway. So it's a pretty economical motor when driving normally. My car is not on run flat's either which may influence fuel figures and definitely influences ride quality/handling. The 130i rides way better than my e90 325i which was on RFTs and handles/drives much better too. They're like a grown up go kart that is comfortable to be in.

As someone who looked for a while before buying and test drove a couple,  I'd suggest the LCI model which is post March 2007 production. Much better interior and more fuel efficient than the earlier models. Mines a MSport which imo looks miles better than the base model, but they do have a stiffer suspension set up. I don't have any issues with it but something to be aware of when you're looking. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

agree on the LCI, mine was 2010 and its much nicer than the pre LCI. also you get the nicer CIC idrive instead of the flip up screen.

Im pretty sure almost all 130i are msport

Ive done 100,000+ km in my manual 130, its now at 250,000+ km... averages 8.5l/100 km and is on its 5th set of tyres by me :D (thats about 10k.. in tyres :D )

It has broken down a total of never times.

Look after them, feed them good oil, and fix things before they break (like oil leaks and belts etc) and you'll be golden. 

LCIs have some have minor improvements (unloading alternators etc) for fuel economy, but its very minor, but also lost the hydraulic steering of the pre LCIs, so its not all win. LCI's have a better interior, but, again, its not major differences and if your dead set on the LCI interior its a straight swap to update (my 130s pre LCI with LCI interior).

AFAIK all NZ new 130s are Msport, most Japanese imports are

Edited by Jacko

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

but also lost the hydraulic steering of the pre LCIs, so its not all win. 

can you elaborate on this? I didnt know that the E87 LCI was electric steering??

1 hour ago, qube said:

can you elaborate on this? I didnt know that the E87 LCI was electric steering??

Apparently, BMW changed the steering to electric with E87 LCI. This took out the need for running the hydraulic pump for steering, hence a slight fuel saving effect.

• Like 1

We bought a 2009 130i for the wife 5 months ago to replace her completely terrible in every single way E90 320i. It's such a fun car, we bloody love it. We took it on a trip to Wellington and I grinned the whole way down and back. The sound of it over 3000 rpm is most arousing. It handles like no 5 series I've ever owned and OMG the sound.

Make sure you get the LCI though, get the motorsport, the auto is great, the manual would probably be pretty good too. Ignore anyone that talks about fuel economy, they are boring people. Who cares how much fuel it uses? It's there to burn, burn it. But the wife's long time average is 9.8l/100km, but so what? I think we got to Wellie and back on 7.8l/100km or thereabouts. Except for that part in the Desert Road where it was over 35l/100km. 

I prefer driving her 130i over my E60 540i by a long, long way, so that's what we use in the weekends. Yeah, the 540 is very comfortable (so comfortable) and quiet and fast and smooth and has all the things (comfort access, adaptive headlights and active steering etc) but it isn't fun like the 130i. The 540 will be replaced in December when its warranty runs out and I can't freakin wait. 

Buy the 130. There will be no regrets.

Edited by Spudooli
Can or can't. Can't!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danch said:

Apparently, BMW changed the steering to electric with E87 LCI. This took out the need for running the hydraulic pump for steering, hence a slight fuel saving effect.

^ What he said, less fuel, but less steering feels as well. 

There is actually a car magazine article (from memory it was a US mag, that didnt get 130s, but the guy was so amped about trying the 130s on the track he wrote an article on it), one was auto/manual and lci/pre lci, was interesting... and I cant find it anymore :D 

I need more info on the steering thing. Its news to me and owning an f20 m135i with electric steering i can confidently say it is totally different to my old 130i lci. But i dont have any experience in a pre lci e87 so need to try one day..

• Like 1

Not the article mentioned above, but recent UK mags article of Tiff Needells BMWs to buy now as they are going to appreciate in value. 

28577287_10155021139752693_4049536769685123215_n.jpg

28468377_10155021139682693_5966507728583824864_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, qube said:

I need more info on the steering thing. Its news to me and owning an f20 m135i with electric steering i can confidently say it is totally different to my old 130i lci. But i dont have any experience in a pre lci e87 so need to try one day..

There are few articles around the place, babybmw etc etc. I thought it was common knowledge :D What rack is in HellBMs "130"... Might be a good excuse haha

hellbm's 130i started off as a pre lci afaik but who knows, might be using m3 running gear and rack?

2 minutes ago, qube said:

hellbm's 130i started off as a pre lci afaik but who knows, might be using m3 running gear and rack?

Im guessing so, dont the S65s do crazy stuff like unload all the ancillaries at full noise?  

Ill try get the to the next meet and your welcome to take mine for a blat. 

I understand the LCI models had an active steering option,  was this the electric steering rack or something different? Mine doesn't have the active steering option. 

1 hour ago, qube said:

Time to chime in.

My "140" started life as a 118i pre LCI. Running an M3 rack, all M3 suspension components ,KW coilovers with 135 hubs/Brakes front and rear. M3 dif and all rear M3 susp. components.

Pre LCI 130 steering rack is far superior to the  LCI Active steering option. So much better feel to it.

I rate the 130 highly enough to have put a few friends and family members into them.

Have a several E82 135`s and E87 130`s at Hellbm atm for parts and projects.

Edited by HELLBM
  • Like 1

So is is 100% clear that LCI (CIC iDrive) models have the eletronic steering and the pre-LCI (CCC iDrive flip up screen) has the hydraulic?

in which case it would make sense to go for a 2006-2008ish? model over the 2009+?

and is it the same for E82 135i's?

15 minutes ago, qube said:

So is is 100% clear that LCI (CIC iDrive) models have the eletronic steering and the pre-LCI (CCC iDrive flip up screen) has the hydraulic?

in which case it would make sense to go for a 2006-2008ish? model over the 2009+?

and is it the same for E82 135i's?

The E87 130`s have the option for Active steering both early and late.

E82 135`s Active Steering option came from Sept `07.

Edited by HELLBM

2 hours ago, HELLBM said:

Time to chime in.

My "140" started life as a 118i pre LCI. Running an M3 rack, all M3 suspension components ,KW coilovers with 135 hubs/Brakes front and rear. M3 dif and all rear M3 susp. components.

Pre LCI 130 steering rack is far superior to the  LCI Active steering option. So much better feel to it.

I rate the 130 highly enough to have put a few friends and family members into them.

Have a several E82 135`s and E87 130`s at Hellbm atm for parts and projects.

You wouldn't happen to have a MSport bumper on any of them to fit an e81? 

Or an engine undertray ?

6 hours ago, qube said:

I dont see "active steering" in my vin decoder for the old 130i. 

you'd know if you have (had)  it.  (at least in the e60), when parking it's less than one turn for full lock.  Takes a few days to get used to...

Not much to add other to say I've had a 530i LCI SE e60 and now have a 130i Msport and the 130i feels and especially sounds much more sporty and fun.

I'm actually a 5er fan really, but grabbed this 130i (auto) as I heard they were loadsa fun but still somewhat practical daily and have not been disappointed.

All 1 series need wheel spacers to complete the look tho.. still havent sorted mine!

Edited by mattsimis
  • Like 1