Sign in to follow this  
richard

A.I.

who thinks in 5 years or 10  that they'll be made redundant and their position will be filled by an A.I. bot

I expect aspects of my job will be done by software/ AI / robots, but i am not worried about being made redundant, i have a very diverse job description that involves everything from answering the phone to maintenance and repairs on machinery, product development, troubleshooting, quality control, driving and more, it would require several very capable and expensive technologies to replace one worker, just doesn't add up. By the time it becomes cost effective i hope to be retired anyway!

• Like 2

A.I is starting to become part of my job, crazy tech. 

I pose this question because A.I. is already here with the tracking of your purchases /looking at your browsing. Google, Amazon, Facebook all use algorithms and post adds on your screens. Most of you know this its been around for awhile. So analysts will go, so will statisticians and salespeople  your no longer need. And at some point computer programmers will be given the chop because your to slow.

In the building industry, where I work. As much as I think its technical and has many variables it to will be concord by A.I.as well.

its the small things that creep up on you, your phone, your car.

when Stephen Hawking says be careful we must sit up and take note.

Edited by richard
spelling

I’m just waiting for USA to announce Skynet, when that becomes self aware we all lose our jobs!!

• Haha 1

Yes Jon, its all shits and giggles until you cant pay the bills. Then what will you do.

I'll be retired in ten years and wont give a f**k:thumbs-up: but our kids still have to do something ,f**ked if he's hanging around my place playing on the Xbox until I'm dead.

When I first entered the Automotive Industry, almost thirty years ago, the A.I. Of the day “expert systems” were going to change everything. 

Now I can’t even remember the last time I saw or used one. 

As someone wiser than me said, the jobs our children will do haven’t been invented yet.

that's because 40 years ago they brought in robots to change the automotive industry  , I remember seeing  all the strikes on the news , the British car industry crumbing and being sold off to India. 

But I digress .

I use to laugh about there's no way my job would come under threat, but as I get older I see more and more (robotic) things happening, like premade kitchens, bathrooms built in factory's and delivered to site.

And A.I. is about doing ALL tasks that humans do . There wont be any jobs/use for humans. Or worse, we'll be slaves to the machine. If we an't already.

Dig a bit deeper Richard its closer than you think houses built from plans in a factory by machines module style assembled and transported  to the site. Only connecting to services required and final touches all to speed up the process and keep the cost down, personnal comment yeah right can see the price coming down in a pigs eye!

25 minutes ago, allan said:

Dig a bit deeper Richard its closer than you think houses built from plans in a factory by machines module style assembled and transported  to the site. Only connecting to services required and final touches all to speed up the process and keep the cost down, personnal comment yeah right can see the price coming down in a pigs eye!

That's just the start, highrise/apartment blocks are where its at.

6 hours ago, allan said:

Yep, in Australia Fastbrick Robotics have commenced their first outdoor commercial build with Hadrian X, their Robotic Bricklaying machine.  I've been following them for some time.   Before xmas Hadrian X had test built a 180 square metre dwelling in under 3 days that met all relevent structural standards.

https://www.fbr.com.au 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/one-armed-bricklaying-robot-security-secrets-2018-11

I do remember reading about moves to use A.I. for mundane legal work in the U.S., fewer lawyers oh what a shame

I am a dairy farmer. We will be around for a bit longer yet for a few reasons- fully automated farms exist but the terrain required not so much in NZ; robot milking machines are a thing but the cost is prohibitive as most farmers are already heavily indebted; the fact that to make these systems pay for themselves you need to farm intensively (efficiently) which we are told is naughty these days; also there is not yet any robot that can deal with all the situations and problems on the spot that occur in day to day farm life, however the technology exists to augment and complement what we do.

16 hours ago, richard said:

And A.I. is about doing ALL tasks that humans do . There wont be any jobs/use for humans.

That’s not a definition of A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) i’ve Seen before, you seem to be broadening it out to include automation, robotics and pre-fab manufacturing.

The 70s strikes were nothing to do with robots, but greedy unions wanting to protect lazy non-productive practices.

robotics were widely introduced in the 80s to much fanfare and most were then pulled out again in the 90s. Some are still in use in limited applications but not the 100% utopia that was originally promised.

