Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

BONG - Drivetrain Malfunction - Drive Moderately

Monday after a meeting I was getting onto the motorway when "bong" this error came up. The car went into limp mode, quite a bit of engine shake. Limped to Auckland City BMW, got a rental car organized through my American Express roadside assist benefit and proceeded to wait for BMW to quote repair. These result in anything from coils, fuel pumps, injectors, transmission...you name it.

Luckily it was only the no 8 cylinder ignition coil that needed replacing, but while the car was there BMW also found leaking turbo coolant lines as well as a cracked rear differential mount. Fun and games, but Dylan (my service advisor) only phone me with the news after he received approval from Autosure to carry out the work ?

Picked the car up yesterday, cost me $1500 in excesses (3 claims because they are all unrelated) for around $5000 of work. The rear diff mounting is particularly labour intensive since you pretty much disassemble the entire rear suspension to get to it.

Moral of the story, don't underestimate the value of warranties...

drivetrain-error.jpg

• Like 2