Sign in to follow this  
NZ_InFerno

E81 130i 2008

Imported last year this is my new ride. It's the second BMW I've owned, my last car was a 2007 e90 325i M-Sport in Le Mans Blue. 

I looked for a new car for 6 months, initially I wanted a 335i coupe but drove a 130i and was immediately sold. The handling and power was so much fun I immediately switched to looking for LCI 130i and found this one. 

It's an e81 130i M-Sport with less than 50k kms and a beige leather interior which is basically mint. There has been a couple of things done to it, wheels and tyres replaced by what I understand is the newer 1 series 17" wheels and 245/45 tyres.  It's just had a ceramic coating and detail done, paint does look pretty good. 

Been a wee bit of drama in acquiring this car, when it turned up it was not in the condition it was described and driving it has revealed further issues. That is being dealt with through appropriate channels. 

It's a bit of a WIP now, so we shall see how far down the rabbit hole I go. 

I've had a few things mechanical and electrical fixed on it recently, it's been at Page European twice for diagnosis and repair (shout out to them for being awesome and helpful). I had previously given it a good clean and repaired a non functioning fuel flap, not much but electrical is a bit beyond my skills. It's also been at Winger BMW for a battery cable recall replacement. 

Recent work at Page:

- Trans service/fluid replacement 

- Oil change/filter 

- Vanos Solenoids replaced

- Gaskets replaced

- Door Rubber replaced 

- Various electrical repairs 

- Steering angle sensor fixed 

I plan to change the cabin air filter and regular air filter then drive it for a while. There is still various bodywork bits to fix to get it mint(minor stuff like underbody motor shield, light covers in the boot, jack points and major bits like bumpers) but mechanically it's top notch now and I'll need to save up as the car fund is a bit depleted currently. 

Stuff I had originally planned to do to it:

- 18" wheels preferably Msport or BMW

- LSD/suspension down the road a way

-  A tune of some description 

IMG_20190208_173321.jpg

IMG_20190208_173334.jpg

IMG-20181022-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181022-WA0002.jpg

Edited by NZ_InFerno
Updated info
  • Like 2

Ive seen one company (penrose somewhere?) offering a N52 tune, claimed something like 300bhp which sounds pretty "optimistic" :D Interesting to see the results though, nice car. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Ive seen one company (penrose somewhere?) offering a N52 tune, claimed something like 300bhp which sounds pretty "optimistic" :D Interesting to see the results though, nice car. 

Lol most ones I've seen were in the region of 15bhp increase. I don't really think it needs a whole lot more power, but altering the throttle/gearbox response and tuned for 98 would likely make a great drive feel even better. At least that's my thinking. 

keep an eye out for a 135i exhaust to put on there, makes a nice difference!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, qube said:

keep an eye out for a 135i exhaust to put on there, makes a nice difference!

The current exhaust sounds very nice, more grunty than the stock 130i one but still quiet at 50 or 100kmh.

I've ordered a K&N Air filter(already got the sticker lol) and engine undershield from ebay tonight. Both were good deals and, being brand new, hard to pass up. 

Got a cabin air filter locally too so will be popping them all on when the ebay bits arrive. 

Put the K&N filter in today and replaced a couple of jack points. 

Been doing some cleaning and inspecting on my new E87 130i that's an identical spec and wondered why it's suspension looked different to this one considering they both have Msport Suspension. 

l discovered that this has upgraded suspension on it. I thought it was a little flatter through the corners but put it down to the lower kms on the car. No wonder it handles like it's on rails. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

What is the upgraded suspension? 

Had a look underneath and I don't think the fronts have been upgraded but it has yellow Bilstein stuff on the rears. Or at least the sticker says Bilstein ?

Saw this at Victoria Uni last week! Unfortunately I didn’t get the number plate, but just managed to sneak in a pic. Pretty sure it only had a single exhaust, so 120i? 

My mate was slightly puzzled when I audibly gasped and whipped out my phone to take a photo of a 4 pot 1 Series, but after explaining the rarity of these cars he was a bit more understanding...

403B629F-E273-4898-999C-AD91303DDEE2.jpeg

Edited by BozzaFC
Mate thinks I’ve got a problem
  • Like 1

130i has the dual exhaust but you're right it's a rare car. If you had the first 7 digits of that models vin code(should be WBAUB for the first 5 digits followed by two numbers for the model code) you could use the nzta database to see how many are in the country. 

It looks like an Msport with the wheels and bumper. 

Update:

Just picked up my car after barely driving it for 6 weeks due to bumper damage and needing new shocks.

Now has a shiny new front bumper and wheel alignment courtesy of a potential buyer giving a concrete parking bollard a nudge. Cost me $30, bargain :D

Have also fitted new B4 Bilstein front shocks plus top hats, bumpstops, dust covers etc last weekend. 

Planning to put the Supersprint exhaust back box from my E87 back on to it and swap the 18" wheels over too, I've mostly been driving the E87 recently and I really like the stance and look of the wheels plus the exhaust note is top drawer! 

Will still be up for sale but as its had even more cash poured into it I wont be selling it cheap and am quite happy to keep driving it around. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, qube said:

so you are still selling the E81 and keeping the E87?

Sounds like the other way around if he is swapping wheels and exhaust to the 3dr?

Honestly shocked you haven't been able to sell the E81, it's a cool car and rare. Nicer than the last one that was on the tards, white with gangsta stripes. 

Probably cuz of the price and the tan interior. I would have been keen otherwise as i really like the 2 door version

Tan interior is nicer in person than in photos. So much nicer than black leather.

I don’t mind the seats in tan but the carpet and dash in tan is not my style for me. 

8 hours ago, qube said:

I don’t mind the seats in tan but the carpet and dash in tan is not my style for me. 

Concur - interesting that UK/NZ market cars almost all have black carpet / mats regardless of upholstery colour, whereas the Jap / US market are often a festival in beige. Lots of beemers have brown interiors here in Canada too.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, KwS said:

Sounds like the other way around if he is swapping wheels and exhaust to the 3dr?

Honestly shocked you haven't been able to sell the E81, it's a cool car and rare. Nicer than the last one that was on the tards, white with gangsta stripes. 

I haven't been actively selling the car for a couple of months while waiting for insurance to come through, and for the shocks to arrive and for time to put them in. I did have someone else keen to buy it but they, like myself, got sick of the insurance taking so long to sort out the bumper.

Will kill the E81 listing once I've sorted out the swap over between cars of the exhaust back-box and wheels and make a new one up on trademe/bimmersport. Car has a fair amount of money in it now in upgrades/repairs so will be asking a bit more for it. Found it had an aftermarket swaybar in it too when putting the bilsteins in. 

Was under the car today (and the E87) checking the shocks/suspension and sway bar. 

This car has bilsteins front(new ones) and rear. The sway bar I noted earlier is Eibach and a dark red colour. There is one fitted to the rear too. Previous owner has been doing suspension upgrades. 

Compared to the E87, which has completely stock suspension as far as I can tell, the sway bars are much thicker. 

Good find, Eibachs arent cheap to land here. Most aftermarket bars are much bigger than stock especially when going from non msport, I went from a 22.5>27mm in the front and 13<18mm in rear with my Eibachs. 

Did you sell this in the end? Been seeing it out and about a bit recently. Looks good, and sure sticks out being 3 door and all.

Yeah it's been driven a lot more now that all the insurance stuff has been sorted. Looks really nice with the new bumper on there. Also put a replacement undertray in to complete the front end. 

It will be put up for sale again soon, got a relative dealing with it as I've been a bit busy lately.