Low cost manufacturing, whether it is cars, plastic crap or houses will always look to drive the price down. Low wage workers are more of a risk there than advanced systems I would suggest. 

you can either fear change or understand and embrace it and shape it. The only thing for certain is that there will be change.

• Like 1

I disagree, its part of the same package/side of the coin. Automation is just the first step to A.I. Take cell phones as a good example , the brick, send and receive calls only. And todays smartphones send and receive, internet capable, txt , can track you,  listen to you  remotely etc..  this technology has only taken 35years with the last 10-12 seeing huge jumps in advanced technology.

this is what I fear "Singularity" predicted in 2040. 20 years away when most of you will be in your prime.

And most if not all new technology is used in WAR before you/we get to see it.  

2 hours ago, richard said:

And most if not all new technology is used in WAR before you/we get to see it.  

Oh how I wish that were true. The military are last adopters not first, it's very difficult to replace human thought and adaptability on the battle front. 

It sure as hell would make my job easier if the military had more automation technology! 

7 minutes ago, huff3r said:

Oh how I wish that were true. The military are last adopters not first, it's very difficult to replace human thought and adaptability on the battle front. 

It sure as hell would make my job easier if the military had more automation technology! 

the jet engine, infra red, satellites, internet, swords, gunpowder, wheel, rockets. All part of killing by war machines. Even aeroplanes were part of it before they commercialized it.

NZ military with all due respect would be late to the party..

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

The difficulty is of course true AI is based on big data number crunching of data lakes by large supercomputers.  These are damned expensive to build and make work; typically the large IT companies such as Microsoft and IBM hire this tech to customers.  Military consumers of course are usually particularly reluctant to utilise systems that are shared or managed by third parties, for anything 'important'.

houses you say?Half the time the plans we get to build a house are seriously flawed.The latest house i am doing has a truss layout and a floor slab layout that dont match....and thats normal.And its it is far far from a complex house.Once that is done a lot of the very simple stuff in the factory is "automatic."The most complex of those machines is very labour intensive to keep going.

3 hours ago, richard said:

the jet engine, infra red, satellites, internet, swords, gunpowder, wheel, rockets. All part of killing by war machines. Even aeroplanes were part of it before they commercialized it.

NZ military with all due respect would be late to the party..

All last century. And actually believe it or not the NZ military is at the cutting edge in many ways. 

Nowadays new technology is often too expensive and too much of an unknown, when they can pay a soldier peanuts to do the same job, but with the adaptability to be trained for a different one as necessary. 

My job in particular could be greatly assisted by AI, but definitely not replaced. It is the Human factor that makes us as good as we are. 

25 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

houses you say?Half the time the plans we get to build a house are seriously flawed.The latest house i am doing has a truss layout and a floor slab layout that dont match....and thats normal.And its it is far far from a complex house.Once that is done a lot of the very simple stuff in the factory is "automatic."The most complex of those machines is very labour intensive to keep going.

No one said architects are smart.

There's so many cad drawing apps out there for them to chose from.

the real scary stuff will be when machines no longer need humans to teach / control / program them. Once AI is learning for itself it will very quickly out perform humans in whatever field it happens to be in, that is when we will see some quite highly skilled members of the workforce no longer required, but i think (hope) it is still a while before that will become commonplace. 

20 minutes ago, huff3r said:

All last century. And actually believe it or not the NZ military is at the cutting edge in many ways. 

Nowadays new technology is often too expensive and too much of an unknown, when they can pay a soldier peanuts to do the same job, but with the adaptability to be trained for a different one as necessary. 

My job in particular could be greatly assisted by AI, but definitely not replaced. It is the Human factor that makes us as good as we are. 

last century and some.

my point is we're well behind the 8 ball when it comes to technology that the main player have.

does china share military information with us. NO. ( apart from gunpowder ) 

3 minutes ago, aja540i said:

the real scary stuff will be when machines no longer need humans to teach / control / program them. Once AI is learning for itself it will very quickly out perform humans in whatever field it happens to be in, that is when we will see some quite highly skilled members of the workforce no longer required, but i think (hope) it is still a while before that will become commonplace.